I've just been given...

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited March 2011 in MTB general
some Hope hydraulic Disc brakes by a friend who doesn't use them any more. My Hardrock has Vbrakes which I had been thinking of changing, hence him giving me some old Hopes. The frame will take discs, but I would need new hubs, some rotors and to get the brakes serviced.

I can't decide if I should change them over or not. Partly, I don't know if I have the cash spare (and time/know how) to get everything I need, get it all fitted and up and running. Secondly, V's are horrendous in the winter for clogging, but I have no real problem with them for riding in the summer which is on its way. Having never had discs, I don't know how much better they are. Should I really aim to get them on ASAP, or would waiting till next winter not make much difference?

(If I decide to change over, prepare for "what hubs/rotors" thread, swiftly followed by a "how do I fit hubs/rotors" thread ;))

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scarbs85
    Sorry they are Mono M4's, missed that off :oops:

My camera isn't handy right now, but I will get some pics up soon if you still need to see them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sell them on and get something better.

not the best of hopes brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Has he given you them as a favour or because he was chuucking them out? If a favour, give them back and let him sell them on...if chucking out, then sell them and make some cash.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    nicklouse wrote:
    sell them on and get something better.

not the best of hopes brakes.

Would disagree there, i've had 2 sets of mono mini's on 2 different bikes and of all the discs ivs tried the hopes were by far the best brakes ive ridden interms of stopping power and modulation.
  • scarbs85
    Selling them isn't an option. I've been given them to use, selling them on is taking the wee wee a bit. If they arent worth the investment of hubs and rotors then I will hand them back.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    save up, buy new wheels, fit new brakes. take 10 mins max
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As you're not in a rush then I agree with VWSurfbum. Put a bit of cash aside each week. Then, assuming they'll fit your forks, buy new wheels and rotors and fit the brakes.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Mono M4's might not be the best hope brake but they'll be an upgrade on the Vs & a free bit of bling is never a bad idea.

You can get a set of Shimano MT15 wheels for £80 at the moment. You'd need an adapter if you wanted to run 6 bolt rotors though.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • if you do give them back to your friend, you can ask if he wants to sell them for cheap to me :)
  • scarbs85
    Nope sorry MountainMonster, think I'm fitting them. Dropped into my LBS today for some supplies and had a word about it. They do pretty cheap servicing for the brakes, offer to fit them for a stunning £6/brake. And of course a new set of improved wheels may not be cheap, but is an upgrade in itself, and I get the (free) bonus of improved brakes thrown in.

Might still try to fit them myself though, just for learnings sake :?
  • Their not hard at all to fit. Do your forks have mounts for disc brakes? If so you just need to worry about finding which mounts you need ( IS or post), choose the size, and bolt them on!
  • curlie467
    curlie467 Posts: 225
    Just ask for some secondhand wheels in the wanted section, i sold some which had disc ready hubs and would suit v-brakes recently for £20 posted, they were dead straight and decent mavic rims with shimano hubs, just get looking, i reckon you could do this on a proper stingy budget.

Get a wanted ad up, you will be surprised in what people offer.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Definitely worth doing. Just buy one thing per month if needed and defo recommend fitting yourself. It's dead easy n makes problem solving easier if/when required
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Ps since when has summer meant better weather lol!!
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    The brakes will be good, there was nothing wrong with the M4s...they did after a while need some TLC but all systems do.

I used them and loved them.

Save up and get the wheels/hubs/mounting kit to make them fit as they are good.

(My previous response was done on my phone with poor web connection so had to be quick)

Enjoy them once fitted.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...