Anthem owners... what, if anything, have you changed?

bartimaeus
bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
edited March 2011 in MTB general
It's coming up for a year since I got my Anthem, so I am now having a think as to whether I should tweak anything. I'd be interested in the thoughts of any other Anthem owners.

When I got the bike I assumed I'd be riding XC - along the SDW... fairly easy non-tchnical stuff. For this the Anthem is spot on - and as this is still a big part of my riding so don't want to do anything too major to my bike. For distance riding and climbing the Anthem is just great.

I am, though, wondering if there are any changes I can make which will help me in the tighter and more downhill stuff - where my lack of skill might benefit from some technical support... I seem to have fallen in with a crowd who take me places I had not considered riding before (and some places where I still climb off :shock:)

Would a slightly shorter stem help with quicker steering, and in getting my weight further back? The stock stem is 110 at 8deg - has anyone tried anything a bit shorter? What about slightly wider bars?

I'm not really looking for 'upgrades' as such - I think the most obvious would be some better wheels, but to be honest better components would probably make very little difference to my riding... the most pressing 'upgrade' is my skill level. But if anyone has tweaked their Anthem to make it slightly more AM without compromising its XC appeal, then I'd like to hear from them.
Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I keep wondering if there is something I'd change on the X4.

Currently I am thinking of some high rollers and I've got a skills course booked for end of April.

Past that maybe thru axles but I really don't know if they would be necessary
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I received a set of Yeti grips in the post this morning, they will be the first thing I've changed on the bike. I love Yeti grips...

I'm also approaching a year with my Anthem, I've changed the tyres and that was only because I knackered (strange blowout, put a hole in the sidewall) one of the Crossmarks that came on it.

I am thinking about the wheels now, but I don't think I'll actually change them until I have a failure.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • t0pc4t
    what width tyres are you guys going for?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bartimaeus
    I was on Nobby Nics 2.1 F/R most of the year. I am on Medusas 2.0/1.8 F/R for the winter - and am going to try Nic 2.4 / Ron 2.25 F/R combo when it dries out - if they will fit.
  • Wider bars/shorter stem will help make the steering a bit better.

It depends really on what EXACTLY you want out of the bike!
  • t0pc4t
    can you be a bit more specific about how it would be better please MountainMonster?

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Better probably isn't the best word to use, but different.

A shorter stem and wider bars will make the bike a bit easier to control, by making it a bit less twitchy and more of a smoother turn.
  • t0pc4t
    cool cheers

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bartimaeus
    Better probably isn't the best word to use, but different.

A shorter stem and wider bars will make the bike a bit easier to control, by making it a bit less twitchy and more of a smoother turn.

But I assume there is a downside - otherwise we'd all be on 40mm stems and 780mm bars!
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    Better probably isn't the best word to use, but different.

But I assume there is a downside - otherwise we'd all be on 40mm stems and 780mm bars!

Their is a downside, depending on how you ride.

With the shorter stem, stearing becomes a bit easier to control, but you lose out on good sitting position for longer rides, and you are not as efficient. For me, 70mm is a perfect balance between long enough to comfortably ride longer distances, and being responsive enough to inspire confidence. I'm only an AM rider, so don't need full on XC geo, but don't need DH geo either.
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    It's coming up for a year since I got my Anthem, so I am now having a think as to whether I should tweak anything. I'd be interested in the thoughts of any other Anthem owners.

When I got the bike I assumed I'd be riding XC - along the SDW... fairly easy non-tchnical stuff. For this the Anthem is spot on - and as this is still a big part of my riding so don't want to do anything too major to my bike. For distance riding and climbing the Anthem is just great.

I am, though, wondering if there are any changes I can make which will help me in the tighter and more downhill stuff - where my lack of skill might benefit from some technical support... I seem to have fallen in with a crowd who take me places I had not considered riding before (and some places where I still climb off :shock:)

Would a slightly shorter stem help with quicker steering, and in getting my weight further back? The stock stem is 110 at 8deg - has anyone tried anything a bit shorter? What about slightly wider bars?

I'm not really looking for 'upgrades' as such - I think the most obvious would be some better wheels, but to be honest better components would probably make very little difference to my riding... the most pressing 'upgrade' is my skill level. But if anyone has tweaked their Anthem to make it slightly more AM without compromising its XC appeal, then I'd like to hear from them.[/quote

i think you may find its a confidence thing, the anthem is what it is if your comfortable with how it feels now then just change parts as and when, having said that the stem and the bars can make it feel different so thats the only thing i would experiment with untill you find the right feel for you, other than that everything else is just about getting lighter gear on the bike, tyres make a big difference to confidence get a good front wheel tyre that you know wont slip on you and give way and it makes a huge difference
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    I love my Anthem as it is TBH. The only thing I've added is a shorter stem, down to a 90mm. In the next couple of months I'm going tubeless - Hope Pro 2 hubs, Crest rims and a 2.1 Rocket Ron on front and a 2.1 Racing Ralph on the rear. I also added some Ergon GX2 grips with carbon bar-ends.

Other than that, it's a fantastic bike that does everything I need it to.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    120mm forks transformed the bike on the downhill stuff for me.. before it always felt like I was being pitched forward on anything remotely steep.
  • bartimaeus
    frogstomp wrote:
    120mm forks transformed the bike on the downhill stuff for me.. before it always felt like I was being pitched forward on anything remotely steep.

Yeah, I thought about this... I read that Adam Craig ran a 120 fork. Sadly I think that mod is a bit out of my price range!
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    frogstomp wrote:

Yeah, I thought about this... I read that Adam Craig ran a 120 fork. Sadly I think that mod is a bit out of my price range!

My 2009 model came with Rebas so it was just a case of removing the internal spacer.. if not I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I do wonder how much of it is down to the higher front end - could I have got similar results with a longer steerer / riser stem and bars? But then the slacker angle probably helps too..
  • ianm7222
    ianm7222 Posts: 51
    Yeah, fitted 120mm forks (recon), evolver riser bars and 90mm stem, crossride wheels, formula k18 brakes, deore chainset, maxxis ardents, ergon bar end combi grips and a big ass saddle, was an 09 X3. Seems to be pretty much all black and silver (by accident) even replaced the fork stickers when scratched with black ones from ebay whick look pretty cool on black stanshions!

Had to run the stem on top of the headset with no spacers to get the front down a little to accomodate the extra 20mm on the forks, and bough an XL frame to allow for a shorter stem without compromising the stretch of the bike.

It tears down hill now, even pals on remedy and orange 5 can't keep up
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,708
    Don't tink you need to change too much as it's a top bike out of the box. I've changed these:
    - Nobby Nic 2.1's when the RR's wore out to get a bit more mud plugging ability (ride at Bedgebury)
    - 70mm stem, more to shorten the reach a bit to suit me tan quickening the steering.
    - 660mm 1" riser bar as I prefer that width/position (my bike came with the 610mm flat bars).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]