It's official, CRC customers scammed...

bigeuan82
bigeuan82 Posts: 11
edited April 2011 in The bottom bracket
Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere but after much speculation it would appear that Chain Reaction Cycles have admitted that some customers details have been used to process fraudulent transactions.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/17/cc_fraud_follows_bike_store_purchases/

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Where does it say they've admitted anything?

That's just a cut-and-paste from the statement CRC has been circulating on forums and their Facebook page since the rumours started. Still, it's good that it's getting attention outside the cycling world; more of an incentive for CRC to find a cause, even if it's not them directly.
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    Ive been stung with that! Twats did a £20 vodaphone top up and tried to do another 15 later that day. Luckily my bank cought wind of it and stopped them. Cancled my card and sent me a new one. Itll be some immigrant crime ring!!

Surely the should be able to trace the phone the top-ups went to??
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Phone top-ups don't go anywhere really. That's the point. By doing it the fraudster quickly confirms whether the card details can be used to make larger transactions. £20 or £30 is absolutely insignificant to them.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I'm not sure what the OP is using to get either his title or the alleged admission by CRC

Firstly- a website claiming something on the basis of hearsay is not "official"

Secondly -an organisation looking at its systems would seem to be an investigation not an admission of fault
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Itll be some immigrant crime ring!!

I think the BNP have a forum that may suit you more than here ........
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    A simple trace on their records of cards fraudulently used will show up which member of staff did the transactions and hey presto, there's your suspect.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Just use paypal if buying anything on there.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    some geezer from crc has just posted this in the MTB section, thought it might be missed so here it is:

Hi Folks,

Since our last communication, we have continued to carry out a full forensic investigation following recent reports and concerns from our customers experiencing credit card fraud after placing an order with CRC.

The independent forensic investigation has shown that our infrastructure was the target of a sophisticated attack which resulted in the theft of card details relating to a number of our customers. Details were being stolen ‘real time’ and only a small proportion of recent CRC customers were affected.

Recent customers of CRC may find that, as a precaution, their credit card company will issue a new card. Be assured that if this does occur it does not indicate that your details have been compromised.

The access point of the theft has been identified and permanently closed off so we are confident that we have fully addressed any weakness in our infrastructure.

We are sincerely sorry for what has happened in recent weeks and would like to thank you for your patience and support throughout this difficult period.

Our site is safe to use and will be continually monitored and tested by independent on-line security experts to ensure your details are safe.

If you have further enquiries about this issue please contact us on +44 (0)2893343758 between 9am – 5.30pm or email enquiries@chainreactioncycles.com and we will be glad to help you.

Thanks again for your patience and support,

Michael Cowan
    CRC Senior Management
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,617
    some geezer from crc has just posted this in the MTB section, thought it might be missed so here it is:

[...]Recent customers of CRC may find that, as a precaution, their credit card company will issue a new card. Be assured that if this does occur it does not indicate that your details have been compromised.[...]

Michael Cowan
    CRC Senior Management
    Yup - just had a call from my credit card company doing just this, saying they'd been advised by Visa of security breach.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    EX DH wrote:
    Ive been stung with that! Twats did a £20 vodaphone top up and tried to do another 15 later that day. Luckily my bank cought wind of it and stopped them. Cancled my card and sent me a new one. Itll be some immigrant crime ring!!

daily mail reader alert :evil:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    mattshrops wrote:
    EX DH wrote:

small minded xenophobic racist fascist alert :evil:

Hi

I've amended your post due to spelling mishtake - hope you don't mind.

Kr

Y
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974

[...]Recent customers of CRC may find that, as a precaution, their credit card company will issue a new card. Be assured that if this does occur it does not indicate that your details have been compromised.[...]

Michael Cowan
    CRC Senior Management
    Yup - just had a call from my credit card company doing just this, saying they'd been advised by Visa of security breach.

Yup, me as well. :x
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Me too. However I found it myself when I checked my bank online.
    New card on the way. O2 have cancelled the phones that were topped up, and best of all, CRC are giving me a £30 voucher :D