Do Tapered Head Tubes Need Tapered Forks to get Benefit?

myopic
myopic Posts: 692
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Every new frame that comes out seems to have a tapered headtube to give a stiffer frame. I can see how that works with respect to weld area etc. Another touted benefit is less flex from the forks. However it seems harder to track down forks with tapered steerers (unless of course you buy a bike with them already fitted). The question is, do you need to have a tapered steerer to realise the benefits of a tapered head tube, or will you get improved control with a regular steerer and the right adapters?
You don't need eyes to see, you need vision

Comments

• richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    its not the frame that there making stiffer, its the steerer of 1 1/8 steerer/crown fork that can flex under hard braking/steering.
  • myopic
    Ahh - so tapered head tube stiffens up frame, tapered steerer stiffens up fork?

If running a straight steerer in a tapered headtube, would the flex be worse than running it in a straight headtube?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no just the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    richg1979 wrote:
    its not the frame that there making stiffer

Yes it is, it works on both the fork and the frame. On the frame its giving the headtube a larger weld/bond/joint area than it would have had with a standard headtube.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The oversized steerer/crown interface reduces fore/aft flex if s 1.5 rather than 1.1.25. This 'stiffness' is not the same as as the stiffness from bolt through axles.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd still like to set up a blind test with a tapered frame and 2 otherwise identical forks, one with a taper and one with standard... Get some journos in- ideally from MBR :wink: - and see what they make of it in a pepsi taste test. I'd bet money some of them would get it wrong.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • myopic
    Interesting idea, Northwind!
  • That would be quite a good review time, especially with MBR doing it. Wonder how biased they will be if the bike is a Specialized. Obviously better because of the name haha :P :roll:
  • Dick Scruttock
    That would be quite a good review time, especially with MBR doing it. Wonder how biased they will be if the bike is a Specialized. Obviously better because of the name haha :P :roll:

Or a Orange 5.

Still could be like WMB and big up the new Saracen and create a whole new category for trail bikes just so it wins something...
  • richg1979
    richg1979 wrote:
    its not the frame that there making stiffer

Yes it is, it works on both the fork and the frame. On the frame its giving the headtube a larger weld/bond/joint area than it would have had with a standard headtube.

Os headtubes have been around for years in semi/integrated types.

All this new taperd headtube buisness is to stiffen up the crown/steerer.
  • supersonic
    Northwind wrote:
    I'd still like to set up a blind test with a tapered frame and 2 otherwise identical forks, one with a taper and one with standard... Get some journos in- ideally from MBR :wink: - and see what they make of it in a pepsi taste test. I'd bet money some of them would get it wrong.

I think the same would be true of 9, 15 and 20mm axles for many riders too.
  • richg1979
    qr/15mm yes but i think theres a notcable diffrence with a 20mm over qr/15mm.

run somthing like a pike next to a fox32 140 15qr and the diffrence in twang and stiffness is quite apparent.
  • Dick Scruttock
    TAPER STEERER BENEFITS:

· Precision steering improves downhill and technical handling
    · Offers better power transfer great for both XC and freeride athletes
    · Stronger frame without a real weight penalty
    · Allows the use of standard 1-1/8" stems"
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I must say having tried a 36 stanchion with 20mm axle (standard steerer) I could definitely tell the difference, even compared to a shorter travel fork. How much was the stanchions, how much the axle, couldn't tell you.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • supersonic
    This is the ting - with flex, the whole structure needs to be considered. In the above case of Pike and Float, the Pike has reinforced crown, steerer, stanchions and lowers.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    This is the ting - with flex, the whole structure needs to be considered. In the above case of Pike and Float, the Pike has reinforced crown, steerer, stanchions and lowers.

exactly what i was about to say :lol: however with rockshox now doing the rev/sektor with qr,15mm or 20mm lowers, im surprised a mag hasnt done a back to test to see if they can see the benefits of each system, would make an interesting read for sure
  • supersonic
    I have mentioned this to the powers that be, expect to see some tests in WMB soon :wink:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    MAKE IT HAPPEN :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • They could use a newer and older orange 5 for the test.... i mean, they are exactly the same apart from the steerer tubes....
  • supersonic
    I m phoning Matt on Tuesday for a chat about ideas and articles - anything you would like to see (though I cannot promise of course!), let me know.

Paul - your forum/mag go between :wink:
  • Naked ladies?
  • supersonic
    That may cross the boundaries lol
  • How about a test between 25.4mm bars/stem and 31.8mm bars/stem (keeping with the flex theme).

I've got an old set of 25.4 mm bars that I might use on the Norco, but would be interesting to find out if there is actually any noticeable difference between the 2.
  • supersonic
    WMB recenty did a bar flex test, but would be interesting to extend it to stems.