riding in france -holiday

brakelever
brakelever Posts: 158
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
having a couple of weeks in south of france - late june staying near perpignan, any information on routes ect - any info would be of help . :)

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Can't help on routes that far south. I regularly visit the Orb Valley which is nearer to Bezier. Cycling in France is an absolute joy. Smoother roads in general, not a lot of traffic and courteous drivers. Cafe stops abound and the locals love to see cyclists.

Enjoy. I am over in July to catch the TDF around Montpelier and enjoy some days out on the bike. Can't wait.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • x8swift9x
    x8swift9x Posts: 268
    Can't help on routes there either, I've toured france the last tour summers by bike (paris - montpellier, 2 weeks) (nice to dieppe, 3 weeks) Roads are great, weather was great, attitude toward cyclists is great! Enjoy it!

The maps we used both times were the michelin 1:150000 series, I highly recommend purchasing the one(s) that cover the area your visiting - D roads (yellow) are fine to cycle on, and most of the time are very quiet, if you want pain a triple ^ road will give it to you! We found that out by accident one day, when the ^^^'s weren't noticed by the map reader! 20+% after 70 miles riding with 30kg's of gear = PAIN
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I had 2 weeks in carcassone - not too far away last summer,

perfect cycling country, pretty much just bought a couple of maps (IGN are the OS maps of france) that covered the area I was staying and made routes up as I went along sticking to the quiet back roads.

Often I'd cycle for 20kms without seeing a car

Carcassone and the Cathar region is a must for a day trip out by the way, its a world heritage site and you can see why
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    have a great time, maybe i,ll see you out .
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    6 of us are doing London to Carcassone area in July over 2.5 weeks with a house to stay in at the end destination. What are the thoughts of those with experience to the need for locks?

We will be staying en route at hotels/b&b not camping.
  • x8swift9x
    x8swift9x Posts: 268
    Stayed in one b&b, the owner insisted she took her car out of her garage so we could store our bikes inside. Very nice of her, even though we had d-locks with us (quite heavy!!)

When we were camping at the bottom of alpe dhuez, we were told about the serial bike thieves in the area - they come in at night and wander off with all the blingy bikes people take to climb the mt. So unless your going somewhere like that, cable lock?
    Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)