Yoga - Whas reckon like?

15peter20
15peter20 Posts: 293
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Anyone do it?

I'm mid thirties and getting numerous aches and pains. Thinking of getting Ryan Giggs new DVD ('cos it's Yoga for real men right?).

Positive / negative experiences? Suggestions? TBH, I can't see myself in a room full of ladies sitting in the lotus position, but I'm willing to try something to keep me toned and injury free.

Comments

• Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    very hot yoga instructor convinced me to do a few lessons at my old gym! although there were plenty of not so attractive women to counteract the benefit of her being there!

probably would have had some benefit for me if i kept it up, but then again so would having a good stretch every morning, just got to find something to motivate you to keep at it
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I used to go out with a yoga instructor. She was a bit of a tree hugger and naval gazer, but when I watched her going through the motions and doing her stretches, oh boy!

When I was a kid I took dance classes and alot of the stretches we used to do were yoga based and very effective. I still do them every now and then, if I did them regularly maybe I'd be able to do the splits again, rather than not being able to touch my toes!

I'm sure doing the stretches involved in yoga (or Giggsy's DVD) would be very beneficial.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    One of our tax managers is a yoga trainer and she teaches yoga to a bunch of people from my office. I gave it a go last week but I overloaded my left knee and now it is very uncomfortable. I might add that I have broken the patella and I think the yoga overstressed it. Luckily, it hasn't affected the riding though...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • I did a lot of gym ball work and stretching (roughly what's called Pilates, I guess) when I was recovering from a broken leg, it helped me tremendously. Don't know about yoga as such, but do agree about the teachers :-)
  • 15peter20 wrote:
    Thinking of getting Ryan Giggs new DVD ('cos it's Yoga for real men right?).

Footballers cannot be considered real men, they argue over who gets the magic sponge, fall over blades of grass or take dives if someone so much as goes near them on a football pitch.

I'd avoid getting someones DVD that is trying to cash in on a trend and opt for some good old fashioned instructor that can bend around a rubber tree and actually knows of what they preach, the rule of thumb being the older and more wrinkles they have the better they are!

My local club sent an E-Mail around for Yoga the other month, the price they were trying to charge for a session made me wonder if the instructor supplied a "happy ending" after the stretching finished.

Buy new bike parts or go practice downward facing dog for a few hours, hmmmm, bike parts it is! rofl.gif
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I did it for a while with 2 very different class leaders one was v cool and chilled & all about the mental/relaxation side with the physical bit a way of properly stretching to relax, that was good, not too physical and a good wind down once a week. The other was into the suppleness and physical benefits it could bring, more technical positions, longer holds, repetition - it was extremely hard work, physically very demanding and we were pouring sweat by half way through.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Its good for you and all but I found it very boring.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • I've got the "Giggs Fitness" DVD. I find it very difficult. Various footballing ankle injuries have left my balance shot to pieces (injured ankles lose their 'spacial awareness' I was told by the physio), and I always opted to go home 5 minutes early than 'stretch' so I'm about as fexible as a plank on wood !

Dvd's spot on. As it's aimed at footballers/runners so emphasises stretches and strength of the quads, hamstrings and glutes. With some core work and upper body stretches thrown in too.

It's certainly hard work, and an area I need to work on.
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.