Mountainbike insurance

shx8000
shx8000 Posts: 222
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Who do you use, and how much?

Just got an online quote for my biike, which is a 2010 Trek Remedy 8, and it came in at just under £500, which is the same as I paid for my Impreza turbo STI with all mod's declared. absolute rip off.

Comments

• House insurance?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    M&S house insurance is highly rated

E&L are not highly rated

I used to pay £120 for one bike valued at £750, it's now on my house insurance (can't remember who it's with as I use an independent Financial advisor for all my house related stuff) so I don't know the cost of the bike insurance alone.

ETA quote came up at £324 for a £3000 bike in my postcode area

http://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • shx8000
    Don't have a house. In the RAF, and live in the block. Bike kept in my room and padlocked to the radiator. Room locked, block locked via a combination lock and 2 guards on the main gate with big guns. Pretty comprehensive security system lol.
  • Fast jet insurance?
  • shx8000
    Now that'd be a quote i'd not like to have to pay.
  • hehehe.

How much are you insuring the bike for then?

I always found cycleguard to be ok as long as you keep the bike indoors... which you are!
  • RichyK
    RichyK Posts: 6
    I've just put my new specialized stumpjumper and my old rockhopper on my house insurance I keep them both in my garden shed
    but to insure them both at home and away from home for their full value
    I had to list them as specific items and my premium went up by £128 pound a year
    which for the reassurance that I can replace them if they are stolen I think is not bad at all
    the company is ehome insurance
    do a search on google
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    RichyK wrote:
    I've just put my new specialized stumpjumper and my old rockhopper on my house insurance I keep them both in my garden shed
    but to insure them both at home and away from home for their full value
    I had to list them as specific items and my premium went up by £128 pound a year
    which for the reassurance that I can replace them if they are stolen I think is not bad at all
    the company is ehome insurance
    do a search on google
    He doesn't live in a house, he lives on a RAF base.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • shx8000
    Well bike was 3k, and all the bits i've upgraded have really added up, so i've valued it at £3200. Think the actual figure they wanted was £497. Only info asked for was value and my postcode. Never asked where it was stored, or even if it was locked up.

Have to have another look, and see if i can submit a more comprehensive application.
  • Have a search online for some insurance brokers - just like online search engines but you deal with an actual human being. :D I'm in the RAF too, and by actually speaking to someone you can talk about the building and how the bike is stored securely.
  • Does anyone know of a company that will insure my bike in the garage? .. Who keeps their bike indoors?..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does anyone know of a company that will insure my bike in the garage? .. Who keeps their bike indoors?..

I do. Have four inside at the moment, plus two in a garage at my son's school for the weekly mountain bike club ride, and he keeps his road bike in a shed at his mother's house.
    Don't bother to insure any of them.
    Have a mechanically perfect but dirty scratched rusty rat bike for the odd times I want to ride into town, lock it with a cheap combination lock, if anybody steals it they probably need it more than I do.
    The decent one's are either in the house, on the roof of my car, or being ridden.

Problem solved.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools