Why are We Tolerating Boy Racers on Our Roads?

Berk Bonebonce
Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
There's a lot of effort these days put into making roads safer. So why don't we get rid of this bunch of s*** for brains cretins that positively revel in the 'boy racer' name? If a young male driver views his car as some type of racer-type vehicle, well then by default he starts to view the roads as some kind of race track. The evidence is as plain as your nose: high rates of vehicle collisions involving young male drivers.

Comments

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    so basically no young males should be able to drive cars ...... ??
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Because so many of us were one once?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Have you seen what they pay for insurance? I'm amazed there so many of them!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    unixnerd wrote:

And fuel isn't getting any cheaper!

If we get enough boy racers on the road, students will be back to full grants!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Pedal!!!
    Pedal!!! Posts: 14
    unixnerd wrote:

Lots of peoples way around insurance is "fronting", i.e. they say mum is the main driver. Bit dodgy now though as more and more people are being prosecuted for fraud
    See, because of me now they have a warning
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    Pedal!!! wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Lots of peoples way around insurance is "fronting", i.e. they say mum is the main driver. Bit dodgy now though as more and more people are being prosecuted for fraud

clamping down REALLY hard on that at the moment
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Yep. Especially now that modern engines develop so much power; even a sub-1000cc car will be able to hit 90 to 100mph comfortably.

Motorbikes for 16-year-olds are power limited IIRC; perhaps cars should be too? Perhaps some sort of super-fuel-efficient 65bhp hatchback for the under-25s?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    unixnerd wrote:

Insurance for teen drivers is crazy. Was chatting with an 18 year old last weekend who pays £3,000 for insurance on a 1l fiesta.

He is from a well off family and is paying himself. God knows how much pocket money his parents are giving him as I know he doesn't that much in his part time job. But that's beside the point. £3,000
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Never thought I'd be defending boy racers but....as already pointed out they are already penalised by insurance costs plus how would you measure who is a boy racer and who isn't? Subtle side skirts and alloys ok but drilled aluminium pedals and the 'racing' fuel filler cap a bit too much? Also I know a few middle aged men in much more powerful cars who also treat the roads like a racetrack.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    As much as I detest boy racer types I can't say they are any worse than the lorry drivers who drive an inch away from each other on the motorway or the idiot I spotted this morning reading his kindle whilst doing 80 in the outside lane in his repmobile. Plenty of tw@ts out there, young, old, male, female......there are even some on bikes.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Purely from personal experience, a 35+mph descent on a bike gives more of a buzz than 120mph on a motorway. I think that F1 drivers like Button and Webber, who both have a cycling background, could be perfect ambassadors for making cycling, fitness, road sense on a bike attractive to young men - and very probably to young women following in their slipstream.

Being scalped by young kids would be a bit of a problem for us fathers and granddads, but hey, it's better than getting killed by people who've started driving before they've understood speed and danger, and who confuse driving fast with foreplay...
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I just wish they'd stop putting silly splitters on their Corsas/Saxos/Evos/Imprezas/GTOs as they're a real pain to negotiate on an extended stretch of speed bumps.

McLaren run a higher front wing than some of these pillocks to deal with the undulations of Spa. The sleeping policemen on the A183 deserve more respect.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    People who modify their cars into racer-type vehicles invariably also view roads as some kind of race track.
  • BikeSwan
    BikeSwan Posts: 260
    Im grinning looking at all these replies. I'm 17 and live in Canada, as I moved from England when I was 10. I think the power limit for new bike riders is 35bhp in England. Here (Canada) there is no limit. My current bike is a 950cc, 98bhp KTM 950 Super Enduro R. AND GUESS WHAT . . . I haven't died yet :).

In regards to this "issue" it's not young drivers that are the problem. It's those stupid idiots with there hats backwards and think there so cool because you can see their boxers cause their jeans are so low. It's not young drivers, it's the idiots. The only reason there aren't any adult versions of these idiots is because they realize how bad there ass looks in those jeans.

I hate the discrimination against young drivers / riders. I was once knocked off my push bike when I was 15 and the arse tried to convince the police that the accident happened because I was young. He had no evidence to back him up and he ended paying me double the amount for bike damages than he would have originally and that is why I have a beautiful KTM sitting downstairs.

It's not the young, It's the stupid.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    BikeSwan wrote:
    Im grinning looking at all these replies. I'm 17 and live in Canada, as I moved from England when I was 10. I think the power limit for new bike riders is 35bhp in England. Here (Canada) there is no limit. My current bike is a 950cc, 98bhp KTM 950 Super Enduro R. AND GUESS WHAT . . . I haven't died yet :).

In regards to this "issue" it's not young drivers that are the problem. It's those stupid idiots with there hats backwards and think there so cool because you can see their boxers cause their jeans are so low. It's not young drivers, it's the idiots. The only reason there aren't any adult versions of these idiots is because they realize how bad there ass looks in those jeans.

