Most stupid bike maintenance mistake ever?

2»

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Put a new handlebar on my bike and finger tightened everything as my phone went. It was a longish call and I forgot I'd not fully tightened stuff. A quick test ride was going ok until I got out of the saddle put pressure on the bars which slipped and I ended up sprawled across the front of the bike with a sore chest and crushed tender bits.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Another crank related gaff; stripped the theads on the drive side crank arm by using the wrong bit in the crank puller. That was a while ago but now I need to replace BB and getting the crank arm off is proving a complete nightmare. :?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    stripped the theads on the drive side crank arm by using the wrong bit in the crank puller.

I stopped myself from doing that just in time the other week, I was lucky it didn't do any damage.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    unixnerd wrote:
    stripped the theads on the drive side crank arm by using the wrong bit in the crank puller.

I stopped myself from doing that just in time the other week, I was lucky it didn't do any damage.
    Very lucky! It's a real ball ache.

Have tried quite a few things, last resort is a mate's angle grinder. :shock:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Loosening the adjustment screws on my juicy 3 disc brakes (on my new bike) as they are a little off-centre. Brake fluid starts leaking out & I realised I've unscrewed the wrong ones.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Godders1 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Very lucky! It's a real ball ache.

Have tried quite a few things, last resort is a mate's angle grinder. :shock:

Effin square taper... I swaer it's the devil's work.

Why not Octalink godamit!
  • I steamed cleaned a mountain bike once. everything seized up because any greased parts no longer had grease in them. I was only 15 though,
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Gave my bike a really good clean involving quite a bit of dismantling. Put it back together and went for a test ride.

On approaching a downhill T-junction I realise the only thing I've not put back on is all four brake pads. Cue high speed feet down cornering whilst praying for a gap in the traffic followed by embaressed walk back home.