So wheres the worst place you have got a puncture?

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Just a topic for people to share/vent their frustrations at the punctures they got at the most inappropriate of times (i know punctures are inappropriate in general) but maybe there was a situation etc you wish for no puncture and you got one...

Feel free to vent :D
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    Bristol bikefest, numerous punctures over the years; only one was close enough to the end of the lap to run back :evil:
  • Bad times! I got one the other day 9 miles into a ride, went straight into a trench....highly p*****d off when i was walking back past the people i had passed half hour before.....
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Blow out half way up jacobs ladder about two summers ago, after taking the piss out of my mate for having 2 puncures and giving him my spare tube!!

Sods law me thinks!!
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Not a particularly inconvenient place but last summer I had a thorn puncture in the woods, had a tube change and snack break and carried on. Literally 20 minutes later another puncture, this time from broken piece of slate.... Annoying.

THEN, on the way home (about an hour later), this happened:

DSC00262.jpg

But what you cant see is that bastard thing was about 100mm long and came straight out the other side of the tyre wall. Never had a tyre go completely flat that fast before. :shock:

This is why my next bike is going tubeless. :roll:
  • D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Not a particularly inconvenient place but last summer I had a thorn puncture in the woods, had a tube change and snack break and carried on. Literally 20 minutes later another puncture, this time from broken piece of slate.... Annoying.

THEN, on the way home (about an hour later), this happened:

DSC00262.jpg

But what you cant see is that bastard thing was about 100mm long and came straight out the other side of the tyre wall. Never had a tyre go completely flat that fast before. :shock:

This is why my next bike is going tubeless. :roll:

Jesus! I would have been majorly pissed if that had happened.
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • robdaykin
    robdaykin Posts: 102
    Dalby Forest, on the road that runs down to the back of the village. Coming down the hill, which is used for hill climbs, I found that they'd put in a speed bump, just past the sheds at the bottom. Which would be fine, but I was doing the 30 mph that was signposted as the limit, and the speed bump was in a trench 6" wider than the bump and 3" deep. Which meant I hit the face head on at just under 30mph with the brakes locked on, and burst both tubes. To top it off, I bent both rims, broke several spokes, and that was about 18 miles from home. I stopped, started to repair, and the clouds opened. Then I broke a valve stem. So I got under cover, fixed one of the punctures, put my second spare tube in the rear and set off home, into the wind and rain.
    Alternatively there's the one where I was coming through Forge Valley one night, and ran over a badger. It got up and walked off. I had 2 bent wheels, 2 punctures, and about 5 miles to get home.
    Or the time I was on my way down from home to a business meeting in town. It's downhill all the way, and easy going. I was running a touch late, and at the first red lights I braked hard, and the front tube blew ripping a hole through the front tyre., Thought I'd been shot.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Two in 5 minutes at night, in the dark on what was going to be a blistering lap (for me) at the Bontrager 24/12 2008 Torchbearers Pairs at Newnham Park, Plymouth.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Left lung. Hurt like hell.
  • Left lung. Hurt like hell.

Just aswell you have two lol
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    last year, at the near top of Jacobs ladder.The weather had Just taken a turn for the worse. another about half way, followed by a third on the smoother section away towards barber booth. The last 2 caused by a crap pump. Ruined a good day out.
  • DirtMonkee
    DirtMonkee Posts: 373
    Up coniston old man....a large mountin in the lake district. Its a long rocky descent where i've never seen other bikers and I got a flat. I had been looking forward to this ride for ages as it was going to be epic and dangerous. Got a flat after about 5 mins going down and my pump didnt work!!!. I had to walk for hours down very harsh terrain until I got to a normal bike trail where I waited for riders to pass who had a working pump.

Needless to say I went out the next day and bought a really good pump. Money well spent, and since then I have never had a flat and that was in september of last year. Touch wood!
    Elmo is my dad
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    At the top of the telegraphs section at the North Downs with no tubes left. Had to walk down. Not Amused :twisted: Also, in my local woods. Started snowing half way though the repair in shorts and t shirt!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Not exactly the worst place more like the best place to fix a puncture was a couple of years ago one Summer's evening on the Dog when a hot - as in smokin' - 30-something lady asked me if I could help her fix a flat.

