Rotterdam ferry port

orraloon
orraloon Posts: 12,674
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone experience of using the Hull - Rotterdam P&O ferry with a bike? Looks from the various map searches that the Rotterdam ferry terminal is on the south bank of the river and one gets dumped off in petrochemical land on the main road network.

I'd want to head north towards Haarlem using the LF1 route, which tunnels (?) under the river at Maassluis.

Can't work out if the few km from the ferry port until reach the LF route involve much dodging of petrol tankers or if there's a cycle path.

(Edit: OK, I see is a ferry not a tunnel Rozenburg to Maassluis. Great thing this Google, eh?)

Comments

• I cycled to the Hull ferry last summer at the end of a ride from Switzerland following the Rhine from it's source. Its dead easy. Lots of signposts, distances as well, except no distances to Hook of Holland.

You could cycle to the Hook and take the ferry if you are heading North. Or you can head inland and take the tunnel. The roads are fine, but there are plenty of cycle paths.

On the way back to the ferry it's good seeing "Hull 5km" signs as you approach the ferry. Check in is also easy with bikes having their own route to follow. The ramp up to the ferry is pretty steep if you are fully laden. The crew have ropes to help secure your bike for the crossing. The cycling in Hull by the ferry port is far worse than anything you will find in the Netherlands.

Nice places to visit near the ferry include Brielle, Hellevoetsluis and others on the coast.

The Netherlands is great for cycling except the wind. Lost of windmills to look at when it's blowing though.
    Over 50mph on Malaucene descent
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Cheers. I should have known bikes would not be forgotten in Holland. Never toured there before, only hire bikes in Amsterdam and Leiden.

Reckon you're right: of this mini North Sea tour I'm contemplating - to Hull, ferry Rotterdam, Holland Belgium to Calais, ferry Dover then South coast and up, the UK parts will be the least bike friendly.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    orraloon wrote:
    Cheers. I should have known bikes would not be forgotten in Holland. Never toured there before, only hire bikes in Amsterdam and Leiden.

Reckon you're right: of this mini North Sea tour I'm contemplating - to Hull, ferry Rotterdam, Holland Belgium to Calais, ferry Dover then South coast and up, the UK parts will be the least bike friendly.

Better to go the other way round if you can - wind can be brutal

Going NE along the Afsluitdijk I averaged my best ever speed sailing along in front of the wind