Rides in the Lake District

waltho bum gravy
waltho bum gravy Posts: 153
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

I am going away with my wife for 4-5 days over the Easter/Royal Wedding period to the Lake District. Usually I have no chance whatsoever of negotiating any tmie for rides. However this time I went through the charade of asking for 'time off for good behaviour' and was shocked to be granted a pass.

Now all I need is to find some rides to make it worthwhile.

I will most likely have to hire a bike, but I am sure I can organise something there myself. What I need is some advice on which rides are best to make use of my limited time. I like the hills but wouldn't necessarily want a full day of slogging up and down without smoe scenery to make it worthwhile.

Any advice greatly received. Well, stuff like :'grow a pair', 'get a divorce' etc., will probably be less welcome.

Comments

• solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Where are you staying in the Lakes?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Hi all,

I am going away with my wife for 4-5 days over the Easter/Royal Wedding period to the Lake District. Usually I have no chance whatsoever of negotiating any tmie for rides. However this time I went through the charade of asking for 'time off for good behaviour' and was shocked to be granted a pass.

Now all I need is to find some rides to make it worthwhile.

I will most likely have to hire a bike, but I am sure I can organise something there myself. What I need is some advice on which rides are best to make use of my limited time. I like the hills but wouldn't necessarily want a full day of slogging up and down without smoe scenery to make it worthwhile.

Any advice greatly received. Well, stuff like :'grow a pair', 'get a divorce' etc., will probably be less welcome.
    Biketreks in ambleside hire bikes and it's the start of the langdale loop, approx 30 miles of mixed terrain, a great ride
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Spoilt for choice, for example if you are using Biketreks then you could head towards Coniston then round the east side of the lake to Spark bridge and back through Grizedale-there are many options to extend/shorten it

Will be busy in the central lakes at that time so avoid the the Windermere-Ambleside road for example.
  • I'm staying in Greenodd and have been thinking about a circular route round either or both of Coniston and Windermere. There appear to be a few smaller roads which I'm hoping will be safe. Can anyone confirm that or recommend a route out of and back to Greenodd?
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Well for starters there is the TDS route, nice ride with the bonus you can pick up close to your accomodation and stop roughly half way in the Mill yard at Staveley for a look around Wheelbase, lunch at Wilfs cafe and a beer in the Hawkshead Brewery Hall :D

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/pdf/LeTour10-Map.pdf
  • incurab1e
    incurab1e Posts: 84
    the roads around wasdale are nice, pretty too.

hard knott pass is pretty stunning if you can stop your heart from exploding on the way up ;-)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    The winding little road called The Struggle that ascends to Kirkstone Pass is also very scenic - so much so that you might even feel like stopping now and then for a little stroll...
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Kirkstone Pass in any direction is beautiful. Easiest climb is from Windermere to the south. The Struggle is a good way to find out what your maximum heart rate is. The climb from the north isn't as long as the Struggle, but does kick up a bit at the end. The descent north down to Ullswater has fantastic views down to Brothers Water, while the descent back to Windermere is wonderful and fast. I've not descended The Struggle - suspect that's a real brake pad burner...

If you were to start at Biketreks you can do a great loop south towards the roundabout just before Windermere, left turn up Kirkstone Pass, down into Ullswater, left turn up up Matterdale, left to St John's in the Vale (there's a mile or two on the A66, which isn't great fun, but it's mainly downhill), down to Thirlmere (take the road along the west side of the lake), over Dunmail Raise, descend to Grasmere, then pedal back to Ambleside. Lots of climbing, but none of it knee-popping.
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    Leave Greenodd heading north on A5092, turn right on A5084 towards Torver. After approx mile or perhaps less turn first right at Lowick Bridge and then left on to east of Coniston Water road. After 1/4 mile take first right on minor road to Oxen Park, don't believe its signposted, a steepish climb follows. At Oxen Park turn left follow road through Grizedale to Hawkshead, then to Outgate and turn left heading towards Skelwith Bridge on minor road, again not sign posted if I remember correctly. (Look out for the inn at Outgate pub, that is where you should turn left). Proceed straight ahead at cross roads (Drunken Duck pub). At next very minor junction ignore left hand turn and carry staright on bearing left at next fork in road. At next juntion, a T junction, turn right into Skelwith Bridge. Cross the bridge and at next T junction turn left towards Elter Water. Carry straight on passing through Chapel Stile into Great Langdale and onwards to Blea Tarn, there's only one road. Climb to Blea Tarn is steep. Descend into Little Langdale, turn left (right takes you hard way up Wynrose). Next junction another T junction turn right. After 1/2 mile arrive at A road and turn right towards Coniston. From Coniston return to Lowick Bridge either west or east side of Lake. West side better faster road; East side more scenic but rougher road surface. From Lowick return to Greenodd.

Approx distance 40ish miles with around 4,000 feet of ascent, a few steep climbs particularly to Blea Tarn but avoids major passes.

A brilliant route which is both challenging and beautiful. I suggest an early start to avoid worse of bank holiday traffic. Best check route on map.
  • Try a trip to the Grizedale Visitor Centre http://www.forestry.gov.uk/grizedalehome
    Bike hire,smooth extensive forest trails,nice scenery and the "Go Ape" facility is superb if you have some energy left.