Long trip bike security...

mrlargefoot
mrlargefoot Posts: 10
edited March 2011 in MTB general
This is my first post here so apologies if its in the wrong place or this is covered often.

Long story short i am preparing my initial plans for a 3 month mountain bike trip through south east asia next year sometime. I havent done anything similar to this before so theres a lot to get together! I thought i would start a topic here to see if theres anyone with first hand experience or relevent tips.

My current bike is a Pitch pro which i will be highly customising over the summer.

My initial and most pressing queston is security, insurance is not a problem but i dont want to be left miles from anywhere with un un-repairable/stolen bike. I have my usual combo of massive D-lock and cable but since my last bike was stolen i have taken to never letting this one out of my sight unless its inside at home.

So does anyone have any tips regarding security on the move; how to secure it when camping for the night, the likelyhood of lockups at hotels and general precautions.

I may well be checking back if anyone has done this before so thankyou for your time reading this and happy trails!

Matt.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're camping, take it in the tent with you, and attatch it to a limb. I wouldn't trust any other way of securing it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you're camping, take it in the tent with you, and attatch it to a limb. I wouldn't trust any other way of securing it.

They'll just take your limb as well. Mu ping I think it's called at roadside food stalls. Mmmmm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thats kind of the idea i had for camping etc, i do know that hostals are damn cheap especially in thailand but i havent a clue on locking up at places like this.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    I agree with keeping it inside the tent, also secure it to your bed when in hostels etc. Basically keep it as close to you as possible at all times.

A fishing line from the frame to the big toe should wake you if anything untoward goes on whilst in your slumber.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Get a bike alarm!

You get them on E-bay for around tenner, they run off a 9 volt battery.

Here's one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Alarm-Grat-I ... 4601wt_905

I clip mine to the underside of my seatpost, if anyone disturbs the bike it goes off, hopefully waking the whole campsite.
  • Best security ever is hire a mexican midget to guard it. They like being paid in Tequila, so the extre agression comes free basically