Fair Weather Commuter Thread.

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Tomorrow should see the first commute of the year.

Anyone else brave/stupid enough to admit to being a fair weather commuter?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    "Fair weather". What is that you speak of?
  • tailwindhome
    It's all relative.

For me daylight is more important than the weather.

Riding along a very busy main road with HGVs flying past in the pitch black is not my idea of fun. Last year they were building a dual carraigeway parallel to the existing main road and there was a continual stream of lorries from the quarry to the works site. Hopefully that has abated now the dual carraige way has finished, also the last 2 mile of the original road is now virtually traffic free.

So the weeks clothes were taken in today and the bike has been loaded into the car (for the first half of the commute) -I'm sure I've forgotten something.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I live in Manchester. If I opted to be a fair weather commuter then I'd be counting the number of times I'd have used my bike on one hand!

For me, the harshness of Winter is the worst case scenario and that;s over now. i.e. Pitch black in the morning and at night and needing two sets of gloves or you risk loosing fingers to Jack Frost.

Things can only get better from now on.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I remember when I first went to Manchester to do my degree it rained at least once every day for the first month. A very wet place.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Did my first successful one today (of the year, that is).

I tried on February on one of the lovely mornings, but this was halted by an accident less than half a mile from home. Back on the tube tomorrrow, as I've got a meeting in Bond St.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • tailwindhome
    Left the house this morming to drive the car leg of my 'park and ride' commute in the rain.

As if by magic the clouds parted and blue sky emerged just as I was taking the bike out of the boot.

It was almost biblical

*Goes to find SC Stats thread*
  • I rode in today. The weather was fair, but for the wind which was unfair.

My diary shows that last year at this time I probably was a fair weather commuter. Since autumn, 5/5 has become standard; and I've got shot of the car which helps. As would petrol at £1.35/l.

So in summary, I own up to being a former fair weather commuter. and (deep breath) you'll never catch me in the SCS tailwind!!!
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I'll admit to it. No shower or drying facilities at work, so if I get a soaking, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be wearing wet clothes on the return leg. Fcuk that.

Shame, really, as there was a shower where I used to work and I'd cycle in any conditions.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Burn them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    My clean shiny Felt is a fair weather commuter.

My winter hack, a rusty green Marin with slicks, gets used when it's unfair

My mtb gets used when its awful

I use the tube when it snows
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I am a fair weather cyclist and will freely admit it as I cycle for enjoyment.

Today was my first commute of the year but that is more to do with available light than the weather. Looking out the window, it will probably be wet going home but I can live with that.
    If it had been raining this morning however......I would be warm and dry commuting in the car.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No commute for me but a fair weather ride only to get to the cakestop to find a group of new and expectant mums talking about placenta scans and sucklike. Done my best to block them out and surfed on my Android phone. Decided to take the sleeves off my Gore Phantom just as the sun found a cloud to hide behind :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • All year round commuting for me, you pansies :wink:

(Mind you, I am starting to develop webbed feet with all the rain/sleet/snow we've had this winter)

Only time I won't go out is in anything above a Force 7 (tends to blow one out in front of the HGV's), or sheet ice. I'd like to keep the one working ACJ I have left, thanks.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    All year round for me - you don't fully appreciate the beginnings of spring unless you've ridden through the depths of winter.
    Sadly I'm off the bike this week as I'm on standby and have to bring the CP vehicle home