Rockhopper 2010 vs Boardman Comp 2010/2011 - Cabling?

smegg79
smegg79 Posts: 43
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hello

Looking to get back into biking a little. Have been using my 1997 P7 but starting to find it a chore without suspension and getting spare for such a small tubed steel bike.

So my choices have been narrowed down to either a boardman or specialized Rockhooper (Dart 3 2010 version). These are around the same price at the mo, although the newer boardman comp is a little more.

I know the components are a little better on the boardman bikes, but I do like the Specialized frame (and dealing with a proper bike shop).

My question is around the cable routing. Are there any issue with cable going down the downtube like the boardman. Not overally keen on this as this is surly the dirtiest place to put something that should move freely.

I am being picky about nothing?
What would be your choice between these two (three including 2011)?

Thanks
Greg

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I would buy the specialized because halfords is for childrens bikes and I am a bit of a brand snob. If possible I would look at one with a better front fork if you can. You'll want to replace it within 3 months at a cost of 200 quid or so, so maybe stretch yourself a bit now or perhaps look at a nearly new.

However, you can always replace the exposed cables with something like a sram flak jacket which stops the mud getting in (about 20-30quid).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or don't be an idiot about brands and buy the better bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • which is the Spesh
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Boardman is worth it just for the Recons over Darts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    hmm but the 2011 halfords jobbie has suntours on and 2010 hopper experts can be had for similar money which have recons

The real problem I have with the Halfords only brands is that you cannot shop around to get a competitive price. Its all a controlled market
  • smegg79
    Rockhopper 2010 with dart3 -£520
    Boadman comp 2010 with recon - £560
    2011 Boardman - 650 (but discounts available)

Only ever ridden quadra 21r for a good couple of years xc back on the day. Sure the darts are better than that for hour blasts around the local woods & moors?

Interested in pro cons of cable routes. Seems downtube not great but am I wrong?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Suntour Epicon is an excellent fork, and is better than a Recon with Turnkey damping IMHO.

Cable routing - I wouldn't worry too much. The bare cable still moves with dirt on it, it is where it passes under the BB through the guide and enters the last loop that causes problems, sometimes. But the latter can happen with any routing. You can modify the former with a bit of inner sheathing over the inner cable to aid smoothness.
  • smegg79
    Thanks supersonic. See the angle is quite Sharp from chainstay.

Good to hear the epicon is possibly better than RS so no rush to get the 2010 boardman. Mine you the price of the suntour could always be an upgrade if the Dart 3 on Spesh is not as good as I would like later on. Take it 120mm travel would be no issue on the rockhopper?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    110mm max on the Hopper to stay within warranty.
  • diy
    Plenty of places doing 2010 hoppers at sub 500 quid. Note they were going for £450 only a month or 2 ago.

Personally I'd take my 500 quid and either get a nearly new FS XC bike, a top end HT or go for Super's play bike the new mongoose.
  • supersonic wrote:
    110mm max on the Hopper to stay within warranty.

I bow to your knowledge on this Supersonic but I asked Spesh directly and they said 120mm was acceptable. Still run my Dart for now but I wanted to know for the future.

As for the general question on routing the only thing I have against them on the downtube is rock strikes but that is surely just part of the risk/fun of mountain biking,
  • smegg79
    Demo FS comp also in local hellfords for 500 notes, although worries bout maintenance on an FS (read bout pivot bearings often need replacing - dunno if unique to boardman or general replacement parts).
    Bike is for fitness I'm the form of short rides from home. New baby due and usual sport takes up time and fuel I thought this would be a good release.
    Good to hear a happy user of the spesh with darts.
    Had a look at Mongoose tyrax but pretty weight.in-inspiring frame.
    Difficult decisions. With the spesh its nice to support a local bike shop and get the support if any problems, rather than internet order.
  • diy
    Well at least if you go for a new spesh and don't get on with it you can sell it losing less than you would if you bought the halfords own brand.

