First time cleaning the bike

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
I got my bike about a month ago and its pretty mucky now

I was wondering what you would reccommend to clean your bike i.e. disc brakes, chain, frame the full shibang

All your tips on products etc is greatly welcome.

Thanks
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Great stuff thank you!

I was aware that certain things make disc brakes squeel etc and didnt want to be in that situation.
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • I have checked that site for the tips and hints what i would like to know now is what products are best to get? Muc off? Halfords own brand? what would you use to clean you bike?
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • Duggan13
    Duggan13 Posts: 75
    I use Muc Off as it seems fairly commonly used and you can spay it liberally without caring if it gets on your brake rotors. Make sure you rinse well though as I think it can fade or slowly strip paint/decals over time.

I read a cleaning fluid/spray review in MBUK or MBR a while ago and they said that something called Sh*t Shifter was the best one, never used it myself though.
  • Duggan13 wrote:
    I use Muc Off as it seems fairly commonly used and you can spay it liberally without caring if it gets on your brake rotors. Make sure you rinse well though as I think it can fade or slowly strip paint/decals over time.

I read a cleaning fluid/spray review in MBUK or MBR a while ago and they said that something called Sh*t Shifter was the best one, never used it myself though.

Thanks alot, im off down the bike shop tomorrow so will have a butchers for that!

Cheers mate!
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    I used to use muck off till i used fenwicks fs1
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fenwicks-fs1-bi ... re-bottle/
    Use it from the bottle as a chain/drivetrain degreaser and water it down 10 - 1 in a spray bottle as a general cleaner.
    Works out alot cheaper than muck off and is just as good.
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    I got a muc-off kit for the brushes then replaced the cleaner with fenwicks (diluted in the muc-off bottle) after running out.

The bike spray's been replaced with GT85 applied with a rag too as its allot easier to avoid contaminating the brakes.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Duggan13 wrote:

I would expect Sh*t Shifter to be quite good as it's made by HOPE, I might give it a try.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport