160 or 185 mm front disc - XC - rider wieght

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,171
edited March 2011 in MTB general
What diameter front disc do you have on you cross country bike i.e. not for crazy downhilling and apprix what rider wieght?

Asking 'cause most L (large) size frame bikes seem to have 185 mm on the front but I have been using 160 mm quite happily yet am in the 97 kg :oops: bracket? (my riding is mostly cross county with some up and downhill) and have not felt the 160 mm discs are inadequate.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    both.

100kg plus.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,236
    Currently rocking around 97kg here and I run 180's at both ends on my heckler.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    No point adding the weight of a larger rotor & adapter if the 160's working for you. ;)
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • nicklouse wrote:
    both.

100kg plus.
    +1
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    180 on both, and always 180 on long decents 160's always fade and suck nuts.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    95+ Kg myself and run 203F/185R but the biggest improvement was calipers themsleves.
    I went over to Avid Code brakes, much better than the Juicys the bike came with as standard
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    95+ Kg myself and run 203F/185R but the biggest improvement was calipers themsleves.
    I went over to Avid Code brakes, much better than the Juicys the bike came with as standard

used to run codes at 203 on the DH bike TOO much power. now have them on an HT at 180 and still too much power.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    biggest improvement was calipers themsleves.

this

i was running 180's F&R when i was using Shimano brakes, but now use 160's F&R now im using Formula's, and they are waaaay better

i weigh around the 98kgs mark
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    :oops: newb question :oops: larger the rotor the greater the stopping power???
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mak3m wrote:
    :oops: newb question :oops: larger the rotor the greater the stopping power???

Every thing else being equal, yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mak3m
    ta muchly :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Larger rotors create more torque and therefore more stopping 'power' for a given lever pull. This isn't always a good thing though. The brakes may feel too sensitive and lose fine control.
  • mak3m
    ahhh so a well set up smaller rotor would be an advantage, particularly if im swapping from v's and have very well developed brake pulling muscles :P
  • No point adding the weight of a larger rotor & adapter if the 160's working for you. ;)

Weight differences are miniscule between the 2 sizes, so it doesn't really make a difference to which size on that front.

I've used both sizes, and it really depends more on what speeds you go and how quick you need to stop that determines which you use.

I personally prefer larger rotors, as when you do come across a time when they would be useful, they are there.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    mak3m wrote:
    ahhh so a well set up smaller rotor would be an advantage, particularly if im swapping from v's and have very well developed brake pulling muscles :P

For some, yes :wink:
  • 02gf74
    thx for replies.,

hmmm, interesting.

weight difference between 160 and 185 mm would be about 60 g.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    thx for replies.,

hmmm, interesting.

weight difference between 160 and 185 mm would be about 60 g.

Where did you get the weight differences from? For hope floating rotors, the 160mm weighs in at 78 grams, and the 140mm at 64, so a 14 gram difference for 20mm difference. Not sure exactly on weight of adaptors though, how much would the difference on those be?
  • 02gf74
    .... measuing a number of 160 and 185 discs and this is the approx. weight difference which also allows a bit for the adapter and longer bolts.