new chain cassette and rear hub.

raz208
raz208 Posts: 18
edited March 2011 in The workshop
My merida crossway is just about 10 months old, I commute 9 miles round trip every day even in the recent bad winter snow and ice. I noticed recently my bike was running roughly clunking and knocking which I tracked down to be my cassette. Took to LBS where I purchased bike they found my chain was stretched and needed replacing along with the cassette. When I picked up my bike I was told my rear hub had to be replaced as it was rusty and full of water, another 30 pounds on top of the other work. Shop owner asked if I ever leave bike out in the rain, which I don't as it is kept indoors at work and I always dry off when ridden in wet conditions also clean regular with muck off cleaner and bike spray. Does this sound right for a hub to be replaced on such a new bike???

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hub? or freehub? (the bit that goes click click click when you dont pedal).

did he rebuild the wheel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • raz208
    Oh yes sorry it was the freehub that was rebuilt.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i cant rememeber the last time i replaced a freehub to be honest.....

and i have abused some bikes in the past.

does the freehub slip/ not engage or is there any play in it?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • raz208
    Yes there was a lot of play within the cassette, and the drive chain was trying to turn when freewheeling, and not clicking on its ratchet if you can understand what I'm saying.