whats the name of the heart rate rhythm ?

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
121321,1216871134,1.jpg

does this have a name ? doing a google search it comes up with rythm, rates, pulse etc but does this wave (?) have a medical name ?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ECG Curve
  • northernneil
    cheers nap
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    electrocardiogram or electrocardiograph?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
  • You can't tell sinus rhythm based off 2 wave forms. Plus If mine looked like that or someone that I was doing a 12 lead ecg on i'd be a bit upset.

That is just an ecg waveform you have there.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750

Looks more like a logo to me.
  • Weejie54 wrote:

Looks more like a logo to me.

well yeah of course but that wasn't his question.
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    Most medical people would call it a "trace" as it only shows one lead.

I there are P waves it is generally sinus rhythm, there don't seem to be. There also seems to be a nasty looking gap after the second complex which may well correspond with being dead.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • There are what look like a couple of dodgy P waves.

Yep definitely dead the 0 is a bit of a giveaway :lol:

so it's not sinus rhythm its turned into asystole or hopefully just a bit of a pause :wink:
  • northernneil
    this is all confusing .... so if a doctor said to some other doctor "whats does this paitents ______ look like ?" what would be the word missing ?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    this is all confusing .... so if a doctor said to some other doctor "whats does this paitents ______ look like ?" what would be the word missing ?

"Widow"?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823

ECG.

I wouldn't like to be the patient with the rhythm at the top of the page!
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    LangerDan wrote:

"Widow"?

:D:D
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    Most doctors would only say ECG for a 12 lead set up. This is only one line so most would call it a "trace" or more correctly a "rhythm strip" or "strip".

What's pink and hard on an orthopaedic ward?

An ecg

:oops: Sorry
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • The thing is that because there is actually a trace on the screen means that the heart rate being zero would not be true. Even if the patient is dead and this trace were on the screen then the monitor would still show a rate. This is known as pulseless electrical activity or PEA. The monitor shows activity but the heart is no longer actually contracting.
    But I must say that in fifteen years as a cardiac nurse I've never seen anything like that trace!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476

Depends on the context of the question. It is likely to be ecg, but could be trace, complexes, rhythm, rate, etc.....

Re: flat line, likely to be a lead disconnection, line is far too flat for asystolic arrest!! :wink: (and as said above, complexes with no output = PEA!!)
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • But I must say that in fifteen years as a cardiac nurse I've never seen anything like that trace!

Phew it's just not me then. I'm an ICU nurse and was thinking that I need to go on another ECG course :lol:
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My wife's a physio, and it always drives her nuts on TV when they show a flatline. Especially if they then use a defibrillator. She always says you'd only get a flatline if the leads were disconnected.
  • It's quite difficult sometimes when your trying to tell a family that their loved one is dead especially when they can still see them breathing 'cos they are on a ventilator an the occasional twitch on the heart rhythm bit of the monitor. Especially when you don't have chance to explain to the family what will happen when they die ( in the case of it being sudden)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How 'dead' does the deceased have to be to show a flatline?
    Or in other words, how long until electrical activity stops in the heart?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    LangerDan wrote:

"Widow"?

I genuinely LOLd
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    NapoleonD wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

"Widow"?

I genuinely LOLd

Snap.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!