Giro Helmet Replacement...

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
.....Does anyone know about getting replacement Giro helmets? Had a crash over the weekend, guy in front of me on a club run swerved to avoid a fag packet in the road and came off. I was about 10 metres behind but as we were heading downhill round a bend I wasn't able to brake hard enough and went straight over him. My bike got tangled in his as I hit it and I flew over the bars down the hill. Landed on my shoulder and hip which are bruised and my head hit the ground after that. The helmet has a bit of a scratch on it and otherwise looks fine but I suppose it needs to be binned and replaced.

Someone on the ride said that Giro operate a replacement scheme at 50% retail price for damaged helmets. I'm not sure where I put the info that came with it when I bought it.... Has anyone heard much about this scheme? Can't see anything on their website or even find a number to call...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Don't worry.... Sorted....
  • Headhuunter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ouch, hope you and the bike are ok
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Headhuunter
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ouch, hope you and the bike are ok

Other than shoulder and hip my left wrist and thumb seems to be badly sprained. Rode home from the accident spot OK although it hurt to shift gear on the left or brake, then later that afternoon it really puffed up and I could barely move it. At about 9pm went to A&E thinking I may have broken something, was seen by a nurse who said that she would put me in the queue to see a doc who may do xrays but eventually I just got bored waiting, it was going to be several hours wait she said. She brought me some painkillers and antin inflams which helped massively and this morning it is much, much better but still painful. Didn't ride in this morning as I still think shifting and braking would be tough. Will see how I feel tomorrow, hopefully I can ride again! I could just stick it in the big ring and not shift at all!

I think my other bike, the one that was in the crash is OK. It was pretty splattered in muck and mud though so need to clean it off and give it proper check. Something was ratting as I arrived home but I think that was one of the bottle cages. The brifters are all scratched up and I noticed that the little clip thing that routes the cable round the head tube seems to have broken off. Might "No More Nails" it back into place later. Or is that bad for carbon? Also one of the carbon rails of my lovely 145g Selle Italia Team Thoork Edition saddle has broken. Got it on ebay for bargain price after it was mentioned on this website, list price is £130! Will have to look for something similar.

The guy who crashed in front of me said that it was his fault and offered to pay for the damage but I said it was OK... After all I suppose I crashed into him even though he was a little silly swerving round a tiny bit of card while descending!