The commuting nod - is it a common thing?

DaveHudson
DaveHudson Posts: 290
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Morning all,

Haing just started back cycling to work last monday (75 miles in the first week, Not too shabby) I've spotted far more commuters on my route than I did last year.

I have also noticed a growing trend for a acknowledging nod to be passed between me and the other cyclist. I think it's a great little confidence boost.

Anyone else noticed this occuring, It may be common in the cities but I'm well in the sticks :)

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i try and give them a nod and a smile where possible and a telling grimace and roll of the eyes if i'm on my way up a steep hill!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Ahh, the Nod of Appreciation. Always good, don't expect it to be always be returned.

Yeah, I live a bit out of town too, but it still survives :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    i do tend to nod, smile or wave if i see a fellow commuter on my way to work or home. as per the above there does seem to be more cyclists on the road these days.

its nice to get a response but i do get a bit narked when they dont respond and simply ignore you.

sometimes its a bit them and us again. if i'm on my mtb then roadies wont say hello and if i'm on my road bike then hybrid / mtb'ers seem oblovious to me.

or maybe i'm just a wee bit sensitive to this?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    sometimes its a bit them and us again. if i'm on my mtb then roadies wont say hello and if i'm on my road bike then hybrid / mtb'ers seem oblovious to me.

I've noticed this as well. Unless I'm lycra'd up and on a road bike no one seems to acknowledge me. To be fair, I sometimes do the same, because generally if you nod or say "morning" to a general 'nodder' you get a blank look of bemusement or you sometimes startle them into swerving all over the place.

'Cyclists' acknowledge each other. 'People who cycle to work' generally don't.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I would say most of the other cyclists I cross paths with nod. Its nice when a nod is returned but I don't get upset if it's not. Some do the "I don't understand frown". If I was to categorise I would say that commuting roadies are the most likely to nod, mtb'ers next most likely and serious weekend lone roadies least likely.
  • I gave the nod to one chap and all I got in reply was "feckin' w@nker"!!! It's the 'proper' cyclists who nod - either roadies, or people with fully laden panniers, or Bromptons. You know - people who obviously have a bike as big part of their life. Normal people creaking around at 10mph on a BSO are less polite
  • alipaul
    alipaul Posts: 12
    I always give a nod and a hello .. But you can always tell the ones who dont want to even look at you .. eyes fixed at the road and just ride past you... Oh well
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    It's the same with running/jogging - you can make eye contact with some as you pass on the pavement and give a nod or wave, but others not bothered.
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    If I ride in a city where you go past many cyclists a minute then I think it's a given not to bother, but on a quiet country lane when it is just you and the other cyclist I find it amazing how some look right at you and say/do nothing in a way of a greeting. If they are clearly making an effort and don't look your way, fair enough but how hard is it to turn your head 10degrees and say hello?
  • I always nod. I like to be friendly with people I pass... brightens the day a little and if I'm ever stuck at the roadside in technical difficulties I think people are more likely to stop and help you out if you have been friendly when passing them in the past.
  • I think it's telling that various threads in the Road section refer to "nodders" in a slightly condescending and superior way.

I usually commute on my hybrid and "nod" to most folks - like phillipj I think it's polite (we are a "community of cyclists" after all), costs nothing and maybe next time the puncture fairy visits you'll get a friendly bit of help at the roadside.

It's easy to make sweeping generalisations (so I will :wink:) but 'hardcore roadies' often ignore you if you're wearing hi-viz. On the rare (dry) occasions I've taken my road bike (fully lycra'd up of course) I still nod to other commuters, but I've noticed other roadies now nod to me as I'm riding the "right" kind of bike and wearing the "right" kit... :lol:

Go figure.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. "Manners maketh the man" as they say.....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I nod, therfore I am..... nowt like being friendly to fellow cyclists. Not too many through the winter up and down Maryhill Road, but most always got a friendly smile and nod from me.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mousetoo
    mousetoo Posts: 53
    I think it's telling that various threads in the Road section refer to "nodders" in a slightly condescending and superior way.

Maybe I misunderstand but I think the reference to "nodders" refers not to the fact the cyclist says hello to others, but that his head "nods" with their technique of cycling?
  • raymc
    raymc Posts: 38
    As others have said, it depends on what your riding.

FWIW If out on my shiny Bianchi I often get an acknowledement from club cyclists. If however i'm out on my Dawes galaxy commuting or day touring as I was last Sunday, I get ignored.

Used to it by now but there does seem to be some form of snobbery amongst some of the Lycra persuasion.

It does put me off joining my local club! :(
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i love the "nod" of acknowledgement of a another cyclist

but some are miserable sods, you dont see that many cyclists here in Liverpool so when you do its a bit of a novelty.

we will wait an see if when my spesh tricross arrives the lycra clad roadies nod. at the moment they dont when im riding my mtb.
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • UpTheWall
    UpTheWall Posts: 207
    Spread the bike love.

Nod, wink, and a little bum squeeze if possible.
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Glad to see I'm not alone in trying to be friendly! If you see a news report of a fat cyclist from the tiptree/witham area up on sexual abuse charges, You know who to blame! /\
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    There's a regular I see on my commute in Huddersfield, as i'm rolling down hill he's coming up and we nod heads. It's at that point that I'm always glad that my ride to work at 6.30am is all downhill.

He appears to be a roadie too, and still nod's. They're not all bad! I am currently cycling on my slicked up hardtail bike with baggy shorts, so roadies should hate me. :D
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • mousetoo wrote:
    I think it's telling that various threads in the Road section refer to "nodders" in a slightly condescending and superior way.

Maybe I misunderstand but I think the reference to "nodders" refers not to the fact the cyclist says hello to others, but that his head "nods" with their technique of cycling?

You could be right..... :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    mousetoo wrote:

You could be right..... :D

Yes, nodders are cyclists who tend to have the bike in high gear and nod as they heave the pedals round, using their upper bodies to heft on the pedals rather than dropping into a lower gear and spinning. Generally seen in low grade, fair weather commuters on BSOs....

I don't nod to anyone one the commute, partly because to see and nod to every cyclist on the road in London would have me nodding like a Churchill Insurance dog, there are way too many. I only acknowledge other cyclists when I'm out in the country on club runs...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I only nod when I'm about 3 miles out of the centre (of Manc). Far too many people otherwise.

It's like all niche groups. Motorbikers (inc. my Dad) have a weird head twist noddy thing because their helmets prevent a real nod. Caravanners (sp?) do it, classic car people do it, dogs on parcel shelves do it.

I do sometimes mutter curses though if it's not reciprocated, esp. when the perpetrator looks like a something or other.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    on my way back yesterday a cyclist overtook me (he was on a road bike and i have a mountain bike so its ok!!) and said "hello" as he did and i hadnt noticed he was there so made me jump! i replied but it was half hello and half arghh! it still counts!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes