Working from the saddle!

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
After all this time as a fake commuter (because I didn't have a job) it appears that I'm not only going to be commuting to work for 6 weeks starting on Monday but I'm going to be working from the bike!

To get myself off the dole, I applied for a job as a census collector going from house to house in the area getting people who haven't returned their census forms to do so. I got it and I've just cleared it for working by bike. And I'm allowed 20p expenses per mile for the bike while in the work area, which is only a couple of miles away. (Cue convoluted route planning....)

So not only will I get in some genuine commuting but I'm also going to get paid for cycling for a good part of spring! They even throw in the hi-viz urban camouflage for free :lol:

At under a tenner an hour I'm not going to get rich but that's not the point. Getting 20p for every mile I cycle in the work area strikes me as ineffably cool! The more I cycle the more I'll be able to buy a better bike...

Anyhow, I've just calculated that if I had been paid 20p expenses for every mile I've ridden on my current bike, I would have earned over £1600. How big would your expense claim add up to? Or, if you prefer, what bike would it have bought you?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Congrats!
    Getting paid to ride sounds like heaven. You are now a professional cyclist!

Have you started doping yet?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Well done. If you need help with your preparation the folk on Pro Race have probably got the addresses of clincs in Spain which may be of assistance. :wink:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Congrats Mr Marmoset! Excellent news!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Congrats!
    Getting paid to ride sounds like heaven. You are now a professional cyclist!

Have you started doping yet?

It's funny really - I think most of the recent cycling I've done is because cycling stops me getting depressed about not having a job (and the role and status that those jobs confer). Getting paid for doing something you do because you're not getting paid is a very very strange concept. It's the kind of idea I could only get my head around on a bike :wink:

Doping shouldn't be a problem - rehydrating with alcohol might be, though...still, I don't have to work mornings! :wink:
  • Well done. If you need help with your preparation the folk on Pro Race have probably got the addresses of clincs in Spain which may be of assistance. :wink:

I'm going to celebrate with a slap up meal: boeuf contador, ibex potatoes with extra mountain goat sauce washed down with a smooth glass of tiger's blood sounds about perfect to me :wink:
  • congratulations DM, really pleased you're getting some paid miles in :)
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Going of last year im owed £600 so thats a surly cross bike then
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
  • It all adds up, doesn't it?