OT: cost saving for a brighter future.....

Comments

• FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    35) become a drug dealer. When was the last time you seen one of them struggling for money?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    mudcow007 wrote:
    35) become a drug dealer. When was the last time you seen one of them struggling for money?

Fine in the short term I suppose. Struggling for liberty in the longer term though.
    I heard that catering has a higher mark-up than illeagal drugs. Maybe only applies to Heston and his mates though...

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sketchley wrote:
    14) Spend less than you earn.

The answer once given by a debt expert on the BBC when asked the question. "What is the best way to get out of debt and stay there". Pure Genius, simple and to the point.

Well, the borrowed pure genius of Charles Dickens at least!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    mudcow007 wrote:

Umm, nope. Most of them live with their mothers:

http://helpglobe.com/answers.aspx?qid=661

There's only good money at the top of the chain... bit like banking, really...

Cheers,
    W.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    32) If you own a car don't drive it like you stole it. Easy on the accelerator, easy on the brakes...and relax. Save many pounds sterling.

Similarly, if you stole a car, drive it like you own it. Less likely to get pulled over.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mattsaw wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Fill your walls with old people, living or dead your choice

Don't the living ones make a lot of noise?

only for a few days :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Mattsaw wrote:
    pastryboy wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:
    The government are running a scheme (fot pre-1970s houses) at the moment to insulate your loft and cavity walls. We got ours done last year by these guys - http://www.markgroup.co.uk/ total cost for both was under £300 including materials and labour.

It's very easy to do it yourself and the insulation material costs next to nothing due to subsidies:

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/diy

That price included the cavity wall insulation as well. Between the three of them doing the walls and the loft there must have been around 8 hours labour in total.

Many people haven't got cavity walls, I haven't, my flat is in a building which was built in about 1870...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rolf_f
    Many people haven't got cavity walls, I haven't, my flat is in a building which was built in about 1870...

Just nail the old people to the walls and put plasterboard over them.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Rolf F wrote:

Just nail the old people to the walls and put plasterboard over them.

Good idea...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    35) Mice in the roof = extra cladding, if a tad mobile = reduced heating costs. However, the noise level at night might take some getting used to :roll:
  • rolf_f
    36) Be very, very short and live in a Wendy House......
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    37) set yourself on fire and don't pay for heating for the rest of your life...
  • stuart_c-2
    stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
    38) Have all your "movements" at work, saves on toilet paper. (Plus you're essentially getting paid to have a dump)
    "I ride to eat"
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I heard that catering has a higher mark-up than illeagal drugs. Maybe only applies to Heston and his mates though...

The reality is....it applies to cheese toasties more than it does to the food that heston etc serve up...

A Cheese Toasty costs less than 5p to make, but can easily be sold for £1.50, if not more. Cheap ingredients and a minimum wage workforce.

Heston probably has irritating costs like...high price of ingredients, skilled chefs to prep and make food etc...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • EKE_38BPM
    cee wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

The reality is....it applies to cheese toasties more than it does to the food that heston etc serve up...

A Cheese Toasty costs less than 5p to make, but can easily be sold for £1.50, if not more. Cheap ingredients and a minimum wage workforce.

Heston probably has irritating costs like...high price of ingredients, skilled chefs to prep and make food etc...

Have you seen the prices at the Fat Duck? £160 + 12.5% service charge for the tasting menu. Plus wine. Each. That is a lot of cheese toasties!
    I'm sure he pays well over minimum wage and uses the best ingredients, but at some point (in just about any industry) you begin paying for the name and can charge a premium for that.

• Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Whats with all this 'old people' shtick? Get back to paying taxes for our 'gold plated' pensions (TM Daily Heil).

btw the worst in europe.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • cee
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Have you seen the prices at the Fat Duck? £160 + 12.5% service charge for the tasting menu. Plus wine. Each. That is a lot of cheese toasties!
    I'm sure he pays well over minimum wage and uses the best ingredients, but at some point (in just about any industry) you begin paying for the name and can charge a premium for that.

yip..ate in the fat duck...had better.

point i am making is that...although the fat duck costs a lot for a meal...his costs are much higher...running a restaurant like the fat duck is a butt load more expensive than running a catering van selling cheese toasties...

yes you have to sell more cheese toasties, however, I bet you one whole scottish pound note, that the margins on a cheese toastie are higher than the margins on the fat duck tasting menu.

Stack em high...sell em low.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • itboffin
    All this talk of toasties is making me hungry.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cee
    itboffin wrote:

£1.50 each or 2 for £3

:D

H.G. Wells.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    itboffin wrote:

what was it you (or someone else) said earlier? eat an old person, may be a bit tough though.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'm playing the lottery more, does that count?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Eat less meat (this may make you an unhappy person)
    If you do eat meat, eat every damn bit of it, including making stock. [pet hate]Don't just throw the leftovers in the bin[/pet hate]
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Yeah but making stock feels a bit like wasting vegetables/herbs
  • itboffin
    When a family pet dies ie "runs away".... eat it :roll:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Block wiggle.
  • itboffin
    Burn your neighbours wood & oil :roll:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    davis wrote:
    Eat less meat (this may make you an unhappy person)
    Eat more vegetables.

Then sell their wheelchairs :twisted:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    itboffin wrote:
    Burn your neighbours :roll:
    ftfy
    Hat + Beard