a few parts

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hey everyone! Looking at creating a form of hybrid singlespeed out of a crossbike i have sitting around not being used, and need a few parts.

Does anyone know of a decent priced brakeset front and rear that are decently light, but wont break the budget too much?

Also, on a crossbike, is it possible to fit the super skinny standard road tires on those rims, or would i need a new wheelset?

And as far as handlebars, what are good brands to look at for decent priced carbon sexiness?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Presuming you're looking at cantilever brakes - Tektro 520s are cheap and effective. For lightweight brakes look at TRP Euro-X or Froglegs - trickier to set up though.

Skinny tyres depends on the width of the rim - don't fit anything narrower than the external width of the rim e.g. 22mm.

Carbon bars? Why?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Presuming you're looking at cantilever brakes - Tektro 520s are cheap and effective. For lightweight brakes look at TRP Euro-X or Froglegs - trickier to set up though.

Skinny tyres depends on the width of the rim - don't fit anything narrower than the external width of the rim e.g. 22mm.

Carbon bars? Why?

I like the look alot, and the weight savings are normally pretty good compared to other materials. I am coming from the mtb world, so is it different in thw road world?
  • Can anyone recommend some decent bars then?
  • Can anyone answer the ?'s?

Would the hubs on a cross bike be the same width as on 700c wheels?