just been sized up

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
for my tricross

the bloke in the LBS said i should be a 58cm

but i think the top tube is too close to the old love spuds

it should be in for tuesday whoop whoop!
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    mudcow007 wrote:
    but i think the top tube is too close to the old love spuds

You could always get a burd's bike
  • mudcow007
    im think of getting one of them dutch pashleys, i would be the coolest cat around
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    do you have short legs or very low-hanging fruit?
  • mudcow007
    i "think" ive got long legs but short body an human tangerines ha!

the guy made me put the seat with the measurement thingy (this sounds all wrong) between my legs which he then translated into bike frame measurements which came out at as i needed a 54cm frame

but the guy reckoned that would be waaaay to small for me (im 6ft 1)

plus he said i pedal weird as my ankle is really high
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'm 6ft 1. A 58 would be too big for me - got long legs, short body. My posh bikes are about 546 virtual top tube.

I'd get a second opinion (seeing as how the bloke that fitted you doesn't believe his own measurement thingy!)........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • get a new shop and measured properly. Leg length only sets saddle height, nothing else
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • mudcow007
    right, i think i will let them get the bike in, have a go on that if im worried about the old spuds i wont be taking it

im use to riding mtb's so i dont know really what its like sitting on a cross/ roadie type thing
  • Deposit down???
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    6' here and have a 56cm frame - fits perfectly.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    6'1 here and I find a 58 far too small. I ride a 61cm frame.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I'm 6ft 1. A 58 would be too big for me - got long legs, short body. My posh bikes are about 546 virtual top tube.

I'd get a second opinion (seeing as how the bloke that fitted you doesn't believe his own measurement thingy!)........

Stem Length? as this eis very very short for a 6 footer would expect a guy with short torso to be on 560 - 570 top tube with 110 - 120 stem
  • rolf_f
    mudcow007 wrote:
    right, i think i will let them get the bike in, have a go on that if im worried about the old spuds i wont be taking it

Be careful about that - it may well feel fine in the shop whether your correct fit is a 54 or a 58. My money is on 54 or 56 (depending on exact leg-torso proportions); why did the shop bloke not suggest 56 if they are available?

BTW - fit matters more on road bikes than MTBs as you're generally sat in the same position for much longer.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Stem Length? as this eis very very short for a 6 footer would expect a guy with short torso to be on 560 - 570 top tube with 110 - 120 stem

570 is pretty much standard top tube length for those +6ft ish folk with sensible geometry! The 546 top tube on my bike is on the large frame. It's sportive oriented but gives me a fairly racy position. I can reach 570 (my old touring bike has a 570 top tube) but it isn't ideal. Stem is probably 110 irrc.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    The LBS is also forgetting that frame sizes vary between brands and even models. Only way you can say for sure is to try it.