Cycling with acid reflux (Gerd)

mattblue
mattblue Posts: 88
edited October 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all,

Im a new member looking to get fit - have been very overweight for a long time now (18st6 / 5foot 11)

So to get the ball rolling ive ordered a Boardman Pro 2010 and am picking it up soon.

My main query is that I have developed Acid reflux (gerd) over the past two years and have daily meds for it.

With all the trail cycling does anyone find there symptons worsen when doing this type of cycling ?

Running is generally a no no for me so im hoping cycling will be able to aid my weight loss.

Cheers

Matt - South Wales
Boardman pro ht 2010

Comments

• No, why would it? :?

If it did, I'd go back to the doctors because the meds aren't working! :D
  • mattblue
    Was thinking because of the jumps whilst on trails - I take it you have the condition also ?
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • I do but mine doesn't sound as bad as yours... The meds totally control mine unless I go overboard on the booze and bad food.

So, do you still get acid even though you're on the medication? If it's that bad I'd go back to the doctor and look at what you're eating/drinking that's causing it.

I'd probably feel rubbish on the trail only if I'd eaten too much before riding and not leaving enough time to digest the food - that would probably happen to anyone.

As it goes though, I don't suffer with acid because of bumpy trails and I hope that you wont too :D
  • mattblue
    Cheers for the reply,,,,,I only really get the condition when Im sleeping, nexium takes care of the rest. I never get heartburn which is a big plus !!

Its a pain in the arse being on nexium but hey ho...

Im hoping I dont get any issues, only time will tell.

Cheers

Matt
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • Matt

I am on meds daily for rest of life (Lanzoprosole), cus of GERD and have scar tissue damage in chest as took so long to diagnose!

I find if I eat to soon before a ride, I suffer big time, as cus meds suppress acid in stomache, I am still digesting food while riding so get gas build up as bent over on bike and can get uncomfortable and get trapped gases or burping acid, which not good!

As don't know if just me, but I now developed an intolerance to certain food types due to meds changing chemical make up of stomaches, so some food bloat me big time if have to much and still under investigation, hence give food plenty of time to digest first.

Where possible I eat properly night before (get in carbs) if morning ride at weekend, or if afternoon Ill eat porridge for breakfast and if a night time ride I eat main meal lunch time..

Its just trying to eat right things at right time so you have the energy to do the ride...

I got to point now were i go out riding without eating rather than eat to soon... n just grab banana or some oats bars just prior n during rides if that the case.

Go luck mate, GERD if you have it bad, is a serious pain, literally!
  • mattblue
    Hiya mate,

Thanks for the reply, im also on tabs (nexium) and have been for 18 months.....I was on lanzoprazole (20mg) but they werent helping. I take the tabs as soon as i wake up in the morning.

As running is not really possible i thought id turn my attention to cycling.

Ill be doing quite a lot of road cycling to get my fitness levels up before turning to trail riding.

I am definately intolerant to a lot of foods now, but to be honest I dont put myself in a position where i'll be ill by eating the wrong stuff...Hell of a boring diet though!!

Luckily I do not suffer with daily heartburn, think ive had it 4 times in 18 months thank god !

Think ill take it steady and see how things go.

Cheers

Matt
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    mattblue wrote:
    Hiya mate,

Thanks for the reply, im also on tabs (nexium) and have been for 18 months.....I was on lanzoprazole (20mg) but they werent helping. I take the tabs as soon as i wake up in the morning.

As running is not really possible i thought id turn my attention to cycling.

Ill be doing quite a lot of road cycling to get my fitness levels up before turning to trail riding.

I am definitely intolerant to a lot of foods now, but to be honest I dont put myself in a position where i'll be ill by eating the wrong stuff...Hell of a boring diet though!!

Luckily I do not suffer with daily heartburn, think ive had it 4 times in 18 months thank god !

Think ill take it steady and see how things go.

Cheers

Matt

I've had boughts of acid reflux in the last three years, mostly sudden attacks at night, and while taking meds like Lansoprazole does control it I find I can minimize the effects by consciously slowing down at mealtimes. I tend to gobble my grub so that I can get on with more interesting things - but actually, eating more slowly, chewing everything really well, and avoiding strenuous activity for an hour after meals makes a big difference. Have to be careful what I mix too - red wine doesn't play nicely with tea, cream and other dairy. Guinness, on the other hand, is an elixir . . :)
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • timtak
    timtak Posts: 27
    Wearing a tight belt, or tight waist pouch strap, should I think be avoided too.