Japan Reactor is getting scary!

2»

Comments

• tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    mrushton wrote:
    tebbit wrote:
    My Russian colleagues are worried that it might affect Sakalin, not only is it a major oil and gas producing area, also we have friends there, but it is where the majority of red caviar is produced. My guess is that my colleagues are more bothered about any effects on the caviar supply.

It's also a major strategic area which is why KAL007 got shot down some years back

It's the caviar, very true but Sakalin is crawling with expats and oil and gas companies
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The media never met an apocalypse they didn't like.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I though this was a very sensible article by the BBC, puts it all into persepctive,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12785274
    It has been estimated that 17 million were exposed to significant radiation after Chernobyl and nearly 2,000 people have since developed thyroid cancer having consumed contaminated food and milk as children.

This is very serious, but nothing like the impact that had been expected, and a UN report identified psychological problems as the major consequence for health.

The perception of the extreme risk of radiation exposure is also somewhat contradicted by the experience of 87,000 survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, who have been followed up for their whole lives.

By 1992, over 40,000 had died, but it has been estimated that only 690 of those deaths were due to the radiation. Again, the psychological effects were major.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    if the plant has low enriched uranium to my understanding it cant go critical ie massive fission kaboom. its different stuff from highly enriched weapons uranium 235 85% and above. an inefficient weapon needs about 25% minimum for a good explosion. low enriched fuel is around 2-5%. im not sure weather hiroshima was a fission or a fusion bomb.
    just get a graphite suite made up, youl be fine.
  • tebbit
    rake wrote:
    if the plant has low enriched uranium to my understanding it cant go critical ie massive fission kaboom. its different stuff from highly enriched weapons uranium 235 85% and above. an inefficient weapon needs about 25% minimum for a good explosion. low enriched fuel is around 2-5%. im not sure weather hiroshima was a fission or a fusion bomb.
    just get a graphite suite made up, youl be fine.

Hiroshima is fisson, we don't have fusion as a viable source of energy yet, there are some claims about successful experiments but nothing concrete, the PWR's in Japan were light water reactors which don't produce plutonium as part of their "daughter" products. The Indians are looking at Thorium fueled reactors which have a different profile yet again.

For graphite buy lots of packets of pencils and line your house with them. :D
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Karl2010 wrote:
    I'm not educated enough to know the true scale of the problem.
    All i know is radioative material released into Atmosphere = BAD.!

We will never truly know what the effects will be from this.
    The information will have to be controled otherwise there will be wide spread panic.
    To be fair if the worst did happen there isnt much we can do about it.

As for coal killing more people than Nuclear, well that does make sense.
    Nuclear catastrophie's are few and far between, so that probaly why coal kills more people.

It is the long term affect that concerns me, like the radioactive material being carried around the globe by the weather, it will get in the ocean's where we fish, the feilds where grow food & live stock graze, basicaly it will get everywhere into the water supply and food chain.!

Who said the wool was being pulled over my eyes?

And therein, mate, lies your problem.
    http://nicedoggie.net/?p=628
    Have a read, a nice drink and a lie down.
    You'll get more radiation from a banana, than you'll ever get from anything happening in Japan.
    The Water Melons will have a field day,but they'll only be happy, when we are all back to living in caves and eating nuts & berries.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • tebbit
    The Water Melons will have a field day,but they'll only be happy, when we are all back to living in caves and eating nuts & berries.

I think you are being unfair with the use of the word "we", they will only be happy when every one but them is living in caves and eating nuts and berries.
  • nikle
    nikle Posts: 32
    "Off His rocker"

Is there nothing you're not am expert on?[/list][/quote]
  • nikle
    nikle Posts: 32
    I mean what's the C,O.S,H rating for PU 236 & can you get some from B&Q or tesco.s fruit & veg isle.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    tebbit wrote:
    ... For graphite buy lots of packets of pencils and line your house with them. :D
    Could you not just staple burnt toast to the walls for a more economical and elegant solution?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • tebbit
    Crapaud wrote:
    tebbit wrote:
    ... For graphite buy lots of packets of pencils and line your house with them. :D
    Could you not just staple burnt toast to the walls for a more economical and elegant solution?

That's carbon, but you could harvest it and make a bicycle frame, admittedly graphite is an allotrope of carbon but I don't know whether toast would make a good substitute neutron moderator, a bit like buying your wife a carbon frame instead of a diamond ring. A great idea but Mrs Crapaud may not see it that way.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Karl2010 wrote:
    I'm not educated enough to know the true scale of the problem.
    All i know is radioative material released into Atmosphere = BAD.!

We will never truly know what the effects will be from this.
    The information will have to be controled otherwise there will be wide spread panic.
    To be fair if the worst did happen there isnt much we can do about it.

As for coal killing more people than Nuclear, well that does make sense.
    Nuclear catastrophie's are few and far between, so that probaly why coal kills more people.

It is the long term affect that concerns me, like the radioactive material being carried around the globe by the weather, it will get in the ocean's where we fish, the feilds where grow food & live stock graze, basicaly it will get everywhere into the water supply and food chain.!

Who said the wool was being pulled over my eyes?

And therein, mate, lies your problem.
    http://nicedoggie.net/?p=628
    Have a read, a nice drink and a lie down.
    You'll get more radiation from a banana, than you'll ever get from anything happening in Japan.

Hmm would be a lot more succinct and readable without the political comment.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Looking beyond the immediate problems, if they can be contained... the reactors are going to have to be encased and what fuel that can, be safely removed. It'll be long, expensive, and dangerous...[/i]
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Cressers wrote:
    Looking beyond the immediate problems, if they can be contained... the reactors are going to have to be encased and what fuel that can, be safely removed. It'll be long, expensive, and dangerous...[/i]
    apparently the plant is already rendered useless when the tried pumping with salt sea water. reading an experts view who had much experience and ticket in submarines power generation and safety procedures, he was fuming at the hype and misinformation of the talking heads newsreaders talking tripe. apparently in a week or so the heat will decay to manageable levels if they did nothing. i dont think the containment has been breached.the explosions were vented hydrogen ond oxygen either manually or automatically caused by the overheat and expolded damaging the outer building, reactors containment intact. steam being low on particulate matter it will rapidly decay and disperse apparently, causing negligible safety threat even locally. it has no similarities with chernobyl which used cheap poor technology and i believe some even resigned over the the thickness off the concrete containment when it was built. it was also being operated in a dodgy way with corners being cut. theirs launched particulate matter into the surroundings in the form of poor charcoal like control rods that caught fire with a cloud of highly radioactive ash. thats not possible with this kind of design. apparently japenese technology is pretty good and on a similar level to ours, so if anyone can cope they will.
  • tebbit
    The Japanese have a primary steel containment, with a concrete secondary containment, it didn't have the primary steel containment of the Japanese system, it was contained within a steel cylinder but not a full steel containment. It was a known flawed design before they built it, however the Soviet mentality was they put power before safety. There were three commissioned and fully functioning reactors on site prior to number four going bang, with a further two being built, the tower cranes are still there.

The radio-protection guys I work with are of the same opinion Rake has quoted, I have had email updates passed on regarding the IAEA briefings if anyone is interested, not as interesting as Mr Aggieboy's messages admittedly.