I hate the discrimination against young drivers / riders. I was once knocked off my push bike when I was 15 and the ars* tried to convince the police that the accident happened because I was young. He had no evidence to back him up and he ended paying me double the amount for bike damages than he would have originally and that is why I have a beautiful KTM sitting downstairs.

It's not the young, It's the stupid.

You're a sample of just 1.

The statistics show that young drivers/riders are more likely to be involved in fatal accidents. Just because you have managed to avoid it does not invalidate the analysis.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    What about those boy racers on bikes with the full carbon bling - 88m width carbon wheels, carbon this, carbon that.
    :lol:
  • GPierotti
    GPierotti Posts: 104
    i've paid £3799 over the last 3 years in car insurance as a result of other idiot young male drivers!!
    i'm 23 so got a few years to go before it's reduced by much!!
    I could have an extra bike for that!!
  • #7rider
    #7rider Posts: 24
    Cracking down on insurance would be fairly effective way of helping congestion in London if the estimated figure of a million uninsured is even partly true.

Just need insurance to be shown on windscreens like tax discs.

I don't believe all these under-25s with BMW M3s in West London are insured properly if at all !
  • 21 years old here and my insurance is pretty cheap, £800 a year at the moment.

I do consider myself a bit of a petrol head but I never ever treat a public road like a race track, that's what race tracks were built for.

Had a long term cycling buddy who passed his test and got a car, he's a lover of cars and drives like a tard. I've never been in his car since I've seen how he drives it.

You do have to consider the Audi/BMW drivers who persist on doing about 90mph on the A7. :roll:
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    There's a lot of effort these days put into making roads safer. So why don't we get rid of this bunch of s*** for brains cretins that positively revel in the 'boy racer' name? If a young male cyclist views his bike as some type of racer-type vehicle, well then by default he starts to view the roads as some kind of race track. The evidence is as plain as your nose: high rates of vehicle collisions involving young male cyclists.

Someone own you while SCRing? ;)http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12575770
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    :lol: Insurance???

You'll find a large majority haven't actually got insurance.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    unixnerd wrote:

Maybe a slight generalisation but I think you'd be suprised at actually how many drive without insurance because of the cost. That's more worrying than anything else if they hit someone, or worse.

I have a few mates in the force in case you wonder how I know..;-)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Clearly the Darwin Principle is at work here, judging by the fatality rates and bunches of flowers you see tied to trees with a little picture of dear sweet johnny who was only trying to impress his mates driving at 90 around a blind bend in the wet on the wrong side of the road! Frankly, I don't care whether they choose to deplete their own recessive gene pool, but it's the lack of regard for others plus their sense of entitlement to drive - the reason it's so bloody expensive is because statistically they're a liability and I'm not going to subsidise their incompetence. There's enough traffic on the road and with the way that fuel prices are going, any measure that keeps the little sh*ts off the road is fine by my book.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    #7rider wrote:
    Cracking down on insurance would be fairly effective way of helping congestion in London if the estimated figure of a million uninsured is even partly true.

I don't believe all these under-25s with BMW M3s in West London are insured properly if at all !
    It already is.

You can't get a tax disc without valid insurance and MoT.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    sampras38 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Maybe a slight generalisation but I think you'd be suprised at actually how many drive without insurance because of the cost. That's more worrying than anything else if they hit someone, or worse.

I have a few mates in the force in case you wonder how I know..;-)

Apparently 1 in 6 drivers is uninsured :shock:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    People who modify their cars into racer-type vehicles invariably also view roads as some kind of race track.

Bollox. Some people customise their cars, motorcycles etc because it gives them satisfaction and it looks nice, just like cyclists riding bikes in team colours or wearing team jerseys.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • When I was in hospital a few years ago having had my femur snapped by a careless driver, a guy in his mid-20s or a bit older came in after a typical boy-racer crash. His friend had been trying to take a curve at 100 mph and they ended up in a field. The guy in hospital had another friend sat on his lap in the car, and they'd listened to the driver's last words as he died alongside them.

What really struck me was that he showed virtually no remorse for any of this at all, as if it was just bad luck or something. This was a guy with his own business and a child (separated from the mother, naturlich). When he came in I thought he was on death's door he was making such a fuss, turned out the little pussy didn't even have a cracked rib and he was out of hospital well before me. You have to wonder what goes on in their heads (not a lot, I guess). They seem to have no sense of responsibility or what effect their actions have on the world, and expect everyone else to pick up the pieces around them.

And the bugger nicked some of my flowers from hospital, lol.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    #7rider wrote:

It already is.

That doesn't mean the driver is insured though.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    #7rider wrote:

It already is.

That doesn't mean the driver is insured though.

+1, You can soon cancel insurance.

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    To the OP - "Why are we tolerating boy racers on our roads?"

What's the realistic alternative?