Aches and pains... what does anybody else do to get rid?

2»

Comments

• mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    miss notax wrote:
    I'm feeling old today :(

15 miles off-road last night felt like bloody 100's of miles! My back is aching like hell today and my right knee is merrily crunching and cracking (and hurting) at every opportunity. I am avoiding the doctor at all costs for fear of what she will say, so am hitting the ibrupofen and wine instead :D

Ironically my back always feels fine when I am actually riding, but sadly work gets in the way of my all-day MTBing! I'm open to all suggestions about the knees though!

We are off skiing at the weekend which should be interesting....

LOL... know how you feel.

As for knees... when climbing, do you spin or tend to tough it out in a higher gear. I read something recently that suggested spinning in a lower gear was better for your knees than being manly and using a higher gear.

Other than that... am guessing you've adjusted seat height to make sure you're getting most efficient pedalling position. Seat too low and it will definitely have an effect on your knees. My Mrs used to have her seat set lowish as she didn't like her feet on tippy toe when seated. Persuaded to move her seat up and she's never looked back.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • voodooman
    voodooman Posts: 183
    It looks odd, but put bar ends on - you can alter your hand position more. At least put some comfort grips on.

Check your knee position when cycling and get it right (and try flats so you can change it slightly).

Invest in full length Skins tights and long sleeve top, and then wear it afterwards for the rest of the day. Even overnight if you're feeling kinky.

When you have a shower after, turn it to cold at the end and take it for as long as you can.

I do the above (not overnight in the Skins though - not allowed) and it works. I'm 41 and played loads of sport (cricket, football & squash) which has left me with chronic injuries just about everywhere - personally I hope something comes from stem cell research, and soon!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Thanks for the advice guys!

I have actually just put my saddle height up a bit as I think I was *possibly* doing the girlie thing of having it too low... Will give the cold shower a go, and also look at Skins - not sure about overnight though, I can imagine Notax's delight to that :shock: :lol:

As for uphill technique I am a sit and spin girl anyway, so not sure if I can adapt that to be any more knee friendly. I am firmly of the belief that if I have all these gears, i'm damn well going to use them :lol: No manly (womanly?) mashing uphill for me :D

Am feeling a little less decrepid today, off for a bit of pre-ski crunching with the chiropractor this aternoon :?

It never used to be this difficult when I was in my 20's!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc