Police and stolen bikes???

richg1979
richg1979 Posts: 1,087
edited March 2011 in MTB general
A mate of mine had 2 of his bikes pinched from his garage just after xmas and scince then hes been keeping an eye on ebay and forums ect for the bikes to pop up.

well a few days ago an identicle frame to his poped up on ebay with other pics of the complete bike scattered across the net with various parts of it for sale, so my mate aranged to go and view/buy the frame to confirm serial no's ect and it did turn out to be his along with other parts of the 2nd bike in this guys shed.

the police was called and when they turned up they was more interested if my mate had threatend the guy at all and had no intrest in the stolen bikes and said pretty much to sort it out between your selves :shock:

so now this guy has agreed to recover all the parts by the weekend.

but shouldnt the police have arested him for at least posession of stolen goods and poss burglery as he did have parts from both bikes??

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Did he report it to the police at the time with the frame number, and get an incident number from the police? Does he have proof of ownership?
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    WTF

Was it a case "Oh, I did not know it was stolen?" The only reason I can think of?
  • richg1979
    edited March 2011
    Yes my mate reported it the day they were stolen and he has the recipt with serial no.

He knew it was stolen because he fitted the frame with diffrent parts on ebay to make it look like a diffrent bike, and said he had the recipt from when he bought it wich he had lost when later asked :lol:
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    I was pulled over last week by the police at the cash point because i was on my bike

That looks an expensive bike is it yours?

Erm yeah it is and it was

Can you prove it's yours?

Not at the minute but i only know of two Meta 5.5's in the whole of Leigh, ones red and the other ones white which belongs to my riding buddy so if they go missing you know what your looking for now

MAke sure you don't ride on the pavement (panda car drives off)
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    richg1979 wrote:
    yes my mate reported it the day they were stolen and he has the recipt with serial no.

Sounds like a poor show then. Will have a word with my brother who is a PC and ask him on the course of usual action.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Was a young lad in tesco a few months back. Riding an orange alpine 160, with some real nice parts fitted. It had been sprayed black with rattle cans. He said he'd just swapped it with a mate, for his decathlon bike.

Went straight to cops and reported it. Not saying his story wasn't true, but definately something not quite right. Don't think the police chased it up, lads were sat in foyer at tesco, so would have been on CCTV.
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Has your mate lodged a complaint? It is the job of the police to investigate crime and it sounds (from what you've described) like one has occurred. If he's not happy with the service, complain - just like you would if you bought faulty goods from a shop.
  • richg1979
    I thinks its more down to cost cutting by the police force.

stolen push bike?? big deal, there more interested in making £30 from people doing 31mph in a 30.

they know it will be a slap on the wrists so just cant be botherd with the paperwork and costs involved.

last week a mate of mine watched someone brake into his neighbours house and called the police, who turned up 4 hours later.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    I was pulled over last week by the police at the cash point because i was on my bike

That looks an expensive bike is it yours?

Erm yeah it is and it was

Can you prove it's yours?

Not at the minute but i only know of two Meta 5.5's in the whole of Leigh, ones red and the other ones white which belongs to my riding buddy so if they go missing you know what your looking for now

MAke sure you don't ride on the pavement (panda car drives off)

That happened to me at a petrol garage (mate was inside getting drinks), in full helmet, Fox/Royal clothing, gloves and backpack attire.

"Is that yours?"

"Why, dont I look like mountain biker?"

"Just checking"

"Riiiiiiiight"
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    richg1979 wrote:
    I thinks its more down to cost cutting by the police force.

stolen push bike?? big deal, there more interested in making £30 from people doing 31mph in a 30.

they know it will be a slap on the wrists so just cant be botherd with the paperwork and costs involved.

last week a mate of mine watched someone brake into his neighbours house and called the police, who turned up 4 hours later.

They'd soon turn up if you told them you'd be going across with a gun although then you'd be charged with wasting police time
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Last april we had my Santa Cruz Chameleon Full decked out and worth about £2750 and the wifes off the peg speccy FSR WSD worth about £1250 stolen from our out house at our home on a RAF Camp!!!!! Yep behind armed guard!! Both bikes were data tag'd. We had the civ police and RAF police to our house to take prints pictures take descriptions take serial numbers and get in contact with data tag.

I saw my bike in the next town along from us and some kid was riding it so I followed him carefully in the car to his house, rang the police who pitched up and went in to the house to confront the family.

The dad turned out to be an electrical contractor that had been working on camp that week however although the bike scanned as my bike there wasn't enough evidence to say he'd knicked it, half of the wifes bike was in the house ( forks and groupset but no frame) so that was inconclusive. Apparantly they had bought them at a car boot sale on the sunday they were stolen???? Yeah right.

Any way they made an official complaint about me following a minor to the civi police who graseed to to the MP's and I got a massive bollocking from the RAF Police due to the complaint made against me, a full on best blues and a shouting at!!!!

The response I got was I pay innsurance sto crying and take your shiney new bikes.

Fair??

Me thinks not!!
  • pilsburypie
    pilsburypie Posts: 891
    I posted this a month or so back. My fuel ex8 was nicked off my car outside my house. Spotted it on eBay 3 months later and called police. They came round my house same day and took details. Went to the blokes house next day arrested him and bought my bike back.

They have kept me informed that they now have 3 people on bail ranging from handling stolen goods to theft. They will inform me of the hearing and sentence.

I was absolutely stunned about the excellent service the police provided me with and the hard line they took with the crooks. Big up west midlands police!
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Police complaints commision, thats what they are there for.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i'm still waiting for the Police to come and take prints from a lock when mine was stolen in 2009. They never even bothered returning my call.

My motorbikes was stolen in Jan and i got one call saying "we've not found it, consider it closed".
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Last april we had my Santa Cruz Chameleon Full decked out and worth about £2750 and the wifes off the peg speccy FSR WSD worth about £1250 stolen from our out house at our home on a RAF Camp!!!!! Yep behind armed guard!! Both bikes were data tag'd. We had the civ police and RAF police to our house to take prints pictures take descriptions take serial numbers and get in contact with data tag.

I saw my bike in the next town along from us and some kid was riding it so I followed him carefully in the car to his house, rang the police who pitched up and went in to the house to confront the family.

The dad turned out to be an electrical contractor that had been working on camp that week however although the bike scanned as my bike there wasn't enough evidence to say he'd knicked it, half of the wifes bike was in the house ( forks and groupset but no frame) so that was inconclusive. Apparantly they had bought them at a car boot sale on the sunday they were stolen???? Yeah right.

Any way they made an official complaint about me following a minor to the civi police who graseed to to the MP's and I got a massive bollocking from the RAF Police due to the complaint made against me, a full on best blues and a shouting at!!!!

The response I got was I pay innsurance sto crying and take your shiney new bikes.

Fair??

Me thinks not!!

wow i cant belive that! I am getting angry just thinking about it! I would be very tempted to nick it back, send in some heavies!
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203

That is absolutely disgusting... :twisted:

I don't know how you contained yourself, I'd have gone down the civil police complaints route. How the fek isn't there enough evidence to proceed?

I would also have requested a meeting with your base commander (not sure if that's the correct term, but you know what I mean). Isn't base security the MP's responsibility?

I would also inform your insurance company of what has happened, they would probably also want something done about this, after all, if plod had done their job they may well have not been paying out quite as much to compensate you for your loss...

Also, is it an offence to follow a minor? Especially if the minor is comitting a criminal offence (handling).

I once followed a couple of kids who threw stones at my car. saw what house they ran in to and pulled up outside. I saw the kid obviously spinning his dad a yarn and then the dad came stomping out of the house towards me looking very angry. Luckily for me I think being 6'4" and dressed like a thug (football shirt, jeans & DM's, well it was a few years ago) made him think twice about what he was planning on doing. So he stopped and asked me what was happening, I explained and he said that he was really sorry and would sort them out. Exactly what my dad would have done to me.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    And they wonder these days why no-one gives a dam about the police, NWA said it best on their 1989 release Straight Outta Compton..... :evil:

I'd like to do some very evil things to bike thieves......
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Unfortunately, Junior ranks don't generally get access to the CO. Not unless you've done something really bad or really good lol.

I know of a lad in Cyprus, who had his car smashed into by a russian woman, she had no licence, no insurance and was driving her Boss's (pimps) car. He was told not to make a fuss and just claim on his insurance, and if he did cause a fuss, he'd be posted back to the UK very quickly.
    God forbid the RAF police ever had to do their job properly, anything for an easy life.
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Sounds familiar!!

It was a case of do not drag the RAF into the papers or news take this formal chat on the wrists no more will be said if it is you will be back in front of me with a formal warning and promotion frozen for three years!!!

God i Love and live to serve!!!!!!
  • paulbox
    Sounds familiar!!

It was a case of do not drag the RAF into the papers or news take this formal chat on the wrists no more will be said if it is you will be back in front of me with a formal warning and promotion frozen for three years!!!

Have you tried letting your insurance lose with the facts, let them kick up a fuss...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    PaulBox wrote:
    Sounds familiar!!

Have you tried letting your insurance lose with the facts, let them kick up a fuss...

That is fookin disgraceful, surprised in this day and age that this hasn't come to the public eye,

You serve and protect this country, yet no one protects or tries to protect your property or interests it seems.
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    PaulBox wrote:
    I once followed a couple of kids who threw stones at my car. saw what house they ran in to and pulled up outside. I saw the kid obviously spinning his dad a yarn and then the dad came stomping out of the house towards me looking very angry. Luckily for me I think being 6'4" and dressed like a thug (football shirt, jeans & DM's, well it was a few years ago) made him think twice about what he was planning on doing. So he stopped and asked me what was happening, I explained and he said that he was really sorry and would sort them out. Exactly what my dad would have done to me.

do you recon the cnut did anything? If his kids are r-soles then I doubt very much he'd give a fek

- edit > not your dad :D
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • Regarding the op question. The police should have locked up the people who were at the house where the bike was found, for the original burglary.
    The bike would then be recovered by Police, a stament from the owner to say it is theirs, and why they think it is theirs.
    Arrested people interviewed and if enough evidence charged with burglay, handling or if they come up with a good enough 'tale' nothing would probably happen to them.
    Bike returned to owner
    Thats what I would have done
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    It should have been dealt with as per Pilsburypies post.

Ring your local Police Station and ask to speak to an Inspector. Make a complaint about the way it was investigated. If you can prove the property was yours and the cops failed to recover it, they then become responsible. There is a piece of legislation called the Police Property Act. They have to take property into their possession if ownership is brought into question.
    Stolen property will always remain the property of the owner unless settled by way of a court order or insurance payout, when it then becomes the property of the insurance company.
    You must make a complaint and stick to it. They may then even have to pay you the value of the bike. You can also tell your local MP if you don't get to speak to an Inspector.
    Good luck
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    I should have said, on the face of what you have said the Police should have arrested him and recovered the bike / parts.
  • paulbox
    motopatter wrote:
    do you recon the cnut did anything? If his kids are r-soles then I doubt very much he'd give a fek

- edit > not your dad :D
    No idea mate, but I never saw them throwing stones at cars again...