She was pretty impressed when I pulled out my Lezyne Alloy Drive and extended it.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    ^^^ sounds like the best flat to me :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Wasn't me but my mate realised his back tyre was flat about 5 seconds before his run in a DH race. He done the run anyway and still managed a better time than me.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Bristol - Bath cycleway, return route to Bradley Stoke area. A very rainy day and I went over some carpet nails that I can only assume some scroat had laid across the path on purpose
    Replaced both tubes that had various punctures. Later I picked up a seconadary flat on the rear. Patched the removed tube and fitted in the rear. Damn patch never held and I had a slow flat on the rear. I ran out of CO2 inflator cartidges and ode over 8 miles in the rain with this slow rear flat that needed re-inflating every mile or so with a tiny, p1ssy little handpump

The irony of the situation was when I got home I found a brand new tube AND two CO2 inflator cartridges in the very bottom of my cycling backpack...
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The end of a condom. :shock:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    jermas wrote:
    The end of a condom. :shock:

we have a winner :lol:
  • gsd
    gsd Posts: 114
    I had a chain snap about 10 miles from home in the middle of nowhere once. I didn't have a multi-tool or chainbreak so used twigs to hold the chain in place then relinked the chain by hitting it with rocks! It took about an hour and then I realised that I'd been stupid and linked the chain the wrong side of the final bit of the rear derailler! I couldn't face having another go so rode it home anyway and nearly wore through the thing!

I now *always* cycle with a multi-tool (including chain break :) ) two spare tubes and a pump!
  • jonnyc2420
    jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
    October last year, in rain at Haldon Trail Centre, ' never mind lads - a quick F1 style tube change and a blast with CO2 and we will be away'.............. until i froze my wet glove to the CO2 cannister, tried to remove it and found my fingers were frozen (badly) to the glove as well........ :oops:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • struck
    struck Posts: 320
    I used good bike once to do some shopping. It was a sunny day, locked up in busy street, shoppers everywhere, I come back after about 20mins and both tyres were stabbed/slashed... Tyres and tubes ruined and only about a week old, I couldn't believe it wtf little bastards! then I had to walk back with my shopping, a bike with two flat tyres and a massive lock :x

Never leave my bike anywhere again.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Early 90's in a downhill race on Blackcomb Mountain, Canada. Gave someone my last patch then got a flat. No one stopped. I walked the the rest of the course. Never made that mistake again.
    Dumb a55.
    Many happy trails!
  • I did this about 12 miles from home. This was the last time I ever took the bike anywhere without a tyre boot and (touch wood) the only time I've ever needed one.

It was was a longass walk home

10052009062.jpg
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I did this about 12 miles from home. This was the last time I ever took the bike anywhere without a tyre boot and (touch wood) the only time I've ever needed one.

It was was a longass walk home]
    Duck tape will get you home in that situation as well, and is also handy for a few other trail side bodges.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Worst place I got a puncture was in the side wall of a brand new Michelin Pilot tyre. I had only ridden the blimming thing about 8 miles then back to the tyre shop to watch a grinning cnut swap it for another brand spanking new round rubbery thing costing me another £165.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • oodboo
    stubs wrote:
    costing me another £165.

For a tyre??? WTF?

Strava
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    oodboo wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    costing me another £165.

For a tyre??? WTF?

Michelin pilot sport 3 rear tyre on a Suzuki Hayabusa you want a decent tyre they dont come cheap.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • oodboo
    Ahhhh, motorbike. fair enough. :oops:

Strava
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Being chased by chavs.
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5365046/

This happened to me on the 13km DH from the top of pila resort down to Aosta. Tube didn't go out till I pulled the nail out at the chairlift (about 2km with it stuck in!)[/img]
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222