What to wear - cold morning/ mild evening

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
It was -2c this morning

I was wearing 3/4 tights, cheap base layer, old skool thermal jkt (off Fleabay), thinsulate hat and gloves and a helmet

All OK except the hands were too warm and my calves were frozen solid.

Lack of storage space and lack of kit means with the exception of the gloves and hat (which will store in the back pocket) I'll be wearing the same for the journey home. It's now a lovely day and I'm going to melt.

How do you guys cope with the change in temp during the day?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I always carry a bag.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Shorts, short sleeved wicking layer, long sleeved cycling top, optional very thin Pocket Rocket jacket. Spring/Autumn gloves, optional buff/skullcap.

Does from -3C to 15C, all weather goodness.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    Arm warmers (w/ s/s jersey) and leg warmers (w/ shorts) - on in the morning/off in the afternoon. All rolls up nice and small.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    arm, leg warmers, liner gloves and a light gillet all can be put in a back pocket yet can help ward off the coldest weather.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Full length leg warmers, though I find 3/4 length bibs are usually adequate for 0C up to mid-teens.

More kit is always the answer though
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    currently still wearing full winter gear, apart from the skullcap under helmet. i am getting a bit warm on ride home but don't really mind that much, good way of sweating out some of those extra pounds I'm trying to shake off.

in summer i always start out with arm warmers and if it gets cold during the day (eg rainshowers) i just go fast on the way home!

I have no option but to wear what I came in as I now use a triangle bag (that goes on frame) for carrying my essentials, which is sooo much better than my darn rucksack (it was a deuter but i got v bored of it)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I was wearing just ss jersey and shorts with mitts and still sweaty this morning. MTFU? :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • tailwindhome
    I was wearing just ss jersey and shorts with mitts and still sweaty this morning. MTFU? :D

High body fat percentage?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398

Not last time I met him; just a freakish metabolism that generates vast amounts of heat I think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

people do differ in heating I wear black trousers, a tee shirt and a light jacket, and of late have been overheating, i'm 6ft and under 13 stone, on a MTB ride i'm fine in shorts and underlayer top, in temps well below Zero. I don't get cold unless i'm ill.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    I'm in bibshorts and a LS jersey with gloves in the morning, I drop the gloves in the afternoon.

Looking at getting some SS jerseys now.
    FCN: 6
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Just recently dropped 3/4 roubaix for normal 3/4 bib tights - cycle jersey and DHB jacket. Still on winter gloves and buff (on my head) - keep a bit more heat in!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    rjsterry wrote:

Not last time I met him; just a freakish metabolism that generates vast amounts of heat I think.

Indeed. girlfriend loves it in winter but as others have witnessed that fateful day in RP - I can produce mind boggingly large volumes of heat/sweat...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

Nah furry outer suit - monkey innit :P

baboon.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Shorts and teeshirt underneath windproof trousers and jacket works quite well for me. But I have a pannier with other options.

Actually I have been cold on waking up these last few mornings so have been wearing more, but certainly included the windproofs.
  • Crawler2
    Crawler2 Posts: 29
    Shorts, long sleve Helly, short sleve Torm thingy over that.
    A bit chilly for the first half mile, toasty after that.
    My legs really ache.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Volvo. Sometimes it's just easier.

:)
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Shorts since end of January, base layer and thin waterproof top - more than enough
    Still breathing.....
  • tailwindhome
    ^

There is something a bit mad about getting out of a perfectly functioning car [ETA which I scraped ice off 1/2 an hour before] which is nice and toasty warm to take a bicycle out of the boot and start cycling the remaining distance to work

I think a gilet will be the next purchase.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    On cold mornings I wear either a long or short sleeved shirt under a windstopper, a pair of thermal gloves with fleece inners and over boots. On the warmer evenings I dispense with either the shirt one of the pairs of gloves and the overboots.

Bob