I did a couple of hours off road today...

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You'll be going skiing next. Or buying an iPad.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    It was radical dude, I caught some wicked air, did the most awesome wheelies, and did a skid.
    It was excellent.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    sounds "sicktacular"
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    One day you roadies will learn :twisted:

169060_193570144005048_100000561915520_612771_1748551_n.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • PostieJohn
    Cor woo that looks amazing, I can only dream of pointlessly riding slowly down a grassy knoll. :lol:

I did start the day with a superb 46 miles through the undulating Sussex Downlands countryside with a couple of decent climbs.
    Much of my proper ride was on quiet country roads and was as near to perfect as you can get.

Then this afternoon I reminded myself why there is only one true form of cycling.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    okay, going to throw myself right in the lions den, I don't ride that much, the last time I went out on "the" road bike it scared be big style, open gates and hedges plus a gust of wind equals DD nearly on the floor.

MTB I feel much more in control, apart from one particular route which I always seem to go wrong at, forget breaking etc. And hooning around a track corner hitting loose gravel is not one of my best plans.

But road is what I like, my preference. So if any of you sane people have any tips on how I can get my "mojo" back I'd be grateful.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • thel33ter
    Sell the roadie, buy a big FS MTB, and pull some knarly backflips 8)
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    thel33ter wrote:
    Sell the roadie, buy a big FS MTB, and pull some knarly backflips 8)

Get out the road section you dirt eating girl :lol:

The road section is for real men only 8) oh and of course any women that ride proper bikes :P
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • thel33ter
    I've got a road bike, it gets used at least as often as my MTB :)

I've also never been hit by a car on my MTB, which I see as a nice benefit.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rozzer32
    Yes but you still play with the dark side.

Well that's surprising seeing as on a road bike you share the roads with cars.

Whereas on a dirty bike :lol: you share the fields with a farmer and his dog.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    rozzer32 wrote:
    The road section is for real men only 8)

Go shave your legs, it'll match the feel of your skin tight lycra manly man. :wink:
  • rozzer32
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    The road section is for real men only 8)

Go shave your legs, it'll match the feel of your skin tight lycra manly man. :wink:

Hahahahaha as a matter of fact I did mine tonight.

This can only be settled with a race! I think we need to organize a Bike Radar road vs mountain bike event.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This thread was almost full of win. now it IS :lol:
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    [quote="rozzer32"This can only be settled with a race! I think we need to organize a Bike Radar road vs mountain bike event.[/quote]

Ok, we will ride x miles on road with our mountian bikes. You then ride a downhil track on your road bike :lol:
  • rozzer32
    kenan

Lets do it! Although the road section would have a fair few climbs, up for it? If my winter bike can handle all the s**t weather we have had then I think it could manage a bit of downhill :P

Might have to walk down some bits though, but due to all the time we would have made on the road section then I can't see it being a problem :lol:
  • DIESELDOG
    rozzer32 wrote:
    kenan

Lets do it! Although the road section would have a fair few climbs, up for it? If my winter bike can handle all the s**t weather we have had then I think it could manage a bit of downhill :P

Might have to walk down some bits though, but due to all the time we would have made on the road section then I can't see it being a problem :lol:

The last (best) "race" I've witnessed was between TheAddict, his cycling bud and a guy on a moped, (de-restricted) round the road route of the water.About 20ish miles I reckon.

Despite a sneaky short cut by the moped TheAddict plus buddy made it past the pub first. Best race I've ever seen!

Love n hugs

DD

• kenan
    TBH the road climbs will be a pleasure as the lack of drag/mud would be nice for a change. However I was thinking of installing a speargun modified with a magnet tip to hitch lifts from unsuspecting cars. They will assume the noise was just me being knocked off my bike so they won’t look in the rear view mirror.

So you guys really don't dabble in off road riding at all? I just assumed most people did a bit of both (no I don't mean like that)
  • Anonymous
    So the moped could go above 30mph? If a road rider can beat a (guestimating) 40mph moped over 20 miles, then colour me impressed.
  • kenan
    I used to ride off-road with some rodies. What they lacked in skills they made up for in the climbs when they fecked off into the distance.
  • thel33ter
    No doping, and no motors in your bottom brackets as used in the tdf and it's a deal 8)

Btw, if you use the 'manly' walking down hill trick, we get the mtber way of getting up hills, an uplift :D
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rozzer32
    thel33ter wrote:
    No doping, and no motors in your bottom brackets as used in the tdf and it's a deal 8)

Btw, if you use the 'manly' walking down hill trick, we get the mtber way of getting up hills, an uplift :D

OK balls to it, I'll stay clipped in!
  • kenan
    rozzer32 wrote:
    OK balls to it, I'll stay clipped in!

Thats how I roll :oops:
  • DIESELDOG
    So the moped could go above 30mph? If a road rider can beat a (guestimating) 40mph moped over 20 miles, then colour me impressed.

Trust me, it was one worth watching, especially the moped (yes de-restricted) down on his bars trying to beat the pair to the plough.

Funny as f*ck. Probably more so that the moped rider (Actually substitute that for slowped), owns the local garage!

Yeah, they were both totally battered at the end but the challenge finished in the pub so all was good!

Love n hugs

DD

• Anonymous
    I used to have to drag race a moped with my racing RC car when I was about 12. Some guy with a moped kept "tuning" it, and kept trying to win back his pride.
  • DIESELDOG
    I used to have to drag race a moped with my racing RC car when I was about 12. Some guy with a moped kept "tuning" it, and kept trying to win back his pride.

LOL, must admit to being tempted too set my stepfather up, sending lord knows what remote controlled up after the LR, and beating him. Quiet roads then thank god!

Love n hugs

DD

• Anonymous
    Oh yeah, the moped never did beat the RC car. Not surprising really, seeing as it was clocked at over 60mph through the light gates on a racetrack :lol:
  • PostieJohn
    kenan wrote:
    I used to ride off-road with some rodies. What they lacked in skills they made up for in the climbs when they fecked off into the distance.
    When I looked at the bike I was using I thought the half wit, in the mountain bike shop, had put the cassette on the front and the chainring on the back.

This is until I looked at the cassette, it was so small I thought it was a long long way away.
  • PostieJohn
    Would we have to allocate time in any race of standing astride your bike, filling a whole path, and point in different directions.

Cos that seems to take about 20 mins.
  • thel33ter
    Yup, we would also need to set aside time for cake at some point, and flapjacks, and tea 8)

And of course the annoying guy who keeps fiddling with their bike.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • rozzer32
    thel33ter wrote:
    Yup, we would also need to set aside time for cake at some point, and flapjacks, and tea 8)

And of course the annoying guy who keeps fiddling with their bike.

We don't normally stop for coffee during a race :wink: