Scott CR1 Team 2010 model - upgrade

BlueScot
BlueScot Posts: 68
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I've been thinking about treating myself to a new 2011 Scott CR1 Pro bike - ultegra groupset, Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels. Looking at local shops and online that works out at £2.4K. (I know there is probably an argument for looking at a different bike, but just humour me for now :) )
I've noticed that some stores are selling the 2010 model of the lower spec CR1 Team (105-5600 groupset, Mavic Aksium wheels) for £1300. I think the Pro and Team use the same frame. So I've been trying to work out whether it's worth buying the older bike and upgrading the components to roughly the same spec as the 2011 Pro, bearing in mind that I could put the old components on the winter bike or up for sale?
Is there a big difference in the frame? Will it cost too much for all the components?
I've tried to do the calcs but still can't decide, so any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Buy it ride it till 105 needs replacing then upgrade to what ever you fancy. The frame will be the same only the colour has changed at £1300 it's a cheap bike with a frame rated highly by most. You still need to ride it before buying it though
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Buy it ride it till 105 needs replacing then upgrade to what ever you fancy. The frame will be the same only the colour has changed at £1300 it's a cheap bike with a frame rated highly by most. You still need to ride it before buying it though
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Yep - the frame is the same for the 2010 Pro and Team

I have the Team (got it in December 2009 with some Easton EA50SLs instead of the Aksiums and LOVE it) and have ridden the 105 since then. I am currently in the process of upgrading to Ultegra 6700 and some carbon wheels which has cost me about a "net" £900 with some judicious buying and the sale of the old 105 kit.

There probably isn't much in it if you are simply replacing new kit, so I would agree with gwillis - get the Team, ride the 105 for a while and look out for some good deals on y our planned upgrades
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Strip the Team and sell the Aksiums for 100 the 105 for 300, buy Ultegra 6700 for 600 and some Dura Ace 7850 wheels for 450, job done and saved 500 quid 8)