Snow

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Sitting here in central Glasgow, I have been watching the snow come and go.
Is on a little just now. No danger of it lying, just a bit bizzare....

Hope it goes before hometime..... plus 2 flats on last 3 commutes..... bad roads, bad tyres..... or just bad luck. :x
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Flakes are now the size and shape of prawn crackers!! :shock:
  • Flakes are now the size and shape of prawn crackers!! :shock:

Mmmm... tasty. I don't know about you, but I'm getting a bit sick of winter.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    A couple of people in the office said it was snowing as they were making their way in this morning. Just rain up here in Falkirk though.

Hope the snow is gone by tomorrow. I'll be in Glasgow for a meeting and I'll be taking public transport. Don't particularly want to be standing around waiting for a bus in a blizzard.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    its muggy here, looks like its going to pish is down, plus its weirdly warm.......

i bet it starts raining at 16:30 (my home time)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521

It's spring down here. This week has been my first week of shorts :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Wallace1492
    snooks wrote:

It's spring down here. This week has been my first week of shorts :D

Second week of January i went back to shorts, when temperature rose above minus 5C :shock:
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Been snowing here for 7 hours heavy but it's just turning to slush. I do love this countries weather as yesterday I was hill walking with a T shirt on!!!!
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    It's falling quite heavily in Scotstoun as I look out the window, looking forward to heading out in it in about 30 mins, the question is do I go for that 20 miler or just go straight home?

At least it's not pishing rain, prefer snow any day!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    We had over a foot at one point in Aviemore but it's +2C now and it's slumped down a bit. Still snowing though. Have been out cross country skiing and conditions lower down are good but it could do with being colder, was -2 last night.

They've had about 4 feet higher up with more forecast.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I haven't quite worked out what to wear for my commute.
    I still seem to think its winter (technically it still is) so I've been overdressing. My co-workers were greeted with me sitting at my desk in only a pair of 3/4 tights and little socks as I sweated profusely for the first half an hour of the morning.

Its really a good job that I don't face customers!

Must MTFU and wear a lot less tomorrow. That or ride slower.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Er went MTBing in the forest this afternoon in shorts & t-shirt even I he who wears longs in summer got hot and sweaty.

and it was only 14c according to my home weather station, really glad I have ice cold beer waiting at home - phew!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I got caught in some lovely sleet/freezing rain going from Paisley to Glasgow Uni this morning, fortunately the small office heater has crisped my socks up lovely (after I wrung them out in the bin, yes i'm popular) and the "prawn crackers" (nice analogy btw) have ceased just in time to head home. Must check on the dryness of the tights, I am no longer allowed to leave them inside out over the heater due to the spontaneous ovulation this brought on in the female staff members... ok it was more like vomiting, but hey - is there anything worse than pulling on a damp pair of roubaix tights before a chilly 10 miles home?
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Wallace1492
    Snow off, looking brighter outside. Ah well, lets hope that was the last of the year, well for Glasgow.
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    I down south am one of the few people that misses the snow... :(

Great fun on a MTB :D
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    This forum is Soooo Scotlandcentric :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    :!:

Just cut the grass and now sitting in the garden soaking up the sun :shock:
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    As luck would have it the snow stopped just as I left the office, 5 mins later the rain stopped and bue sky was seen... Couldn't believe it, temp didn't get much above 2C mind you but I remained dry!!

I really want this weather to stop now.
  • Flakes are now the size and shape of prawn crackers!! :shock:

cooked or uncooked....there's a difference. though I suspect the size of the flakes has now changed.... :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I haven't quite worked out what to wear for my commute.
    I still seem to think its winter (technically it still is) so I've been overdressing. My co-workers were greeted with me sitting at my desk in only a pair of 3/4 tights and little socks as I sweated profusely for the first half an hour of the morning.

Its really a good job that I don't face customers!

Must MTFU and wear a lot less tomorrow. That or ride slower.

I've been having that problem. shorts are too cold (I head in early) and longs are too hot...gilet too cold / jacket too hot. can't get it right. and don't ask me about glove types and combinations.....
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Spring down here for the last couple of days - lambs bouncing around, birds coughing in the trees, first BSO of spring this morning
  • Freaky weather though.....

On the commute home tonight, there was nothing on the ground at all until Eastwood Toll - then Hey Presto! - instant Christmas card scene - 2 inches of wet snow everywhere.

Bizarre :shock:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Wallace1492
    Still had snow in my garden as I left this morning. However has turned into lovely day. Sun is shining, birds are singing.... ah the joys of spring!!!
  • mcj78
    The snow was replaced with freezing fog this morning, had to abandon my specs. after 10mins as they'd fogged-up then frozen over... looking nice outside now though, actually looking forward to the ride home now!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • My ride home is going to be tainted this afternoon by the bruised and bloodied knee I now have after a couple of 'offs' along the Paisley cycle track.

The black ice was treacherous, but at least I've learned a lesson!
  • mcj78
    br0wnpants wrote:
    My ride home is going to be tainted this afternoon by the bruised and bloodied knee I now have after a couple of 'offs' along the Paisley cycle track.

I used to use a section of that cycle path on my commute, the surface of which seemed to solely consist of broken glass & "dug shite" - Paisley rd West is slightly more tyre friendly & the drivers don't generally seem too bad, even bus drivers, although at certain times you end up with half a dozen buses going along the rd in convoy...
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Wallace1492
    mcj78 wrote:
    br0wnpants wrote:
    My ride home is going to be tainted this afternoon by the bruised and bloodied knee I now have after a couple of 'offs' along the Paisley cycle track.

I used to use a section of that cycle path on my commute, the surface of which seemed to solely consist of broken glass & "dug shite" - Paisley rd West is slightly more tyre friendly & the drivers don't generally seem too bad, even bus drivers, although at certain times you end up with half a dozen buses going along the rd in convoy...

Heading out south west from the city.... good stuff.

Need to start extending my commute over the Erskine Bridge, though not sure if the SS will cope with the climb. maybe next week I will give it a go.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Better prepare for the bad weather to be back tomorrow. I'll have time to go for a ride so it'll be horrendous.
  • mcj78 wrote:
    br0wnpants wrote:

Heading out south west from the city.... good stuff.

Need to start extending my commute over the Erskine Bridge, though not sure if the SS will cope with the climb. maybe next week I will give it a go.

Yeah, it was the South West part I was on. It's a pity, a bit of 'dug shite' and broken glass might have given me a bit of traction.