Gel

Supergoose
Supergoose Posts: 1,089
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Im not a fan of energy gels to be honest. I think I have used them twice in the last few years, however, I'm riding the Tour of Flanders sportive next month so the need to re fuel over 260k is very real.

Can anyone recommend me some gels that are at least palatable?

Cheers
Rock 'n' Roule

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    The SIS gels work for me. Taste fine and the Smart gels really do the trick when I find myself flagging sometimes towards the end of a ride (or at anytime actually!).
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,898
    I always use the SIS stuff and find that fine. I did try the ZipVit stuff once but the gel was so bad I had to throw it away after one mouthful.

But everyone will find different gels better than others and everyone has different tastes
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • The SIS gels seem OK to me. Although I really don't like the orange flavour (like really weak orange squash) the others, tropical and blackcurrant I think, aren't too bad.
    I've also tried the High5 ones. They were like wallpaper paste, the SIS are a bit runnier.
    Both work in that they give you a little boost when you need it but the SIS gels are more palatable.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • Supergoose
    Aye, I have tried some of them in the past but thick gloopy horrible and hard to get down your neck.

So the runnier stuff is what Im after. Looks like SIS might be worth a go.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Torq gels for me
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's quite a few food stops on RvV - about 5 from memory, stocked up with bananas, waffles, Isostar and all sorts of goodies - never needed to use any of the stuff I brought. By all means carry a couple for emergencies, but don't feel you need to carry 10 hours worth. There was also a Redbull stop about 40km to go which was pretty welcome.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Supergoose
    Monty Dog wrote:
    There's quite a few food stops on RvV - about 5 from memory, stocked up with bananas, waffles, Isostar and all sorts of goodies - never needed to use any of the stuff I brought. By all means carry a couple for emergencies, but don't feel you need to carry 10 hours worth. There was also a Redbull stop about 40km to go which was pretty welcome.

Ah, thanks for the feedback. That is good news. I will resist the temptation to carry half a days supply then. :)
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    SIS for me, certainly runnier than others.

More importantly though try them now, not on the day!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Tried a few and High5 seem to be the best so far.

Personally couldn't care about the taste, as find that they give me 'gripey stomach pains' (so just buy the ones that seem least impacting on the gut)

Don't usually use gels for cycling either (more running), as find they don't offer enough carbs if you are aiming for 1g/kg/hr. (think my High5 gels state - 3x per hour)

So personally prefer the bars, as offer offer more carbs (so need less) as well as being less of an impact on the gut. Again don't go for taste, but some are more moist than others (and hence easier to eat).

As above, try them in advance and not on the day. If you know the sponsors (and hence what's provided), then maybe safer to get used to those (and use the same)
    Simon
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Thumbs up for SIS
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Torq are the best tasting gels IMO.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Torq Strawberry Yoghurt and Rhubarb and Custard, tried them all and these taste the best.
  • clx1
    Torq Strawberry Yoghurt and Rhubarb and Custard, tried them all and these taste the best.
  • clx1
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,529
    i always find the sis gels too big. high 5 are nice and small and really thin, soeasy to get down your neck
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago