New to the Forum - and SE London commutes to the City

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Chaps and chapesses,

Just posted an intro in General, but EKE tells me the CHAT forum is where it's all happening, so thought I'd post here and say hello.

Just bought an Airnimal Joey Sport to commute from Hither Green into London 3 days a week.

I'm looking for a fairly quiet (is there such a thing in London) commute until I manage to grow a pair and get on a busier, and possibly faster, route (Lewisham, New Cross, OKR?).

I've taken a look on some mapping sites and the route up through Blackheath to Greenwich, and then through Deptford and Bermondsey looks like a nice route to start out with.

Any pitfalls, comments on that choice? I know it could be a tad hilly up to Greenwich way, but I'm happy with that as long as it is, overall, a safer bet to start with.

Anyway, can't wait to pick up the bike next week and see what it, and more importantly I, am made of!!!!!

Thanks
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I head into the west end from shooters hill and go across blackheath down into deptford then I turn right at deptford bridge and the left and up Evelyn street, onto Jamaica road then tooley street.

Only bit that can get hairy is tooley street with peds and taxi drivers doing random u-turns.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I go from Maze Hill to city by that route. It's fairly straightforward and some quick folks on good days.
    Will keep an eye out for an Airnimal :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • FoldingJoe
    Yeah, you might get a flash of blue in your periphery as I shoot past!!! ;)

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Yeah, you might get a flash of blue in your periphery as I shoot past!!! ;)

Talks a good game for a newbie (and possible nodder)!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    The Lewisham - Loampit Vale - Brookmill Rd - Evelyn St - Jamaica Rd is a popular route :)

It's nice, and flat ;)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I ride from Brockley to Chancery Lane. Straight through New Cross and up OKR for me, or slightly longer route sometimes through. If you want to take a quieter route from Hither Green, I seem to remember that I rode back from central London with a friend who had no lights and it was dark, we took side roads to lower the risk. I think we skirted round the river side without actually riding on the Thames Path itself. I think TfL publish maps of cycle routes which avoid main roads, try their website...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    ...I think TfL publish maps of cycle routes which avoid main roads, try their website...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11682.aspx

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Hi Joe

I cycle into Aldgate from Manor Park so roughly the same journey as yourself.

On the way in I take the route below, which is both simple and reasonably quiet

route.jpg

that gets me to Lower Road, then Jamaica Road, Tooley St and over Tower Bridge from which you can easily make your destination.

Yes, there is a bit of a hill up Lewisham Way but once at the bottom (by A2) its across a pedestrian/cycle crossing, down through a little park and then Trundleys Road is really quiet and easy - sheltered too! Saves about a 1/3 mile on the journey.

If you would like, I'd be be quite happy to meet up and show you in one morning.

See you soon!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Pufftmw wrote:

Yes, there is a bit of a hill up Lewisham Way

Is there? Can't say I'd noticed. :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

Oh, go climb a mountain!

Where were you for the SE drinks?

• ketsbaia
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

Oh, go climb a mountain!

Couldn't make that Thursday - had to go to a gig in Camden.

Definitely up for the next round, though.
  • Pufftmw
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

Oh, go climb a mountain!

A "bit of a hill" is what I said...

I had an urgent home problem so I missed both karate & the drinks :(
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    Hi Joe

I cycle into Aldgate from Manor Park so roughly the same journey as yourself.

On the way in I take the route below, which is both simple and reasonably quiet

route.jpg

that gets me to Lower Road, then Jamaica Road, Tooley St and over Tower Bridge from which you can easily make your destination.

Yes, there is a bit of a hill up Lewisham Way but once at the bottom (by A2) its across a pedestrian/cycle crossing, down through a little park and then Trundleys Road is really quiet and easy - sheltered too! Saves about a 1/3 mile on the journey.

If you would like, I'd be be quite happy to meet up and show you in one morning.

See you soon!

I see your route takes you rather cleverly from New Cross to Rotherhithe without a single set of lights. But, strangely, I don't recall ever seeing another cyclist on that route. (I sometimes use it when I come out of LiDL and following the one-way would send me completely in the wrong direction for home.)
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I commute from Hither Green too, and I'm another one who uses the Loampit Vale -> Thurston Road -> Brookmill Rd -> Evelyn St -> Jamaica Rd route.

Must say this Trundleys Road route that Pufftmw posted looks interesting. How do you get onto Trundleys Road from the A20? Do you turn off from the bottom of the A20 into the A2, and then turn left onto Pagnell Street?
  • FoldingJoe
    Pufftmw wrote:

See you soon!

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated. I'll drop you a pm when I think I'm at your level, so probably see you in 2012!!! ;):)

• ketsbaia
    artaxerxes wrote:
    I commute from Hither Green too, and I'm another one who uses the Loampit Vale -> Thurston Road -> Brookmill Rd -> Evelyn St -> Jamaica Rd route.

Must say this Trundleys Road route that Pufftmw posted looks interesting. How do you get onto Trundleys Road from the A20? Do you turn off from the bottom of the A20 into the A2, and then turn left onto Pagnell Street?

Yep. Then head across the park path and on to Trundleys. Doddle.
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:

Ketsbaia, is it too fiddly to get to the beginning of Clifton Rise (the road between the New Cross Inn and the Venue)? From what I remember, Clifton Rise leads straight down to the park. Mind you, it would probably only shave off 200 yards.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:

Ketsbaia, is it too fiddly to get to the beginning of Clifton Rise (the road between the New Cross Inn and the Venue)? From what I remember, Clifton Rise leads straight down to the park. Mind you, it would probably only shave off 200 yards.

You could try, but I wouldn't fancy trying to get down there given the oncoming traffic situation at that time of day.
  • FoldingJoe
    999 posts, Ketsbaia, next ones a biggy.

Your not a Geordie by any chance are you?

• ketsbaia
    1,000!!!

No, I'm not. Although I did live in Newcastle for a while. No, the name's entirely down to my uncanny resemblance to the former Georgian international striker.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Tried this new route today and it was excellent! Couldn't believe how quiet Trundley's Road was. The only downside is the number of speed bumps.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Tried this new route today and it was excellent! Couldn't believe how quiet Trundley's Road was. The only downside is the number of speed bumps.

hmm not sure if that'd be annoying, I'm guessing it's slightly less distance, is it fiddly anywhere or is it all guns blazing the whole way?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:

hmm not sure if that'd be annoying, I'm guessing it's slightly less distance, is it fiddly anywhere or is it all guns blazing the whole way?

There's one quick right-left dogleg under the railway line but apart from that it's all at your own speed. You can slalom most of the speed bumps.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Also in Hither Green riding into the City, tend to go over Blackheath/Greenwich park in the morning, then back the brookmill road route, I'd be happy to ride in with you one morning. Think I"ll give the Trundleys route a try some time if its not too fiddly.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    you might see me about too... pink bike, black duct tape. I'm an easy one to spot.
    Hat + Beard
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'll keep an eye out for you lot, I come up through Crayford, Bexleyheath, Shooters Hill, Greenwich Park, Deptford - Evelyn St, Bermondsey Spa and past Borough Station to Southwark Bridge. Watch out for a red top and London Phoenix shorts on a Trek Madone disapearing into the distance in a blur.....
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Pufftmw
    artaxerxes wrote:

Puff's Route (TM) :D

Glad you liked it but as others, I tend to go round not over speed humps ;)
  • Pufftmw
    Clever Pun wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:

The first part is silky smooth, then the next bit is a bit bumpy. I've never been held up at the dog leg though traffic sometimes backs up before it a bit.

Also, in the northern part of Trundleys, watch out for the street sweeper - he is regular as clockwork, day in/out, sun or rain (though he sometimes hides under cover in the rain a bit) - not a danger but nice to see every day :)