From commuting to fitness to racing?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
was just doing a bit of research into cycling growing as a recreational sport.

From a commuters' perspective, what would you like to see more of from the various cycling bodies, local authorities etc?

What could be done to make your cycling safer and more enjoyable?

If are 'just a commuter', do you intend to 'get more serious' about cycling and take it up as a sport? If you haven't already, is there anything in particular stopping you?

If you have already, is there anything that would have made it an easier and swifter process? What was useful?

What sort of resources or info would help you do so that you don't feel are available at the moment?

Thanks in advance for any opinions / suggestions.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm not really interested in crits or track riding, but I am interested in sportives and triathlon. I don't think I need any additional resources (there are clubs in my area I can join and get advice) and the only thing that would make my cycling safe would be a general improvement in the standard of all road users (apart from me as I'm perfect already).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I've gone down the commute-fitness-racer route (not very far into the racing bit yet though). Can't say there were any stumbling blocks in the way, unless you count the races being difficult to get to for where I live.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - less potholes and more considerate road users all-round.

I'd like to do more charity-type events rather than racing for the sake of it.

And I'd like to see the Revenue stop trying to torpedo CTW schemes. The cost of all the gear to cycle is a significant barrier and dropping taxes where possible on cycling isn't going to hurt the public purse much (given the windfall from fuel prices and the reduction in road use).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • thanks all, really useful stuff

(by the way, there is a purpose - there's a possibility your suggestions / opinions will eventually feed through and have some impact)
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I'm not really interested in crits

Crits: a great way to destroy your bike and suffer a wealth of pain.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg66 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Why is that?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    There tend to be a fair few crashes in cat4 crits...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Why is that?

Crits are notorious for (a) requiring you to ride at 10/10ths from the off to the end; (b) crashes, of the pile-up variety.

Mind you, this is based on what I've read of crits, rather than personal experience. Perhaps they're genteel events after all.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The one I did was just ruddy hard - I would have needed to keep up to be involved in a crash! Still, if you want to race (and lots on these pages seemingly do) then its where its at - will hopefully find the time to do a few this summer.
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    crits are quite dangerous in my experience, some people don't know how to ride in a group, and there is also the fact that they tend to end in sprint finishes, and some people sprint when they're not in a position to win, which can cause crashes.

I commute longish distance, and do racing. I'd like to see an improvement in cycle paths and lanes in general, esp on busy roads, some of them are pants!

also very much agree with poster who says revenue should leave C2W schemes alone.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    A general improvement in road conditions would be a major step forward, particularly in some of the country lanes.

Some educating of the public mightn't be a bad idea either e.g. have the "look before you turn" adverts for bikes that you have for motorbikes.

Hoping to ride a couple of races at Crystal Palace in the next couple of months. That should be "fun" if my previous race is anything to go by - treating it purely as interval training.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539

From a commuters' perspective, what would you like to see more of from the various cycling bodies, local authorities etc?

I really couldn't care less, there are roads and I can ride on them, that's enough.
    What could be done to make your cycling safer and more enjoyable?

Bike mounted RPG launcher
    If are 'just a commuter', do you intend to 'get more serious' about cycling and take it up as a sport? If you haven't already, is there anything in particular stopping you?

I used to race a lot, I've tried road, track, TT, XC and downhill, what puts me off is the way so many people take it far too seriously when I just want to do it for fun. Nowadays apart from SCR I only race cyclo-cross and the occasional alleycat.
    If you have already, is there anything that would have made it an easier and swifter process? What was useful?

Joining a club is the first step, other members will help and encourage you, as well as keeping you up to date on local races.