Stelvio opening?

The Kennington Kaiser
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Any ideas when the stelvio pass opens this year? Previous years seem to indicate late May/early June. I'm heading out there in the last weekend in May and wondered how strict they are about letting cyclists up even if it;s still formally closed to motorised traffic.

Comments

• shawman
    shawman Posts: 76
    The road should be clear of snow by then but as with many alpine cols the issue is not the road but the show still on the mountain above it. If the road is closed it is closed for a reason. Basically just be cautious as the road is not open until the risk of avalanche has passed.
  • \\cheers, shawman, thought thay might be the case. Will have to keep an eye on the snowfall in the dolomites. Understand it#s been a bit poor for the skiers this year so we might be in for a bit of good luck and some clear roads.
  • Italiano
    Italiano Posts: 75
    I donno the exact situation of Stelvio, but we've got enough rain (and snow in the mountains); also some more this past week.

If the spring will be like last year, Stelvio will open very late.
  • Cheers Italiano - I might check in with you in a month's time for an update, let's hope it brightens up.
  • chrisba
    chrisba Posts: 91
    Last year, it was opened the last weekend in May. There would have been no possibility of getting over it before in any kind of vehicle or bike, as there was still 10 feet of snow on the top that had to be bulldozed through before it could open.

This years late snow has been lighter than lasts, but there is still time for more...
  • I'm bouncing this thread in the vain hope that someone may have been up near the Stelvio this week and have a better idea of the likelihood of it being opened soon. We're heading out on Sunday so fingers crossed for next week.
  • chrisba
    chrisba Posts: 91
    Hmm, looking at the webcam, it still looks pretty snowy.
  • Blo0dy hell, you're right. I'd checked it last week and had seen what looked like a fairly clear road at the top albeit with snow on either side, but that looks like a fresh dump of snow. Hmm, I may be looking at alternative rides next week.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Last year the Stelvio officially opened on its east side at 18.00 on 8 June, but it was already open coming from the north (via Santa Maria and the Umbrail Pass) and west (via Bormio) about 10 days earlier. So you could go up, but not over (the routes from west and north adjoin short of the summit).

This year the summer ski season above the pass starts on 28 May or 4 June, depending on accessibility, meaning the hoteliers hope it will be open by one of those weekends, although they might also be satisfied with open only from one side.

In the next few days about 6" of snow is predicted at the top of the pass, in fact down to about 1500 m (approx elevation of Bormio to the west and Trafoi to the east), with daytime temperatures just above zero at the top of the pass.
  • Guzzirider
    Guzzirider Posts: 6
    Even when the pass has opened it can be affected by bad weather- I had to wait for it to be snowploughed in late June before, and have also experienced snow in July on my powered two wheeler.
  • Well, I'm going to ride it today. Weather's very good in Bolzano so we'll see how far we get. I'll let you all know. Cheers for the various advice.
  • It was closed (officially) but open if you were prepared to 'negotiate' a few barriers along the way. Stunning, stunning climb with some staggering views of the glacier along the way. Not as much snow as I'd been expecting and closed to all motorised traffic with about 12k to go to the top so we were able to use the whole road. A fair amount of cr@p and fallen rocks on the last few km but nothing too tricky. One of my top 3 climbs ever.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Okay. I'll bite because i must :wink:
    What are the other two?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Okay. I'll bite because i must :wink:
    What are the other two?

Well, until we went out riding again the next day and rode the Sella Ring I would have said the north side of the Col du Galibier and the southern face of the Cime de la Bonette in the French Alps, but I can't now answer your question as there are too many choices :wink:

The Sella Ring was really awe-inspiring, particularly the Passo Pordio and Passo Sella. So that;s my top 5, perhaps with the Port de Bales in the Pyrenees and the south side of the Cormet de Roselend thrown in to complete a top 7. it's the combination of epic scenery, nice grades and peaceful riding that make them my faves. What about you?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I am only dreaming as Sa Colabra doesn't come close :oops:

The Galibier and Stelvio are up there in my wish list but the others are new to me. I was expecting Alp D'Huez or Mont Ventoux so this was refreshing. Thanks!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.