Wessex Ridgeway

KERM1T
KERM1T Posts: 24
edited May 2014 in Routes
I'm planning on cycling the Wessex Ridgeway with some mates in July. Having never ridden around that area had a few questions.

What is the route like? Easy/hard/well marked out/ technical? Some of my party are pretty inexperienced riders, was going to do it in 3 days. Will be a late start on 1st day as we're coming from Sussex/Kent/London. Is there a better direction to do it in?

Also it seems very light on accommodation round there, any B&B along the route or campsites?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• kja
    kja Posts: 259
    Have you had a look at the dorsetforyou website? I think there's some info on the Ridgeway there. I think the Dorset section is well signed on the ground. My bro and I went up to the Marlborough downs a few weeks ago, we hit a bit of the Ridgeway around the Avebury area. There's a youth Hostel in Clyffe Pypard but that might be a bit early on the route for you. HTH
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Google is your friend ...

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/downloads.asp?PageId=2

The bits I know in West Berks are straightforward byways - beware the 4 x 4s use the Ridgeway (at least in parts) and it can be heavily rutted. If it's been wet it turns to rutted muddy slop.
  • dgmorris
    dgmorris Posts: 4
    ACCOMMODATION OFFERED FOR TOUR OF WESSEX DUE TO CANCELLATION - If anyone doing Tour of Wessex 2014 is still scrabbling around for accommodation, I have a nice hotel room booked and paid for (Premier Inn Glastonbury - only 20 mins from Somerton by car), over Friday, Saturday and Sunday eve, which I need to get rid of. Unfortunately, I've picked up an injury which looks likely to end my season, so I've had to cancelled my entry. Contact David Morris 07979 530424