Help!?!?

JakeR
JakeR Posts: 3
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi guys and girls,

I'm 16 and new to riding (well road bikes) and have been off of a mtb for a few year due to knee problems.

1, What Bike?
I'm drawn between my head and my heart. My heart says Bianchi Via Nirone 7, I'm in love with it! But my head says Specialized Allez or Boardman Road Comp. My price range stops around the £700-£800 mark.

2, Can I upgrade a Sora groupset to a Veloce groupset? Will the Campagnolo kit fit onto a bike that started with Shimano. I'm talking about upgrading the whole groupset and not just the odd bit. This is probably a stupid question as I can't seem to find an answer, but you don't know if you don't ask.

I haven't tested any bikes yet and this bike will be used for my short 10-15 min ride to school, more than likely throughout summer and winter (within reason). I also might join a cycling club and aim to do a 30 mile ride every weekend.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• If you wanted to change a bike from Shimano to Campag then you would need a complete groupset and either a new rear wheel or at the least a new hub and a wheel rebuild.

To be honest if you want Veloce that much then just buy a bike with it on!

I have bikes with many different types of groupsets (SRAM Red, Shimano Tiagra/105/Deore/Alivio) and in my opinion you push the lever, it changes gear, job done.

Also there will be very little difference between the Bianchi, Spesh or Boardman if they are similar prices so just go with the one you love. It will make you ride it and care for it more and WILL give you the most pleasure.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    1. Try and get a ride on them and see what you think. All those bikes are decent and if they fit you - perfect.

2. I wouldnt swap from one maker to the other. You'd be better off just buying the bike with the groupset you want on it. Its really not worth it for the cost and the benefit.
    The shimano stuff works. The campag stuff works. If you upgraded all you'd notice is that you had no money.

I'd also look at getting a good bike lock for the bike and maybe swapping the front QR for an allen key one to save you needing to lock that up too in school.

Have fun !
  • JakeR
    JakeR Posts: 3
    I know I really should go and try them out... :oops:

The only reason I said about the Campag conversion is because I don't really like the white and celeste colour that comes with the Via Nirone Xenon, but I love the black and celeste that comes with the Sora.

Has anyone got one? I've read up that the wheels are very heavy but strong, do you recommend changing them? I'm just trying to work out how much more I'm going to have to do to the bike to get it nice and nippy and if the extras + the bike will be the same price as a carbon racer?
  • I wouldn't worry to much about wheel weights at the moment and just find something comfortable to ride. You can change wheels later if you really have to. I've not changed a single thing on my Trek 1.5 I've had it now for about 2 years and I use it for commuting and bad weather riding. When they get knackered I'll change stuff then and not until then. I wouldn't even notice much difference if I put more expensive lighter wheels on it.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

If your heart is set on Campag then there are not too many options to choose from in your budget range without buying a Shimano or SRAM equiped bike and swapping out the drivetrain.

However, you could consider the Ribble 7005 Race or the 7005SL Race. The Standard Race has a horizontal top tube while the SL has a sloping top tube. The former being more "aggressive" geometry and the latter more "relaxed"

If you look at their Bikebuilder options you could specify the 7005 with Campag Centaur or the 7005SL with Veloce for your £800 budget - job done. See the links below:-

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikebuild ... e=1#Wheels

The Ribbles are well respected steeds and should satisfy your Campag yearnings
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

If your heart is set on Campag then there are not too many options to choose from in your budget range without buying a Shimano or SRAM equiped bike and swapping out the drivetrain.

However, you could consider the Ribble 7005 Race or the 7005SL Race. The Standard Race has a horizontal top tube while the SL has a sloping top tube. The former being more "aggressive" geometry and the latter more "relaxed"

If you look at their Bikebuilder options you could specify the 7005 with Campag Centaur or the 7005SL with Veloce for your £800 budget - job done. See the links below:-

The Ribbles are well respected steeds and should satisfy your Campag yearnings