Singlespeed

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
yep have a read of the topic in the FAQs.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    we could do with a singlespeed section i bet theres plenty of people who ride singespeed
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lastwords wrote:
    we could do with a singlespeed section i bet theres plenty of people who ride singespeed

Plenty of websites catering for their needs out there. Just google 'hippie'.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lastwords wrote:

why? what is there that is not covered elsewhere? there is nothing different other than a lack of gears.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I guess they want a place where they can have their pictures of SS owners with funny bars and beards. I'd suggest keeping them on their own PC ;)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    [Admin]Keep the crap in the crud catcher[/Admin]
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    You can do it pretty cheaply with the conversion kits that are available. I did it on a GT hardtail using the DMR conversion kit (~£20), a new chain & some short chainring bolts.

You need a tool for removing the cassette but other than that you only need regular tools.

The only problem you might have is with the chainring. I removed the big & small ones but it might not be so easy with an older bike.

I'm loving my single speed & wish I had done it years ago.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Atz wrote:
    I guess they want a place where they can have their pictures of SS owners with funny bars and beards. I'd suggest keeping them on their own PC ;)

Oi, I've only got one of them. I'm not allowed the beard :lol:

Depends on how old the bike is, if it has a 5 bolt chainset you will need a 34t ring, as you don't get any smaller, but there is only about 4" difference between the two, assuming you use a 16t at the back, which is the most common for off road.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    I dabbled in SS for about 2 days before I reaslied the impracticalities for my commute. It was just too hilly to enjoy SS. I'd spin out far too easy going downhill and struggle going up hill.

As a test stick the bike in as close a gear ratio as you plan on converting your SS to, and DO NOT change gear for a week. See how it feels. My commute to work was really lengthened as I had to roll there at a much slower speed than I can pedal when in the top gear.

If I lived in a flat area i'd consider SS, but it's just too hilly to enjoy it where I live.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.