But personally I would look for a 2 year old nearly new and get top end kit on it. No offense but there are plenty of folk like you who bought bikes with the intention of getting fit and then left them in the garage a couple of years.

I sourced a hopper for a girly at work which still had the bobbles on the tyres and needed the brakes to be bed in. I reckon the previous owner had done less than 60 miles on it.

She got it 250 quid cheaper than a new one.
  • smegg79
    No offense! Been looking on ebay quite a bit, but finding things like Spesh go for not far off (100 quid or so) the prices some of the shops are giving. Maybe a trip to Certinni to try out some Cubes & Spesh before I go further. My Local Halfords only really let you look at them, not great!

Still got my Orange p7, with some high tech Rockshot Indy's that probably ain't worth fitting over the rigids! Been really good getting out in the dark a night or two with a couple of Lenser torches. If I could justify an Orange again....So expensive now! My wife would kill me, kitesurfing is expensive enough but seriously the most addictive sport ever!!
  • diy
    ebay prices can be silly, but make sure you are comparing apples with apples. the Rockhopper ranges from about 480 to 1200 depending on the model. an 08-10 comp, pro or expert is not really in the same league as the entry level bike.

I've seen a couple of 09 experts go for 400 recently, which is not bad for the time of year.

The boardman's are worth a look second hand because there are so many available from cycle to work schemes that have hardly been used. a 6 month old went for just over half price recently.
  • smegg79
    Re. Expert & pro still share same frame we the SL entry version? Good base to upgrade if I feel the need
  • diy
    yep a strength and a weakness, depending on your point of view.
  • diy wrote:
    Plenty of places doing 2010 hoppers at sub 500 quid. Note they were going for £450 only a month or 2 ago.

Personally I'd take my 500 quid and either get a nearly new FS XC bike, a top end HT or go for Super's play bike the new mongoose.

Hiya,

Where have you seen 2010 Rockhoppers for sub £500? Could you post links to the shops?

Thanks,

Danny.
  • diy
    these were in store offers - I think they are limited when they advertise, but a few are showing sub 500 on google shops
  • diy wrote:
    these were in store offers - I think they are limited when they advertise, but a few are showing sub 500 on google shops

Thanks.
  • i have a 08 rockhopper but bought in end of 09 and it a good bike

few things though wheels are weak and mine went out of true within a matter of weeks, and even after fix they still ant great.

tyres are very bad in anysort of mud or wetness so be prepared to change them once rain comes.

bike wise i think the spez rockhopper is a great bike as it feels very good and unlike others i tried you feel better taking on those tricky places while other bikes you tend to fear or duck out of when you ride.

good bike but suggest you change the following once you buy.

1: tyres
    2:wheels

then after that probally go for new fork if its a dart,(i have tora and it pretty good but needs a better one otherwise you cant really do much tech stuff on it)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • smegg79
    2008 Boardman pro secondhand now available with RS Sid Team around 600 used. Is it worth it? It's the non hydroformed frame.
  • that seems a too good to be true, as SID forks are alone worth around 400+ .

never seen a boardman also with SID forks , have they upgraded them then?

If so find out how old forks are and last service for them.

money wise it looks very good just wied having those forks.

is it this one?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -09-34707/
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • smegg79
    It's 2008 so a little closer in spec to team with jucys rather than elixer discs. Yws team suss were upgrades plus folding tyres sod etc. On eBay if u wanna look It's local so great
  • smegg79
    Just an update,

Bought the Rockhopper 2010 after trying various. If I could have stretch I would have gone for an FSR Comp, but the Rockhopper is superb for the money. Feels as light as any of the boardmans I tried and just feels a little more lively. First proper ride over the weekend and is so different to my old Orange and way more fun on the downhills.

Can't wait to get out on it again. Wonder whether its worth getting some sort of mud device on the front but not sure on a crud catcher as the downtube is so large. Probably catches most of it anyway. :D