Goodbye Greenwich

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
For anyone who knows me and my other half we'll be having a Goodbye Greenwich short hills ride (can't let Cafewanda down so there's at least 3 hills) followed by drinks in The Union (Royal Hill Greenwich).

Date: Saturday 26th March at 5pm

Meeting place: top of The Ave (main road up) in Greenwich Park, by the roundabout - somewhere nice to loiter while we wait for everyone, and most of you will have done one of your 3 hills....

Let me know if you'll be joining us. If I can get an indication of numbers I'll see if I can reserve a spot at the pub. They're bike friendly....garden out the back where we put bikes last time.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    No!!!!!!!! :(:( . I'd rather say 'yay' but I'm off to Cambridge to see my mate's daughter get her 'whatever' from that educational establishment, so can't guarantee to be back in London in time.

I don't suppose you fancy a night ride? Bridges East to West, starting at the Lord Mayors office, 10pm that night?

:(:(
  • Sounds good. It's in my diary.
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    No!!!!!!!! :(:( . I'd rather say 'yay' but I'm off to Cambridge to see my mate's daughter get her 'whatever' from that educational establishment, so can't guarantee to be back in London in time.

I don't suppose you fancy a night ride? Bridges East to West, starting at the Lord Mayors office, 10pm that night?

:(:(

No!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry! tis the only date that looks anywhere near feasible. think the night ride is going to have to be missed....you can always give me a call when you get back to London, see if we're still slurping beer - you're welcome to join us just for chips/beer....promise we won't penalise you for not doing the hills.
  • Cafewanda
    OK. Made a note in the phone :)
  • is anyone else interested in joining us? happy to skip the hills....they were just in there to torment CW but she's come up with a reason not to come :wink:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Likely should be able to, might do the Bridge ride too come to think of it, assuming I can fix the fixed
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Make the most of sunny London,

You do realise how damp The Peak District is?

:twisted:

do you realise how many green hills and fresh air London Doesn't have?! :lol:
  • dhope
    jimmypippa wrote:

There's a nice area in SE London. Greenwich. It's got trees and everything.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    jimmypippa wrote:

Yes,

I used to work in Sunbury on Thames until I managed to get a job closer to the hills.

I had put my CV out, and stated I needed a week's notice before any interviews because I was working so needed to arrange holiday. I also said that I wanted to move because of the quality of life, and wasn't interested in anywhere South of Manchester.

I got a call on Friday afternoon, saying that someone had arranged an interview with Sony in Basingstoke, for the next Tuesday. I wasn't too impressed.
  • Cafewanda
    dhope wrote:
    Likely should be able to, might do the Bridge ride too come to think of it, assuming I can fix the fixed

Given your stated non-mech ability, I don't think that's a good idea. Put it in the shop this time :)

I'm really sorry I'm unlikely to make it. Having come back from a Southend ride, with a few 'upward' bits I reckon my legs could make short work of the Greenwich hills 8)

*This is probably a lie, but right now I stand by my claim
  • jimmypippa
    Just thought I'd share this:

I took this today on one of the hills near where you are moving (Castle Naze, near Coombs)

You can just see my youngest daughter running off in the distance:

5540632957_db77dc368c.jpg

Goodbye London, hello Peaks
  • dhope
    Cafewanda wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Given your stated non-mech ability, I don't think that's a good idea. Put it in the shop this time :)

Pfft, I've discovered the tool needed to fix the bit I thought was broken. A hammer :shock:
    I'm also taking the opportunity to remove some of the electrical tape that appeared around the time of the last fix.
    It'll be back on the road in no time :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Cafewanda
    So.................. that frame I was talking about................ 8)
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Just thought I'd share this:

I took this today on one of the hills near where you are moving (Castle Naze, near Coombs)

You can just see my youngest daughter running off in the distance:

5540632957_db77dc368c.jpg

Goodbye London, hello Peaks

cool, thanks for sharing...we'll be packing the van 2 weeks tomorrow!! yippee :)
    best get some more boxes!!
  • jimmypippa

cool, thanks for sharing...we'll be packing the van 2 weeks tomorrow!! yippee :)
    best get some more boxes!!

The other two are her brother and sister, in case you were wondering. Just had an hour playing on the hill...

Today it rained.

But when it's fine it's brilliant. The reservoir is is on my normal commute. The hills to the left (or right) some of my summer extensions
    8)
  • Cafewanda
    Update:

My friend's daughter has emailed us the itinerary for Saturday and I definitely won't be back in time for the Farewell. The Bridges ride later on is looking unlikely too :cry:

Still, I get to wander round one of the great educational establishments but my mate and I have to be on our best behaviour, which is a bit of a bummer. Daughter doesn't want us to embarrass her (as if I would :wink: )

CB. We'll talk before you fly/drive out for the final time. Have a great evening.
  • yeah yeah CW...you just can't handle the hills :lol:

ok guys....since CW has managed to wrangle her way out of hills I am cancelling all hill climbs and just going to head straight for the pub (this is slightly easier for us anyway as we have a visitor and perhaps not enough bikes).....so, lets say we'll be in the pub (Union) from 6pm. anyone who cares to join us is more than welcome. so far we have DM and possibly DHope. anyone else?
  • Cafewanda
    :(
  • *bump*

meeting at 6pm, The Union, Greenwich. hope to see a few of you there :)
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I'll be paying a flying visit at 6pm.
    Hat + Beard
  • I should be there at 6pm. It's a good thing that I came back to check - I still had 5pm at the Avenue in my very randomly accessed memory...double good thing when I mention that I really don't fancy any hills today....
  • thanks to DM, DHope, EKE and HB for joining us for drinks tonight....massive gold star to EKE for coming down from Barnet!!!! thanks everyone, had a great night.

HB/DHope...let us know how the bridges ride went

CW....hang your head in shame....the hills will be waiting for you!!!
  • I wouldn't dare write this on a RLJ thread but as it's a ''local issue'' thread I might escape the full hang-him-out-to-dry BR inquisition - last night, after leaving the above-mentioned pub, I went through a red light. It was a red light after an amber just before at a set of phased lights that do nothing but keep traffic and pedestrians waiting, and sales of traffic lights buoyant. Not only did I go over a red light but there was a forummer right on my tail when I did. Witness? Also, there was a pedestrian at the red light who saw us coming and very visibly stepped back away from the kerb so that his companion didn't simply walk out into the road without looking, so I thanked him in passing and, er, kept the delay down to a minimum...

Indefensible really. For a moment momentum seemed of more moment than stopping for a moment. Damn, now I've broken the word moment...

OT: but I've been census collecting all day (though some will spell it senseless collecting) with a co-cyclist. You know, I think people are actually quite pleased to see us working from bikes. For them, it's probably the first time anybody from the ''government'' has ever cycled up to their door. (Posties don't use bikes in the area.)
  • I wouldn't dare write this on a RLJ thread but as it's a ''local issue'' thread I might escape the full hang-him-out-to-dry BR inquisition - last night, after leaving the above-mentioned pub, I went through a red light. It was a red light after an amber just before at a set of phased lights that do nothing but keep traffic and pedestrians waiting, and sales of traffic lights buoyant. Not only did I go over a red light but there was a forummer right on my tail when I did. Witness? Also, there was a pedestrian at the red light who saw us coming and very visibly stepped back away from the kerb so that his companion didn't simply walk out into the road without looking, so I thanked him in passing and, er, kept the delay down to a minimum...

Indefensible really. For a moment momentum seemed of more moment than stopping for a moment. Damn, now I've broken the word moment...

OT: but I've been census collecting all day (though some will spell it senseless collecting) with a co-cyclist. You know, I think people are actually quite pleased to see us working from bikes. For them, it's probably the first time anybody from the ''government'' has ever cycled up to their door. (Posties don't use bikes in the area.)

wow. you broke the word moment. and got me, him and the other one LOL!!!
    senseless cycling(well collecting) eh....not sure where the barrier between work and play is there.... :)
  • dhope
    I wouldn't dare write this on a RLJ thread but as it's a ''local issue'' thread I might escape the full hang-him-out-to-dry BR inquisition - last night, after leaving the above-mentioned pub, I went through a red light. It was a red light after an amber just before at a set of phased lights that do nothing but keep traffic and pedestrians waiting, and sales of traffic lights buoyant. Not only did I go over a red light but there was a forummer right on my tail when I did. Witness? Also, there was a pedestrian at the red light who saw us coming and very visibly stepped back away from the kerb so that his companion didn't simply walk out into the road without looking, so I thanked him in passing and, er, kept the delay down to a minimum...

If it's any consolation Hatbeard and I were on an, um, other forum ride after so spent the entire evening jumping red lights to keep up with the cool kids.
    It was 'cause it was safer to do so*, especially because so few people had helmets. Not needing a helmet was evidenced when someone fell off and only broke their clavical. A camera might've saved them though.

*True fact**
    **Not true.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I think we're all going to rot in Helles for this! Or pale ale or stout...it probably depends on what you were drinking...
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    what happens on the ride, stays on the ride... :lol:

I wasn't wearing a helmet either!
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard wrote:
    what happens on the ride, stays on the ride... :lol:

I wasn't wearing a helmet either!

yeah, what's with the lack of helmet HB? didn't want to mention it in the pub in case you refused to buy me a beer :lol: