creaking noise!!

nickbec
nickbec Posts: 36
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a GT force 2 with the idrive system. I have develpoed an awful creaking noise when I put pressure on the pedals. I have removed and regreased the hollowtech bracket and checked pedals. I cannot find the noise can you help

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info in the link in the FAQs.

it could be anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • z0tty
    z0tty Posts: 47
    edited April 2011
    chain ring bolts.. stem...seatpost to mention a few..

as said above..by mr short n sweet lol... could be any number of things bud.. case of starting at one end and keeping going until you fix/find it (notice i say find.. isnt always fixable!! :o :shock: :o ) .. good luck on your quest bud
    if it fits in my man cave i want one!.. NOW!!
  • try the pivot bearing, the bottom one is just above the bb so could be that one.
    sean
  • Does your model have modular dropouts (swapouts)? the bolts on these can work loose and will creak as the dropout moves under heavy loads.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I have the same issue on the Marin HT. I simply cannot find anything that appears to be making the noise, which has me fearing a crack in the frame scenario.

In the past, on other bikes, l've found it to be simple things like chainring bolts, saddle bolts, maybe even a QR skewer that isn't quite fully closed. However, the Marin is proving to be more of a mystery.

Hope you find it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    If it is an iDrive then there is a very strong chance that the idrive assembly needs stripping and cleaning. You normally end up with a kind of gritty, greasy paste around the bearings and iDrive linkages. Don't be tempted to blast it out with a jet wash as you need some grease in there. On the earlier bikes GT recommend Copperslip.
    The earlier GT's used a Shimano BB tool to access and adjust the bearings but I think the Force has a slightly different design. Have a look on the GT Bicycles web site and you should find all the manuals and service guides you need there. I would strongly recommend that you learn how to do this maintenance yourself as you will need to do it on a fairly regular basis.
  • I may be over simplifying, but I had this after fitting a new BB, turned out that the cranks weren't tight enough.. Once these were tightened up all noise stopped...

Good luck!
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Also try greasing the seatpost - I was convinced for ages that my BB was knackered - even fitted a new one and wondered why it was still creaking...

Bit of grease on the seatpost and bobs your uncle!
  • ^^ +1 had simular issue but adding some anti seize to seatpost problem sorted.

also check for play in headset as sometimes if there is play you can get stuff going into headset and making a horrible grinding sound
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Wobblehead
    Wobblehead Posts: 264
    ^^^

Same problem tonight, not cleaned my bike after Sunday, went out tonight, convinced my bb was shot.

Cleaned the seatpost with my hands, all fine again, no noise
  • AndrewBF
    AndrewBF Posts: 20
    I've had creaking getting progressively worse over the weeks since the grubby dirty rides of winter.

Rear drop out.. nope.

Seat post.. nope.

BB.. nope.

Hmm... each had been taken out, lightly greased and reapplied. No difference.

The sound was getting progressively worse, like cycling along with someone from the BBC sound effects dept playing a loop of a very rusty hinge on a door being opened.

Rear drop out... out, fully clean, lashings of copperslip... nope.

Seat post... out, fully clean, lashings of copperslip... nope

BB.. out, fully clean the threads on the bracket and in the frame, really give it a clean, then lashings of copperslip.

Oh, my, word. Silence. I can't remember riding a bike this quietly before. Bliss.

A word of warning though... don't put too much copperslip on the seat post - mine decided to sink mid-ride regardless of the clamp tightness, it has now been taken out and de-copperslipped :)
    Follow @mtb365 on Twitter
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    funnily enough i have the same problem, ive got a cube reaction, its an XT chainset and ive never removed one, dont know if ive got the tools either, anyone know if these are straight forward to remove? im guessing i need to tighten up the bottom bracket, pedals are about 10 rides old so surely not them? :?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    really do not overlook the stem, you pull on your bars when you push on the pedal
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • cavegiant wrote:
    really do not overlook the stem, you pull on your bars when you push on the pedal

mine creaked slightly till i nipped it up. also whwre the bars attach needs a spot of copperslip and bolts nipping up.

also clean the chain and give it a good scrub to get rid off all the crud in there then re lube properly . thats what stopped the creak as i pedalled ( forwards as well as back on the freewheel).

was enjoyable stripping the whole bike down to clean it though.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png