Shorts

GPierotti
GPierotti Posts: 104
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Relitively new to mountain biking, loving it but not got loads of gear, i'm currently using undershorts with board shorts over them.
Anyone else doing the same or can point me in the direction of some budget but decent shorts?

Comments

• Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I wear padded shorts underneath normal shorts.. 8)
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • GPierotti
    Awesome, you had any long term problems like a soggy backside? haha
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just wear boxers underneath baggies for most rides, but I swap the boxers for padded lycra shorts for long all-day rides.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    GPierotti wrote:
    Awesome, you had any long term problems like a soggy backside? haha

nope. unless I fall off into something wet! lo
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I like endura humvees, they come with a detachable click in padded lycra inner, so on a short ride I don't bother with it, for longer rides it clips in neatly.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2011
    I've got some humvees (stupid auto-correct!)but I don't like the fit. The legs are too tight. They must be made for sparrows or something. If I go up a size, the waist is just massive.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    get to lidl mountain bike week, excellant padded underpants then normal baggies over the top, or not if you are feeling fruity :shock:
  • GPierotti
    Awesome, wasn't sure of any advantage to bike specific baggies, except for maybe waterproof ones.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    don't have a problem with humvees but the singletracks are cut a bit tight
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    GPierotti wrote:
    Awesome, wasn't sure of any advantage to bike specific baggies, except for maybe waterproof ones.

I'm going to get some Singletracks. Been riding recently in normal shorts and the problems I have had include:

1. Saddle getting wedged in rear pocket when getting on the bike
    2. Saddle getting caught in shorts leg when moving about on the bike.
  • GPierotti
    Nifer wrote:
    GPierotti wrote:

I'm going to get some Singletracks. Been riding recently in normal shorts and the problems I have had include:

1. Saddle getting wedged in rear pocket when getting on the bike
    2. Saddle getting caught in shorts leg when moving about on the bike.

Thats why i was using board shorts, they don't have a back pocket and the legs are quite long so they have been pretty good
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i use some cheap shorts from the market with elasticated waist they do the job and are made of thin material almost like swimmign shorts so the seams don't cause a problem, boxers underneath or padded lycra for long rides
  • I've got some humvees (stupid auto-correct!)but I don't like the fit. The legs are too tight. They must be made for sparrows or something. If I go up a size, the waist is just massive.

Same here, not on the Humvees but Altura 3/4's.

My mahoooosive thighs are just too rad!!!
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    Endura singletrack shorts for me I love em make all the difference, and yes i have skinny legs.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Ian43 wrote:
    Endura singletrack shorts for me I love em make all the difference, and yes i have skinny legs.

As a fellow Humvee/Singletrack user I would have to say that the word you are looking for here is svelte

EDIT... indeed, the example is "<the svelte mountain biker seemed to float across the rock garden>" before slamming into a tree
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Anyone got any info on when Lidl or Aldi are next likely to be getting bike stock in? Lost half the stuff I got last time!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I have to admit i ride Humvee's but i have trouble with most shorts these included.

Im a 28"-30" waist. But i'm about 6'2" tall so most of the shorts sit like short shorts on me because to be tall every clothes make in biking thinks you have to be a fatty :s
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Did my first year back on the bike in a pair of Sports Direct Karrimor shorts. They were ok. Bit of padding to take the edge off.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • .Brucey.
    .Brucey. Posts: 66
    Fox Rangers, £29.99 on Leisure Lakes Bikes. Ive got two pairs, come with a liner with a padded saddle bit, adjustable waist, I had to get a size bigger as not too generous on the waist but great everywhere else, also come with a goggle wipe in a side pocket incase you get fogged up or muddy on the eyewear lol.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=13804
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    love my humvees.

I'm 5'10" with 34 waist and the mediums feel snug, but really very comfy. And they don't snag on the saddle or seat clamp etc.

They feel almost like cotton, even though they're a man made fibre.

Plus there's loads of zipped pockets for phone, keys, money etc. I just use regular padded shorts with them as well as the supplied Endura click in shorts.

Plus my LBS were doing them at £30, so a no-brainer really.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Endura firefly shorts here. They have a padded liner in them.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • p3eps
    p3eps Posts: 7
    I have to admit i ride Humvee's but i have trouble with most shorts these included.

Im a 28"-30" waist. But i'm about 6'2" tall so most of the shorts sit like short shorts on me because to be tall every clothes make in biking thinks you have to be a fatty :s

I know what you mean - and not just in cycling gear. I'm a 32-34" waist and the same height. It seems that most manufacturers (whether its snowboarding stuff, golf stuff or general gym clothes) have the same problem that the waist reflects the leg length... so in order to get something long enough I end up with a 38" waist!!

I ended up with a pair of Altura Mayhem 3/4 length shorts. They come with a detachable padded ass insert too and are baggy and comfy.
  • Shotsaway
    Shotsaway Posts: 175
    Cyclestore are offering the Endura Burner shorts with a built in liner for £29.99

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... goryID=313
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Basically bike shorts should have a seamless crotch panel and should be slightly higher at the back of the waist. They're almost always made of man made fibres so they are fast drying, even if they're not fully waterproof. I don't buy shorts with built in or removable liners, the padded part is the most important aspect of the shorts and the quality of built in or removable liners doesn't cut the mustard. I use Endura Equipe or FS-260 Pro Bibshorts. Worth every penny, seriously
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?