Quandry

Garryboy
Garryboy Posts: 344
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
I have a Boardman team carbon 2010 in large reserved and due to pick it up Sunday. However, just got a call from Halfords to say they have noticed a scratch on the top tube whilst doing the PDI (fair play to them for phoning me).

I dont know how bad the scratch is and the 2010 models are scarce.

So, what discount should I looking for or should I try and source another one from different branch?

Comments

• Garryboy
    Well - went to have a look as happened to be in that neck of the woods this morning

There is a couple of small scratches on the underside of the top tube, each prob no more than 1cm - but scratched enough to see the white (I assume) undercoat below.

Gave it a fairly thorough look over and only other thing I noticed was rear de-r cable is very frayed and missing the end piece...

Said I will think about it and they should think about what discount is appropriate.

Mind now starting to wander towards the Dolan Mythos - anyone picked one up recently via C2W - website price seems to be £1099

Thoughts?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Don't buy a damaged bike unless you are 100% sure that you're not going to look at the damage in the future and not feel disappointed.
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 119
    You're in a very similar situation to me Garryboy. I've been looking at the 2010 Boardmans as they've got some good discounts, however they're running out fast and they're all pretty much the display models now. Unfortunately, this means they've been hoisted on and off the racks in the shop and that inevitably leads to scrapes and dings. I looked at a comp (the £560 one) near me, and it had broken spokes and quite a few scrapes on the frame. Nothing too drastic, but they're not cheap enough (IMO) to get something that is basically second hand condition.

Also considered a Team Carbon, but they're REALLY thin on the ground and the only one near me had a missing brake. I also suspect it has the same kind of scrapes as all the other display models which isn't what I want to see on a £1k bike. Cables and missing components are easy to replace, but scrapes on the frame are there for good. It really depends whether they're going to bother you in the long run.

I've got a Boardman HT Pro and would have liked to stick with the same brand as my local Halfords is great. However, I can get a Planet X with basically identical spec for £1k and I know that is going to be brand spanking new with no scrapes on the frame.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    + 1 what The Mad Rapper says.

You should expect a concession of some sort Garryboy as the product should be perfect and you should be 100% happy.
  • Garryboy
    Thanks
    I think I can live with a small scratch as long as there is some concession on price

The cable on rear de-r worries me a bit, will need to check their set up thoroughly - when viewed today handlebars were still turned in so still to be 'set up' and pdi'd
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you should be able to easily twist the cable back up with your fingers. then put an end cap or better still a bit of solder-that way it can be withdrawn from the housing if need be without worrying about the end cap. as for the scratch you wont see it under the tube there, if they give a discount id go for it. could very easily polish it out or touch a bit of laquer on there.
  • Garryboy
    OK, picked up my 'large' 2010 team carbon today - got some accessories thrown in for scratch , so that was ok.

However, now I've had a chance to have a good sit on it - I'm thinking it's not a large at all but medium, maybe even small - I've had a quick check with tape measure and that seems to confirm my fears.

Is there anything printed anywhere on the frame to denote size - just to be sure - I never was good with tape measure, so just want to confirm.

Arrrgh!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Garryboy wrote:
    OK, picked up my 'large' 2010 team carbon today - got some accessories thrown in for scratch , so that was ok.

However, now I've had a chance to have a good sit on it - I'm thinking it's not a large at all but medium, maybe even small - I've had a quick check with tape measure and that seems to confirm my fears.

Is there anything printed anywhere on the frame to denote size - just to be sure - I never was good with tape measure, so just want to confirm.

Arrrgh!

Hold on, you are not sure if it's a large, medium or small? :? Did you actually sit on it at any stage?
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    See http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team_carbon.html
    for details of measurements - though these are for 2011 bikes but unlikely to be very much different if at all.