Bike design

2»

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I think people are confsuing general riding with racing and likewise assuming pack-racing for recumbents would be similar as it is for conventional bikes. The thought of a peloton of recumbents tearing along at 80kph+ on flat stages could certainly make racing tactics a lot more interesting and you'd probably see some interesting teamwork for breakaways. With 'open racing' there's no reason why riders wouldn't change to an upright for the mountains - there's also the prospect of a solo breakaway on a recumbent being chased by a pack of uprights on rolling terrain?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/hope-hb-t-paris-renishaw-3d-printed-split-seatpost/
    Blimey they're having a crack at the seatpost too now. One of those hideous POC TT helmets would be a must too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Good to see I was posting quality content 12 years ago.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,341
    I'm still hoping to see a mass start team faired recumbent race at 80km/h

Though surely the team thing becomes less important, as wind resistance is less of a factor
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • focuszing723

I'm still hoping to see a mass start team faired recumbent race at 80km/h

Though surely the team thing becomes less important, as wind resistance is less of a factor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWM0CHJeYAI
    Yeah covered aero recumbents, nice.
  • focuszing723
    https://mcmurtry.com
    Just to add Reinshaw 3D printed.
    Now that's pushing the boundaries of fantasticalness.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,955
    mtb.boy said:

But would they all be recumbents?

Are there certain climbs in the Alps or really tight corners where they could not be used?

or can recumbents go anywhere a normal bike can?

A modern open recumbent would have no issues with a tdf route ...not sure about some of the fairing types
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,955

I've never ridden a recumbent but my concern is visibility, a lot of the lanes I ride are bordered by hedges, on an upright I can see/be seen over the hedges. On a recumbent I can't.

How do you find riding in the wet? A recumbent would seem to place one's face at about the same height as the spray from car wheels.

Recumbent is an insanely poor idea in traffic ....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm