Trek EX8
Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    because it's a bollocks test
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    will have a look at that later, no sound at work, as said bollox test, but did like some of the frame mounted cam angles really see the sus pumping :D
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

Having just watched it, wot he said.

Ibis Mojo SL, Yeti 575 or ASR-Carbon etc. etc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    What a waste of time. I got excited when they mentioned the test but what a let down. Didn't tell you anything about the bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    To be fair, their reviews of everything is the same.
    Which laptop is best? I dunno, let's see who can photoshop an image quicker.
    Phone test, lets see which one has the best camera.
    Games tests, lets get people who never play games, and watch them play it.
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Why a remedy surely the fuel ex is a more suited bike for the terrain they were on :?
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    its stupid, they went for an Orange Five over a CARBON STUMPY!!! :evil:

Plus there was no mention of the Yeti or Ibis :shock:
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    birchy wrote:
    Why a remedy surely the fuel ex is a more suited bike for the terrain they were on :?

Cos remedy's are better :wink::D

<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • dan shard
    To be fair, their reviews of everything is the same.
    Which laptop is best? I dunno, let's see who can photoshop an image quicker.
    Phone test, lets see which one has the best camera.
    Games tests, lets get people who never play games, and watch them play it.

What he said. Their test are a load of poo
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    actually it was a mojo HD, sad as it is i noticed my own bike :lol: but still, a poor old test, the remedy is far better specced than the orange, the yeti and HD are farrr better looking and the stumpy is shite to begin with anyway :roll:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    lawman wrote:
    and the stumpy is shite to begin with anyway :roll:

So is your face.
  • lawman
    Briggo wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    and the stumpy is shite to begin with anyway :roll:

So is your face.

no offense to stumpies owners intended, i just dont like them, much like people dont like the orange 5 :lol: i rode a stumpy expert and thought it was an average bike imo, probably really good for some people, but not for me
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    None taken, fact of the matter is me and my bike are better than you. :wink:
  • They kept on moaning about the front end washing out on bikes! Chances of them setting up the suspension?
  • Does anyone know the location of where they did the test?
  • lawman
    Briggo wrote:
    None taken, fact of the matter is me and my bike are better than you. :wink:

i doubt that very much :P
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    Seemed like a very fair and thorough test to me, and the best bike was the the clear winner. :D
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    What matters most is what bike suits the individual rider best.
    Going downhill, the orange is heavier and more stable than the carbon framed whippet but try pushing that 30 pound orange up the hill and see who wins.
    I ride an orange 5 but it suits my style of labour up, fly down. Not fly up, pray down..
    It is a silly test but quite fun to watch.
  • LittleEuge wrote:
    Does anyone know the location of where they did the test?

Looked like the last section of Follow the Dog at Cannock which would make sense as the Gadget show are based in Birmingham. Was the only highlight of an otherwise wasted episode but that seems to be the way the show is going these days. If they wanted a totally balanced review then the bikes should at least have had the same tyres on all of them to eliminate handling differences, after checking out their website this evening I was surprised to see that there was a Yeti and an Ibis in the test as they didn't get mentioned but I guess it got trimmed to fit so there was more running time left for the 'Challenge'.
  • The Yeti and Ibis would have just been in the studio for reference and would not have been tested. They would have had less than a day in winter to test the bikes they would have just jumped on and rode them and they would have only ridden the 6 I expect.
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    Test was the last section of Follow the Dog at Cannock Chase. It's got a very slight downhill bias so I'm surprised the more downhill oriented bike won, but then that could be tyres, fatigue or any number of factors.

Bollocks test though... I'd have a Yeti anyway...
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    why didnt anyone tell me the Trek has an adjustable seat post, wheres my cheque book
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Personally i think the should have got Polly and Suzi to test the bikes wearing nothing but a thong each :shock: Now that would have been worth watching ...........bike on bike action :wink:
  • dan shard
    Im sure it actually said cannock on the vid, but yes it was the last section of the dog where those stupid rollers are
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Stupid??? I quite like them, so long as there is no one in front coasting over them at the time. Some twat the other week refused to let me pass about 400 mtrs before the rollers and considered it a race. He was slow as hell, ruined what was a decent run and his feet kept coming off the pedals everytime he tried to jump the rollers. I had to slow right down for fear of landing on his crumpled body when he inevitably crashed. Still don't know how he managed to stay upright.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And yet you didn't think to stop for bit to let him get ahead?
  • dan shard
    shx8000 wrote:
    Stupid??? I quite like them, so long as there is no one in front coasting over them at the time. Some fool the other week refused to let me pass about 400 mtrs before the rollers and considered it a race. He was slow as hell, ruined what was a decent run and his feet kept coming off the pedals everytime he tried to jump the rollers. I had to slow right down for fear of landing on his crumpled body when he inevitably crashed. Still don't know how he managed to stay upright.

lol always worth watching for that moment.

They're a great shape but In my opinion they are waaaay to close together (Only done it once though and that was a while ago) I thought if there was a little more space between you could take them much faster and get much better air. As it is if you hit them too fast it feels like you'll plough nose first into the next one

just my opion though
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Not really, as i had only just passed a load of other riders, so would end up having to wait for them to pass as well, and had literally a minute of riding left before being back at the car park.

All comes down to a previous thread, about what is acceptable. I know some riders just shout "passing on your left/right" and expect to get past. Which I find quite rude when it is said to me.

I just say morning or afternoon and hope they get the hint. Usually works.

Good point Dan, and I did just that 2 weeks back. Ended up way off the trail, just glad the ground was soft :)
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069

Having just watched it, wot he said.

Ibis Mojo SL, Yeti 575 or ASR-Carbon etc. etc.

+1 ....mind you it was the Gadget Show...entertaining no doubt...but dubious testing methods :shock:
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Hardtail ftw....much quicker over a lap of Cannock :D I find people at Cannock generally move out of the way pretty readily.....not a race though anyway is it.....the race at Cannock on Sunday-now thats a race :D