Soooo then, watching the rugger?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I have to be careful as an Englishman in darkest Wales bu so far Yeah Baby! I have to say though the Italians made my heart sing yesterday! Sore heads in Rome today?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    must be showing after the fact in Wales.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    i was at Twikkers, sank a barrel of Guiness and then fell off my bike on the ride home (while I was completely stationery). what a tool.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The weekend's viewing was good all round.

The worrying sign, however, is that, England aside, the Northern Hemisphere teams don't presently look like troubling the SH teams too much in the World Cup.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I was an Englishman in Cardiff on Sat, good game and the hangover has almost gone.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • cjcp
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 423731.stm :(

Remember seeing him in a game against Italy, might have been his first cap - awesome player.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I was an Englishman in Cardiff on Sat, good game and the hangover has almost gone.

Which bar(s) were you in?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    cjcp wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Do you really expect me to know that? :?

We were in the Yard before the game, The Brasserie after then some others....
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • cjcp
    Butterd2 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

Do you really expect me to know that? :?

We were in the Yard before the game, The Brasserie after then some others....

:lol: Just wondering if you were going to say Kiwi's...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

The worrying sign, however, is that, England aside, the Northern Hemisphere teams don't presently look like troubling the SH teams too much in the World Cup.

I don't even think England would trouble any SH sides either. Rugby wise this 6 Nations is pretty poor.

France don't turn up.

Wales turn up too late.

Scotland turning up and not bothering.

Ireland turning up but going home at vital parts of the game.

Italy turning up for about 40 minutes only.

England...right place, right time.

England's last game is going to be their toughest. And I have a feeling Ireland might just do it. Although they won't now as I've just said they will.
  • cjcp wrote:

Unless you were a Scottish linesman. In which case your view was inexplicably inaccurate...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Was in Swansea on Saturday for rugby and beers with some mates. Was fine, most locals seemed to think i was a Kiwi.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Unless you were a Scottish linesman. In which case your view was inexplicably inaccurate...

Nah - it's one of them tricks you see on the tellybox, innit. It was definitely the same ball. Definitely. :mrgreen:

(No-one's focused on the blatantly obvious knock-on by BOD in the lead-up to their penalty just before HT.)

@HTD - England don't look as flakey as they have done, and think that, apart from NZ, they'd have a very good chance against the others.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    only one rugby world cup final has not featured a NH team.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    England have improved greatly, especially at running the ball, but their centres are plodding and poor distributors and I reckon that's their achilles heel. They won't win via the forwards alone - South Africa destroyed them in the Autumn internationals and New Zealand at least got forward parity - while the backs (with a couple of exceptions) are too workmen-like.

Take a look at Robbie Freuan & Sonny Bill Williams playing for Canterbury (NZ). Brilliant passing, running and defending, yet they're only the second ranked NZ centre pairing.

Shame about Shane Williams retiring, but he's going out on top and leaving some fantastic memories!
  • cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Nah - it's one of them tricks you see on the tellybox, innit. It was definitely the same ball. Definitely. :mrgreen:.

I know you lot have trouble distinguishing sheep from humans sometimes, but you're supposed to have rugby in your veins. You should be able to tell one ball from another!
    jamesco wrote:
    England have improved greatly, especially at running the ball, but their centres are plodding and poor distributors and I reckon that's their achilles heel. They won't win via the forwards alone - South Africa destroyed them in the Autumn internationals and New Zealand at least got forward parity - while the backs (with a couple of exceptions) are too workmen-like.

Take a look at Robbie Freuan & Sonny Bill Williams playing for Canterbury (NZ). Brilliant passing, running and defending, yet they're only the second ranked NZ centre pairing.

Shame about Shane Williams retiring, but he's going out on top and leaving some fantastic memories!

Centre has been and remains an England weakness. They have got better at running lines off the ball carrier though, and releasing just at the point of contact. Still not distribution proper, though.

Although Banahan's first contact against Scotland's number 8 was quite something to watch. 6'7", and a centre? It's ridiculous, FFS. Unless you're a physical freak you can forget playing to a high level these days.

I'm going to go out on limb and say that Shane Williams is a world class winger. Against weak opposition. :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    jamesco wrote:

Centre has been and remains an England weakness. They have got better at running lines off the ball carrier though, and releasing just at the point of contact. Still not distribution proper, though.

Although Banahan's first contact against Scotland's number 8 was quite something to watch. 6'7", and a centre? It's ridiculous, FFS. Unless you're a physical freak you can forget playing to a high level these days.

Dentre pairing is definitely a problem. Greenwood was brilliant - don't recall someone as good as him for England since.

I'm going to go out on limb and say that Shane Williams is a world class winger. Against weak opposition. :twisted:

STONE HIM!!! HEATHEN!!! :P

On a more rationale note, I'll find the YouTube links, but Williams's tries against Habana and Loti Tequiri, then the brilliant tries against France in the last couple of years, and the one against Fiji (ok, not NZ) in the last WC are just dazzling. The man is a god, he might even be God. Yep, pretty sure he is.

@clarkey cat - true, but only one victory.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The man is a god, he might even be God.

Yes, but we have Nick "butterfingers" de Luca :lol::lol::lol:

Surely the man who can stop the likes of Sonny Bill Williams, Jaques Fourie, Ma'a Nonu or Quade Cooper dead in their tracks.......
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    The only game I will be watching played at Twickenham will be the Army V Navy game in May.

Even then I suspect I won't remember much afterwards :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men