Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    has it not already gone wrong in the UK?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    I mean an acute crisis as opposed to the chronic malaise we suffer...
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Yup, what do you mean by 'if ?
  • Cressers
    And I get accused of being a doomster! :D

If/when, are you prepared?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    for what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cressers
    Whatever you expect to go wrong...
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Are you talking about Mad Max- style foraging and survivalism?
  • I need milk. I better dash out now before disaster strikes.
  • Cressers
    Not so much Mad Max but more having stocks of supplies and plans for evacuation in the event of your home being at risk from flooding or the nuclear incident that Could Never Happen Here.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I have 200 bottles of wine and 4 cans of beans in my cellar. Fully prepared.

No cork screw or can opener...........damn
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If this Country ever gets hit by a "real" disaster in the future, it will fall apart so quickly civilisation could be lost.
    The infrastructure is pretty much failing in the good times and people nearly always expect someone else to sort it out for them. A few inches of snow brings the country to it's knees.
    Imagine a full on fuel crisis. Power cuts and rationing. No cars, buses, trains and certainly no planes - except for the really rich. A cycling utopia but the cost of food would escalate. It doesn't take much for the veil of civilisation to fail when you can't feed your family.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Cressers
    As they say, we're only three missed meals away from anarchy...

Those of us who remember the unrest of the 1970's, the Great Storm and the other weather disasters that the UK has suffered, and the 2000 fuel protests should be aware of what could happen.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The biggest issue in the East is a surge flood. Assuming this happens the same time as a major freezup and a fuel supply problem, and they shut down the nuclear power stations for safety, things could get problematic. Add in a simultaneous pandemic flue and major terrorist attack and we could well have little local difficulties.

I wonder if we would remain as civil as the Japanese have done.
  • Cressers
    And although unlikely, don't rule out the union movement finally growing some balls and actually organising an effective general strike against the cuts...

Unlikely I know, but it could happen...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You lot need to go out and ride your bikes in the sunshine a bit.

There are lots of really bad things that could happen. Most of them won't, and it's very unlikely that any of them will. Still, how would you expect a nation that buys so many lottery tickets to understand concepts like probability and risk?

If something really drastic ever does happen, I have this fond hope that the nation that coped with the second world war, even won it (with a little help from our friends) might just quit whingeing over minor inconveniences and remember what it can survive.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    M'eh, I'll revert back to cannablism. 8)

That was my out out-loud voice, wasn't it? :shock:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I'm ex infantry, trained by the British Army, of course I am ready.

When it all goes to hell in a handbasket you feckers are my dinner waiting to be caught. ;)

Mountain bikers first of course. :twisted:
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I have been thinking about worst case scenarios and how I might deal with it. I have begun to mentally prepare myself for as many possible catastrophes as I can think of, the worst thing I can imagine, which scares the hell out of me and is the one Im trying to prepare myself and those I care about for is that we wont be in the Champions League next year :shock:

Everytime I think about it I break out in a sweat, if it happens hopefully there will be no electricity just like when I was a kid during the 70's and I will have to carry a candle around the House and I wont be able to see us on Channel 5 on Thursday night. :evil:
  • bompington wrote:

There are lots of really bad things that could happen. Most of them won't, and it's very unlikely that any of them will. Still, how would you expect a nation that buys so many lottery tickets to understand concepts like probability and risk?

If something really drastic ever does happen, I have this fond hope that the nation that coped with the second world war, even won it (with a little help from our friends) might just quit whingeing over minor inconveniences and remember what it can survive.
    Well said!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    bompington wrote:

Well said!

People in Japan might have been saying the same thing last week (well, apart from the bit about winning the second world war). An mega-earthquake, a tsunami and a nuclear incident later...

I'm off to watch Threads.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    The thing is, all those things in Japan are linked i.e. being on a major fault line is the cause of it all and I'm amazed that anyone built a nuclear power station in an area with such a high risk of major earthquakes. The worst environmental disaster we are likely to suffer in the UK is major tidal flooding from a storm surge but it would be nothing like that sort of scale. As a country though we do need to plan infrastructure for future years on the basis that oil is going to run out and that we are going to have to become far more self-sufficient. As Bompington says I reckon as a country we are far better when we are dealing with a proper crisis and stop whinging about inconsequential issues.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I think the problem we have here is lack or resilience in the supply chain for things like food and fuel. Everything is sourced outwith the local area from distribution centres, so any transport disruption would quickly result in empty supermarkets. We can often get cut off from the south in the winter up here, for about two days it's not a problem but if it were longer than that shelves would be cleared out.

I was in the Observer Corps for six years at a group control up until we were stood down in 1991. Sometimes we informally looked into emergency planning and the biggest problem was lack of resources to support the population.

There also seems to have been little looting in Japan, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case here. A lot of the scenes in Threads regarding control of the population were pretty much what we were told to expect, in fact that was a chillingly real film. Even in the Observer Crops we were not properly equipped, now the Police are supposed to perform our old role and they have no idea how to even begin to I'm sure. In the event of a dirty bomb or something like that the UK is totally unprepared. It's really a postcode lottery, some regions have much better emergency planning resources than others and conduct regular exercises. Others don't.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • We are going to be affected by the Japan and North Africa situations eventually. Already the speculators are circling like vultures....

The crisis in Libya affects supply of oil and gas, so other countries have to increase production to satisfy current demand.

But demand will also be affected by Japan needing probably needing to increase its dependency on foreign fossil fuels thanks to the nuclear crisis.

Which probably means sooner or later we here have to pay even more for our gas and oil.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm fully prepared as I have read this book:

book_cover_zsg.gif
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Oh heavens not zombies, my wife collect zombie films and has 100s of the things. She's got that book too, and every other book that even mentions the word "zombie".
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm fully prepared as I have read this book:

book_cover_zsg.gif

I never got through that book, on the other hand, his story style book about the same thing is fantastic

world-war-z-by-max-brooks.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Pedal!!!
    Pedal!!! Posts: 14
    Head to dartmoor with a tent and some canned food :D
    See, because of me now they have a warning
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I'm off to the Winchester if it get's too bad.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    As mentioned, some snow,poss.no fuel and your i-net/Iphone not working and everything will go bad. People get mad at you for riding a bike so come some pre-Apocalypse and were cycling past rows of immobile cars we are going to be seen as the enemy. All that Dunkirk spirit has gone in imo because times are different and our culture is different. Back then the majority of people had no car,walked/cycled/got the bus to work and had relatively the same as each other. Now there is a wider gap from the people at the bottom on benefits to the rich banker/footballer type (sorry to stereotype). In the war you went to the corner/local shop and bought whatever they had and they weren't open on a Sunday. Now it's 24hrs and people expect focaccia, argentine apples and 100 types of crisps 24/7
    M.Rushton