cashback retailers

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
which one?
why?
are they reliable, honest etc?
are they worth it?

seen one or two members who have links to some of these sites who say they get money back when buying through various retailers. look forward to responses

Comments

• Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I use Quidco. It costs £5 a year, paid from your cashback. Useful sums of cash. Payouts have been very slow, and appear to be getting even slower, however they do eventually get there.

The big thing is probably not to let the thought of cashback influence your buying decision. Buy a service or goods that you want and think is a good price anyway, and treat the cashback as a small bonus, not a dealmaker.

James
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Pigtail wrote:
    I use Quidco. It costs £5 a year, paid from your cashback. Useful sums of cash. Payouts have been very slow, and appear to be getting even slower, however they do eventually get there.

The big thing is probably not to let the thought of cashback influence your buying decision. Buy a service or goods that you want and think is a good price anyway, and treat the cashback as a small bonus, not a dealmaker.

James

+1. I've been looking at Quidco wondering how reputable and quick they are at paying cashbacks. Still not sure as they could go belly up and you get nothing.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Quidco has been around for years - looking at my emails I joined in 2007.
    Although I've mostly used TopCashBack in the last couple of years, as they don't charge a fee and (for the purchases I've made at least) the cashback has been more.

Both are pretty reliable IMO. Getting the cashback can take in the order of months, but I haven't had a case when I have not received it, eventually.

I change my gas/elec supplier every year (if I can get a better deal) and get between £40-100 cashback each time. That has to be worth it, for a few minutes entering details. Same goes for phone/broadband, insurance (if you look on the moneysavingexpert site some people have been paid more in cashback than their insurance premium cost!).
    Another example, Virginmedia are giving (via topcashback) £121 for new customers.

I'm not a 'big spender' but usually get over £250 cashback/year - all for an extra click or two.

edit: If you want, these sites let you choose to donate your cashback to charity.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    +1 Topcashback

Agree with buddha's comments.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've never really bothered with cashback sites, it all seems such a pain to register for and then you have to garner enough credit before they will consider sending you money and even then they are slow to pay up. I can'tbe bothered, I just look out for bargains on the net or in shops and buy things when they're cheap not when I need them...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • johnboy183
    Thanks folks. Interesting comments.

Magoo.... I think you maybe receiving a bonus as I signed up following your link. Want to go 50/50? :D Think I may sign up with one or 2 others as well as it appears not all sites offer same deals.

Headhunter.... I understand what you saying but maybe in these times a little pain is not to bad
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    What's the bonus for refferring someone to join? I've never really looked too much into these cashback thingy's, but recently my brother in law has used them, so i'm a little intrigued.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I use quidco.

Never really had an issue with them, maybe 1 or 2 small Wiggle purchased didn't track but apart from that all good.
  • johnboy183
    Topcashback reward you with £2.50 if you refer someone I think. Not quite sure how it works. Perhaps magoo can confirm?
  • NWLondoner
    If any topcashback members want to earn some money send me a link and i'll join
  • NWLondoner
    johnboy183 wrote:

thanks
  • johnboy183
    and lo and behold I suddenly notice 3 adverts on this page for cashback offers! tis uncanny maybe?!?!?
    you're welcome NWLondoner
  • johnboy183
    thought i'd better add that i didn't set out to make money from this post, it has been a pleasant surprise. if anyone joins by following my links then great and I'll donate the money to the chernobyl childrens project. these fab people organise holidays and other help for kids and to an extent their families, affected by the fall out from the explosion. even today people are suffering long term health problems.

sorry that is a bit off post but i guess passing on the info is a welcome bonus