Paris - Nice Stage 8 **SPOLIER**

inkyfingers
inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
edited March 2011 in Pro race
Approx 50km to go, horribly wet conditions, 11 guys out front with 2 mins 50 back to the peloton. Escape includes Voeckler, Gerdemann and you guessed it...Vino!
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Comments

• Approx 50km to go, horribly wet conditions, 11 guys out front with 2 mins 50 back to the peloton. Escape includes Voeckler, Gerdemann and you guessed it...Vino!

Any feeds up and running? The ones on Steephill seem to be not up yet.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • inkyfingers
    Think Voeckler is going to win this. Sanchez is chasing.

Main GC guys taking no risks, guess this is what happens when you have a longer TT and the top 3 are all TTers.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Complete lack of ambition by Team Sky. At least make Tony Martin work for it.

• Thank you- perfect timing.

What a win!
  • inkyfingers
    Well done Voeckler, class act.

I think its been a good race, but not a great one in terms of GC battle. Agree with those on twitter saying it needs a summit finish to balance out the longer TT.
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    edited March 2011
    Surely wiggins could have attacked for second place? No ambition at all today.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ah damn its all over. That man takes it once again. If only more cyclists were like him; what a rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Stage 8 Results
    1 VOECKLER, Thomas (EUROPCAR) 3h 15' 58"
    2 ULISSI, Diego (LAMPRE - ISD) + 00' 23"
    3 EL FARES, Julien (COFIDIS, LE CREDIT EN LIGNE) + 01' 06"
    4 SANCHEZ GONZALEZ, Samuel (EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI)
    5 LOPEZ GARCIA, David (MOVISTAR)
    6 CARRARA, Matteo (VACANSOLEIL-DCM) + 01' 08"
    7 IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI, Gorka (EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI) + 01' 12"
    8 ROJAS GIL, Jose Joaquin (MOVISTAR) + 01' 22"
    9 SPILAK, Simon (LAMPRE - ISD)
    10 VAITKUS, Tomas (ASTANA)

General Classification after Stage 8
    1 MARTIN, Tony (HTC-HIGHROAD) 34h 03' 37"
    2 KLÖDEN, Andreas (RADIOSHACK) + 00' 36"
    3 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY) + 00' 41"
    4 TAARAMAE, Rein (COFIDIS, LE CREDIT EN LIGNE) + 01' 10"
    5 SANCHEZ GONZALEZ, Samuel (EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI) + 01' 13"
    6 PERAUD, Jean-Christophe (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 01' 24"
    7 BRAJKOVIC, Janez (RADIOSHACK) + 01' 34"
    8 LEIPHEIMER, Levi (RADIOSHACK) + 01' 36"
    9 MOLLEMA, Bauke (RABOBANK) + 02' 04"
    10 MONFORT, Maxime (LEOPARD-TREK) + 02' 26"

Top ten littered with TT riders. 3 Shack riders in the top 10 is a great result for that team.

Well done Martin.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Surely wiggins could have attacked for second place? No ambition at all today.

I can understand him not attacking in those conditions to move up from 3rd to 2nd, a crash on that descent could end your season. To be honest it was just nice to see Wiggins at the sharp end of a top bike race rather than riding round scratching his bum like he did at this time last year.

Just disappointing that Sky and Radioshack didn't really try and up the pace to try an put Martin in trouble, maybe Kloden and Wiggins just didn't have the legs.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Strong win from Martin and bravo to Wiggins a great 3rd.
  • Yup, good to see Wiggins challenging for something again
  • frenchfighter
    Nice to see Sanchez attack like that and move up to 5th. Results come to those who are prepared to go out a get them.

“I felt the bad weather was exhilarating”, the French champion said. “It pushed me to take some risks. When we dropped Carrara, who I knew was fast in a sprint, I was afraid of Ulissi because he didn’t wince at all and I didn’t know if he’s a good sprinter or not. I went on the front for the descent and I took more risks once Carrara was no longer on my wheel. I don’t like to take risks at every race I do, but when there is the possibility of a win around the corner, it’s worth it.”

Last 12km are up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8SvOZSz9Y
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Results come to those who are prepared to go out a get them.

I'm sorry but that clearly isn't the case in this race. The podium was made up of three time triallists who defending their positions valiantly for two days and barely attacked thirce between them
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,796
    Results come to those who are prepared to go out a get them.

I'm sorry but that clearly isn't the case in this race. The podium was made up of three time triallists who defending their positions valiantly for two days and barely attacked thirce between them

yeah the tt distorted the spectacle somewhat

a prologue would be better IMO

good race still not great but good
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

They defended the positions for the whole race, knowing they could take a sizeable chunk of time out of the field over a 27km ITT.
    Having done this, the past two days they have been happy to ride in file.
    Admittedly, conditions were lousy, but they attempted nothing.
    Biggest culprits, Radio Shack, not risking one of their 3 top 10 spots.

March, a very big race and already it's all about the TDF.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Surely it's the poor TTers responsibility to attack. If it was a bad spectacle that is why.
  • What about Ulissi? A brilliant ride for his first year in the big league.
    I have to big him up a bit as he's a member of our club... probably our best rider at the moment.
    http://www.gregarios.co.uk/cycling-club ... lissi.html
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206

I thought FF was referring to Voeckler attacking and going out for the win... Great ride by him, I thought people were taking it pretty carefully considering what happened in stage 7 with people off all over the place and that rider ending up under the van. Was he ok does anyone know? He looked like he got wedged underneath.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    From elsewhere on the forum;
    Update.
    Apparently, Kiserlovski finished the race 20 minutes behind !
    Since he was inside 3kms, they gave him @ 37".
    Chapeau, that man. French tv already had him in hospital. :oops:
    Phew!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    A full update on Kiserlovski here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kiserlo ... f-his-life

To summarize: 8 stitches in a head wound, hurts all over. Out of his next couple of races.
    Hopes to be back for the Giro del Trentino, so as to ride the Giro with Roman Kreuziger.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.